Steve Bruce's run in with the law!

9 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Back at the dawn of time, when they had the old black bakelite phones in boxes, you could "tap" the phone and get a free call. Used to spend up to a couple of hours talking to my then girlfriend and never paid a bean 

I take it you mean call box phone. go on then I've heard of it many times, but never seen it done, what was the m/o?

4 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I take it you mean call box phone. go on then I've heard of it many times, but never seen it done, what was the m/o?

Well, those old phones had a proper dial then, not push buttons...so you dialled your first number...say three...and you tapped the cradle rest three times before the dial got back to stop. You had to be a bit dextrous for eights and nines but practice made perfect. The alternative was to fork out 4d which was better used put towards 5 Park Drive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Back at the dawn of time, when they had the old black bakelite phones in boxes, you could "tap" the phone and get a free call. Used to spend up to a couple of hours talking to my then girlfriend and never paid a bean 

Mate of mine used to do it ...call to his brother in Australia....I was aghast.....he used to phone a number..tap the the disconnect tabs..in a certain way..then

"Hiya mate..Hows things"

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

4 police cars for a transfer charge call?

I know they are understaffed now (thanks Theresa) but they must have been massively over staffed then.

I remember watching 999 what's your emergency a few months ago. 

They had an elderly woman who had fallen down the stairs. 

They sent 2 ambulances and a helicopter to the scene. 

Understaffed my testis 

30 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Well, those old phones had a proper dial then, not push buttons...so you dialled your first number...say three...and you tapped the cradle rest three times before the dial got back to stop. You had to be a bit dextrous for eights and nines but practice made perfect. The alternative was to fork out 4d which was better used put towards 5 Park Drive.

It was when the telephone exchanges were on what was called a strowger exchange.

Tapping the switch hooks ( the thing the telephone handset rests on, acted like a dial)

On the old dial type phone, the number you dialled opened and closed two contacts as the dial went back. For example, if you dialled an 8, the contacts opened and closed 8 times. It was known as pulse dialling. So in essence you tap on the switch hooks the number you would normally dial. It was known as loop dial.

The mechanism did not recognise you were making a call, so did not promt you to enter any money.  

Then came MF dialling (multi frequency) which was a series of tones sent to the new electronic telephone exchanges and the tapping no longer worked. You could however buy a multi frequency tone generator and hold that to the handset and still by pass having to pay.

All that has gone now, along with the phone boxes. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dronfield Blue

17 minutes ago, poite said:

Understaffed my testis 

An Helicopter?

How high were the f.ookin' stairs????????????????????

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

4 police cars for a transfer charge call?

I know they are understaffed now (thanks Theresa) but they must have been massively over staffed then.

There would be ten cars turn up now and then finding the time to tweet some genius comment about catching the phantom reverse caller . 

6 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

Erm  .…………………….. button "A" to let the money into the box and connect thecal, and, button "B" to get your money back if not connected.

We used to push a bit of bogroll up the button "B" chute to stop the money coming out and then collect it later in the evening. Didn't take the adults long to suss that one out though, FFS.

15 hours ago, poite said:

Understaffed my testis 

Did they land the chopper in her back yard?

I have a mental picture of the chopper’s blades whirling round along with a washing line, big knickers, and her bras

• Haha 3