Boro to sue Derby...

9 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Surely he should be looking to sue the EFL and not a particular club? 

he should be looking to sue the premier league and sky for not giving him TEN times the 'failure' money they had 'given'.

perhaps he has a point though, maybe in the future the relegated sides should get 50 points start, as well as parachute money.

• Haha 2

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, Brommers said:

????

Far to subtle for me if it is.

Just change the ro for a u

But I will probably be accused of some outrageous PC crime 

My comedy is unfortunately very much 1970s 

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I blame the EPL for not bringing in better regulations and letting clubs spend the Sky money foolishly

once the money is 'given' it's difficult to stop teams spending at will, after all each and everyone are trading as independent companies.

as far as parachute payments go WE as one of a few 'early' clubs to fall, can testify the monstrous struggle to cope with the cancerous financial burden of relegation from the premier, and the years and even decades that follow it.

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Just change the ro for a u

But I will probably be accused of some outrageous PC crime 

My comedy is unfortunately very much 1970s 

More obscure than subtle!

PC should be seen as crime in itself MK.

Guest mkowl
Just now, dorian gray said:

once the money is 'given' it's difficult to stop teams spending at will, after all each and everyone are trading as independent companies.

as far as parachute payments go WE as one of a few 'early' clubs to fall, can testify the monstrous struggle to cope with the cancerous financial burden of relegation from the premier, and the years and even decades that follow it.

They seem to manage reasonably well in the NFL to try and keep it competitive.

Whilst the FFP rules are not popular it does seem a ludicrous business football where making huge losses is advocated

Just now, mkowl said:

They seem to manage reasonably well in the NFL to try and keep it competitive.

Whilst the FFP rules are not popular it does seem a ludicrous business football where making huge losses is advocated

answer me this, as i'm not clear on the subject.

IF say villa are promoted, the villa players will be in the managers office for a pay rise as they are now premier league players (fair enough, I can see their point).

a) BUT IF they are relegated does the newly given increased salary fall back to championship levels? if so then what's the parachute money for?

b) is it only for additions to their squad AFTER promotion, who were never on a previously lower championship wage? 

whether he'll win or lose I have no idea but Gibson is no fool and he must think theres a case to answer ……..ideally this should go to court and the court deciding that P&S is a farce and the league jettison it and allow clubs to spend what they want . 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

IF say villa are promoted, the villa players will be in the managers office for a pay rise as they are now premier league players (fair enough, I can see their point).

a) BUT IF they are relegated does the newly given increased salary fall back to championship levels? if so then what's the parachute money for?

b) is it only for additions to their squad AFTER promotion, who were never on a previously lower championship wage? 

I would have thought 99.9% of players have some relegation wage drop clause written into their contract.

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

As I understand it A will only happen if it's written into their contracts.

Just now, torryowl said:

whether he'll win or lose I have no idea but Gibson is no fool and he must think theres a case to answer ……..ideally this should go to court and the court deciding that P&S is a farce and the league jettison it and allow clubs to spend what they want . 

it would be very difficult to prove in a court of law that the english football championship is a 'fair and even' competition.

what next a 'staggered start' in the Olympic 100 m?

• Haha 1

Been browsing Middlesbrough forum. An interesting read as their supporters are split on this issue. I had thought a greater majority would be supporting Gibson's action. Mostly they question what it is that the club expect to gain in the unlikely event they win the case.

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

I would have thought 99.9% of players have some relegation wage drop clause written into their contract.

Just now, darra said:

As I understand it A will only happen if it's written into their contracts.

let's guess you're both correct, then the money is for players who arrive AFTER promotion is won then, yes?

2 hours ago, Stainless said:

Fully agree with this Gibson isn't able to financially steam roller his way over other clubs like he did in those days. As such he's now looking to try and stop those other clubs moving past Boro before they slip back to where they were 30 years ago. 

Agreed

10 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Irrelevant club trying to make themselves relevant. 

think that's a bit harsh I don't mind boro and i liked gibson  but this seems a deflection from their failure they were thought to be auto candidates at one point - he's lost my respect really because this is just sour grapes 

I'm sure most clubs would welcome a debate on where we go from here because P&S is flawed and divisive  and as a restraint is in no way compatible trying to compete with parachute clubs 

I think we'd all agree clubs' existence needs protecting but if a owner has the verified funds and would somehow legally commit them to the cause there needs to be discussion and agreement around somehow squaring that circle

• Like 1