Boro to sue Derby...

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Which IF that is the case (it is a loophole), then I can't see how Boro's case will have a leg to stand on. 

That's unless there is some other chicanery at play here. 

It can't surely and like others have said where will it end, will ever club in the EFL sue Derby, then us then Villa if they don't go up.

Madness and sour grapes of the highest order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m an armchair lawyer.....I could envisage a situation where Boro take leagal action against the EFL. Against Derby, not so much. 

Bottom line, how on earth can you police the sale of a businesses assets. EFL need to acknowledge what everyone knows, their rules are broken.

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

maybe if he hadn't employed footballs dinosaur pulis and got a ambitious manager ,they'd be promoted

funny how he's making a fuss about a team who finished above Middlesbrough

up there with pigs sueing westham over relegation

id suggest Gibson stfu and looks in the mirror at his own failures

Would this be happening had it been his borefest of a team in the final instead of Derby ? It’s an absolute embarrassment and sour grapes of the highest order , who does he actually think he is , surely this will get laughed out of court . Man City better watch out premier clubs could sue them next !!! Boro fans wonder what they make of this !! .

• Thanks 2

The P&S rules aren't fit for purpose, but Gibson is barking up the wrong tree here, and it smacks of sour grapes.

He needs to be asking why clubs with wealthy owners who are willing and able to invest in their clubs - just as he's been allowed to do in the past - are having to resort to settling their grounds and leasing them back in order to attempt to compete with the ludicrous amounts given to clubs such as his in the form of parachute payments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely a cursory look at Boros spending under Gibson will reveal there were times when he put extra money into the club. If selling the ground isn't against p and S or FFP or whatever then its the same thing as him putting cash in. 

The EFL may close the loophole but teams that have already done it while it's not illegal can't be punished retrospectively surely. It'd be like deducting points from clubs who went into admin before that punishment came in. 

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The P&S rules aren't fit for purpose, but Gibson is barking up the wrong tree here, and it smacks of sour grapes.

He needs to be asking why clubs with wealthy owners who are willing and able to invest in their clubs - just as he's been allowed to do in the past - are having to resort to settling their grounds and leasing them back in order to attempt to compete with the ludicrous amounts given to clubs such as his in the form of parachute payments.

Great post.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Surely a cursory look at Boros spending under Gibson will reveal there were times when he put extra money into the club. If selling the ground isn't against p and S or FFP or whatever then its the same thing as him putting cash in. 

The EFL may close the loophole but teams that have already done it while it's not illegal can't be punished retrospectively surely. It'd be like deducting points from clubs who went into admin before that punishment came in. 

Steve Gibson is just embarrassing himself here

He was the worst of the lot when it came to bankrolling football clubs in the 90s/2000s. The mega TV money wasn’t there then, Are you telling me that Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson, Boksic, Ziegler, Karembeu and the riverside stadium were all funded by the good people of Middlesbrough? 

Hes a hypocrite. Basically the money’s run out and he’s getting desperate 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Steve Gibson is just embarrassing himself here

He was the worst of the lot when it came to bankrolling football clubs in the 90s/2000s. The mega TV money wasn’t there then, Are you telling me that Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson, Boksic, Ziegler, Karembeu and the riverside stadium were all funded by the good people of Middlesbrough? 

Hes a hypocrite. Basically the money’s run out and he’s getting desperate 

Fully agree with this Gibson isn't able to financially steam roller his way over other clubs like he did in those days. As such he's now looking to try and stop those other clubs moving past Boro before they slip back to where they were 30 years ago. 

7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I'm no expert but as I understand it Derby haven't broken any rules (yet), it's a loophole there to be expolited and they have done so, we have reportedly done the same and other teams are following on.

The league are looking into it but as of yet its still legal.

The only rule They can have broken is an unrealistic valuation of the ground I would have thought- same with us.

2 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Would this be happening had it been his borefest of a team in the final instead of Derby ? It’s an absolute embarrassment and sour grapes of the highest order , who does he actually think he is , surely this will get laughed out of court . Man City better watch out premier clubs could sue them next !!! Boro fans wonder what they make of this !! .

I'm guessing that's the basis of the claim?

Guest mkowl

Boro increased the value of their stadium by 6.8m in their last accounts to June 18.

That won't be considered in the FFP calculations as boring technical point it does not go through the Profit and loss account whereas actually selling the stadium even to a connected company does

The net value of the stadium and training pitch was 49m after the valuation. Compare that to the 80m Pride Park was sold for, quite similar stadiums.

can we sue boro for selling us Jordon Rhodes and costing us 16 million over his 4 year deal for transfer fee/wages ? if we were sold a car and it was so faulty and ineffective we would want our money back .they also had an unfair advantage with the prem parachute payments ,its gibsons fault they wasted that and its gibsons fault that he employed 2 of the most depressing managers ever who`s only intension was to stop you scoring , if pulis/karanka where in charge at every club football would be dead and finished. who would want to watch that cr*p what they serve up. 

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

To say this whole thing is getting a bit out of hand...

Where does it end? 

When the whole P&S system is totally overhauled along with the system of Parachute payments.

Maybe Gibson is doing us all a favour

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And it's not just parachute payments relagated clubs benefit from. The EFL have also agreed (taken from here)

NOTE – Limit for Test 3 for EPL clubs

The limit I have given of £39m maximum loss is for clubs who have only been in the Championship.

This is calculated as £13m per EFL season. For clubs relegated from EPL their limit is £35m for each season spent in EPL plus £13m for each season in EFL.

So it seems to me that not only are relagated clubs in receipt of huge parachute payments, the divide is further increased by allowing for a greater losses too. At least, that's how I read it and as always, correct/educate me if I am wrong.

Whether I am right or wrong, I think we all agree that the current FFP (P&S) rules are simply not working, they are imbalanced, unethical from a business perspective, unachievable and iniquitous. The reason for having these rules seems sound; the rules themselves and their application is a farce.

Edited by ChapSmurf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m guessing borough don’t own their stadium.. if they do why doesn’t gibson just do the same? Or does he no longer have the money to do so? Genuine questions as I don’t know the circumstances at borough.

But when you look at dem blades McSue has done the same but in a more contrived way and no one blinked an eye lid. 

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

The only rule They can have broken is an unrealistic valuation of the ground I would have thought- same with us.

Or leading back at under market rates