Ben Hughes and Fraser Preston

I was surprised when they didn’t appear on the list of players not retained. Maybe, thoughts are, that they may be late developers Good luck to the pair of them

Edited by gurujuan

Did I miss something with Fraser Preston? The last thing I remember was that he played against Millwall and did well, then it feels like he disappeared off the face of the earth; now people are saying he’s not even worth keeping?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daftpenguin said:

Did I miss something with Fraser Preston? The last thing I remember was that he played against Millwall and did well, then it feels like he disappeared off the face of the earth; now people are saying he’s not even worth keeping?

Wouldn't worry about it, theres about 5 people on OT who I would listen to regarding our youth teams, and only one has posted on this topic :Sid:

• Haha 1

l

9 hours ago, daftpenguin said:

Like all the younger players who appeared under Jos, he just wasn't needed in the second half of the season under Bruce as players were coming back from injury and it was a more settled side.

Think with a lot of our U23’s we need to begin to loan them out and see whether they can cut it in league football. Thinking players like Stobbs have been around ages yet we still don’t know if they are capable of playing league football and developing. It’s one area of our club that has been disappointing for a number of years now

• Like 1

I think all clubs will feel the same about loaning their younger players out - i.e. that it'd be a good thing to do.

The problem is that unless the player is looking like a genuine talent then it would seem to be quite hard to find any takers.

For any club, there's little point in loaning players in or out unless that player is going to be genuinely challenging for a first team spot. If it's primarily to provide cover only - which often happens with keepers - then that's okay up to a point as it provides at least the experience of being involved in a first team set-up.

There's also the major issue of wages. I imagine the likes of Preston aren't on large sums of money, but whatever those wages are, you can be sure that it'd be a larger percentage of a lower-league club's entire wage bill, and therefore a decision that is all the more important for them to get right.

I seem to remember DC saying a couple of season's ago that he's not going to subsidise the wages of any out-going loan players anymore. I don't know if his take on this is something that still holds, but it's the kind of thing that absolutely doesn't help. Yes, you want the lower league club to take serious the prospect of loaning in players (which is less likely to happen if you hardly have to pay anything for it), but equally, if the alternative is that you end up with a player that isn't loaned out (when for their own development they really ought to be), then we only lose out in the long run.

As it is though, Preston, does look to me like a player that could make it in the game, and one that is almost certainly at the point where he needs to get himself regular games at first team level. I'd very well understand if received reasonable offers of a contract from clubs at League Two level, say, that he'd be seriously considering taking that up rather than staying with us and hoping for an un-guaranteed loan spell in order to further his development.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S61 Owl said:

Think with a lot of our U23’s we need to begin to loan them out and see whether they can cut it in league football. Thinking players like Stobbs have been around ages yet we still don’t know if they are capable of playing league football and developing. It’s one area of our club that has been disappointing for a number of years now

He had half a season on loan at Port Vale did Stobbs but couldn't get a game.  Same thing happened with Penney both at Bradford and Mansfield.

11 hours ago, cowl said:

I think all clubs will feel the same about loaning their younger players out - i.e. that it'd be a good thing to do.

The problem is that unless the player is looking like a genuine talent then it would seem to be quite hard to find any takers.

For any club, there's little point in loaning players in or out unless that player is going to be genuinely challenging for a first team spot. If it's primarily to provide cover only - which often happens with keepers - then that's okay up to a point as it provides at least the experience of being involved in a first team set-up.

There's also the major issue of wages. I imagine the likes of Preston aren't on large sums of money, but whatever those wages are, you can be sure that it'd be a larger percentage of a lower-league club's entire wage bill, and therefore a decision that is all the more important for them to get right.

I seem to remember DC saying a couple of season's ago that he's not going to subsidise the wages of any out-going loan players anymore. I don't know if his take on this is something that still holds, but it's the kind of thing that absolutely doesn't help. Yes, you want the lower league club to take serious the prospect of loaning in players (which is less likely to happen if you hardly have to pay anything for it), but equally, if the alternative is that you end up with a player that isn't loaned out (when for their own development they really ought to be), then we only lose out in the long run.

As it is though, Preston, does look to me like a player that could make it in the game, and one that is almost certainly at the point where he needs to get himself regular games at first team level. I'd very well understand if received reasonable offers of a contract from clubs at League Two level, say, that he'd be seriously considering taking that up rather than staying with us and hoping for an un-guaranteed loan spell in order to further his development.

Why not puting clouse in their deals where in weeks when they play we are paying their wages, and when they are not loaning club is. Nowhere near ideal, but would help out a bit. At least players we loan in would get a good look in, and play if they are good enough. In theory at least.. 

• Like 3

On 24/05/2019 at 22:20, McRightSide said:

I don’t want to sound harsh, but I can’t imagine their role to be much more than human training cones.

Preston at least, no idea of the other kid

You don’t know who Hughes is but he's a traffic cone.... owlstalk logic at its finest. Suggest you watch the lad , then form an opinion 

Edited by james o connor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 25/05/2019 at 09:39, S61 Owl said:

Great idea but there has to be clubs prepared to take them, which there obviously isn’t. 

2 minutes ago, David1867 said:

Great idea but there has to be clubs prepared to take them, which there obviously isn’t. 

Well United never seemed to have difficulty in sending out numerous players on loan. It's something we have definitely not been good at.

11 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Well United never seemed to have difficulty in sending out numerous players on loan. It's something we have definitely not been good at.

Maybe they’re just not quite good enough. 

United have a good reputation for producing players, we don’t. Hence why lower league clubs may come looking at their players. 

I know in the past Chansiri hasn’t helped by asking for loan fees and 100% wages paid by the loan club, in one case more than 100% of wages.