Josh Onomah

I fully enjoy partaking in transfer talk but events of the last couple of seasons have shown that spending millions on a player doesn't guarantee success and spending peanuts doesn't mean relegation. 

With Bruce in charge we finally have a manager who I 100% trust to make the correct decisions or at least get a majority of them right. I won't be sticking my nose up at anyone we sign this summer. If Bruce thinks it's right, I'm on board 

Edited by poite

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The one question mark Bruce has left me with is his seemingly unwavering belief in Josh Onomah.

Other than that I’ve really enjoyed how he’s taken us forward in his time with us

Conversely, this is one of the few rumours I’ve been happy with. Just shows, we all have different ideas about what’s needed

Spurs do seem to value Onomah highly and what with us having hardly any money to spend, I'd be surprised if we could get him.

Was injured far too often to really evaluate him as a player, and then when he was on the pitch he'd generally show only glimpses at best. Just wasn't involved enough for a central midfielder. When you think of the way Bannan almost 'demands' to dictate play (to the point of it being a fault I sometimes think), it puts Onomah's presence on the pitch to shame.

There was one game I seem to remember him grabbing by the balls - it was at home and he was getting knocked about a bit by the opposition and it just seemed to inspire him to what I remember as being a pretty good showing. But like I say, other than that, just the odd flashes here and there of a decent player.

Bruce really seems to like him though, which gives me genuine hope on his potential, but if it weren't for that and Spurs' apparent high rating of him, I'd not be overly impressed if we ended up spending whatever money I'd prefer to see us spending on Hector, on Onomah instead.

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

I reckon they'll want at least £6M+ for him. Maybe more. 

Not worth that on what we've seen so far. That's Reach money and I think Reach was better when we bought him than Onomah was last season.

I'm not saying don't buy him at the right price but £6M isn't the right price. I'd rather we spent the money on Hector (not £6m)

Never ceases to amaze me how many OT posters with no coaching badges and no scouting credentials know best and believe somehow the club should listen because they’re “not impressed”

Onomah has been a regular youth international for England, winning 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup and the 2014 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship. He has a professional contract with THFC who are regular Champions League qualifiers. 

Hes 22 and is and will be a quality player with a very good career. 

Those who claim he’s poo are more qualified than Pochettino, Steve Cooper Paul Simpson and Steve Bruce (apparently). Total joke

Personally I’d be delighted if SWFC could secure the signing of one of England’s brightest prospects. 

Not too sure I’d be comparing Onomah to Powell, slightly different types of player 

the lad didn’t really get going here but he’s got talent without a doubt, depends on what the fee would be , also doubt that source linking him is legit anyway 

we’ve been a bit of a target this week for getting linked to everyone and anyone 

He was pretty inconsistent with us but I saw some potential.

I like the idea of us signing younger and more athletic players.

I don’t think we should judge him too much on last season. It can take even world class players a season to settle, he played a lot of it under a poor manager and he might look a better player with a different type of team around him.

I get that he had a fair few awful games but then a lot of our players did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbear05 said:

He was pretty inconsistent with us but I saw some potential.

I like the idea of us signing younger and more athletic players.

I don’t think we should judge him too much on last season. It can take even world class players a season to settle, he played a lot of it under a poor manager and he might look a better player with a different type of team around him.

I get that he had a fair few awful games but then a lot of our players did.

Key for me is, younger and athletic Back on plan it would seem

Guest LondonOwl313
26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Conversely, this is one of the few rumours I’ve been happy with. Just shows, we all have different ideas about what’s needed

You’ve posted a lot in this thread and I think it’s fair to say that in a player you want them to be young, athletic and not miss too many games through injury above all other attributes. Problem is, at this level it’s difficult to get players that fit that mould that also are intelligent footballers. If a player did have all of those things, they’d quite quickly end up leaving for the prem.

Wednesday have a lot of good, intelligent footballers, but most of them are the approaching 30 or the wrong side of it, have their injury issues and when they do play, struggle for pace and athleticism. That’s the missing thing that meant we just weren’t quite good enough to go up. So we should add that to the squad.. but it doesn’t mean that everyone we have to sign is young and athletic. A few would make a difference as it changes the dynamics of the team. 

Above all we need consistency as this league is a much of a muchness, and consistency is what gets you promoted. We’d have to shake it all up on promotion anyway. We might as well sell the likes of Joao if we can get good money for him as whilst he has pace and shows good stuff at times, it’s not consistent and probably never will be after 4 years here. The money in his case would be worth more to the club than him staying. Conversely there are other players such as Fletcher who are consistent but lack pace and have no resale value due to age/wages. We might as well keep those types of player

4 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Played 32 times for Spurs

Played 30+ games in championship

Never played below championship level

Represented England at every level bar national team

22 years old

Has resale value

If the price is right, I'd rather sign him up than players from league 1 and 2 for the same price. This is a guy who has played in major tournaments. Won major tournaments. Played in front of 10s of thousands (be interesting to know the average attendance of spurs/villa/owls) and is a Bruce type signing. Don't really see the risk if the deal is good

Spot on 

Has potential, the attributes required for a modern midfield player and if a reasonable fee can be agreed it could be good business. Would like him to get stuck in more and have a bigger impact on games. 

Note Spurs still chasing Grealish. Perhaps this would be a way of part funding that, albeit only slightly. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

The one question mark Bruce has left me with is his seemingly unwavering belief in Josh Onomah.

It's been proven historically that managers just don't onomah what they are doing..... But I'll give this manager the benefit of experience of knowing what he's doing onomaobsilutely...