Millwall Away

4 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Disorder..??.. worse every Friday night in town but dont close the pubs. Assume disorder in the police vocabulary is lots of pointing.

Think there has been a fair bit of bother away from the proximity of the grounds. Plus that early season at ours in 2012 when they had their jolly boys outing.

3 hours ago, bradowl said:

QPR away a few years ago first game of season was a cracker even though we lost.

Young bird on row in front of us was in a reight state from drinking far too much, spent most of game laid on floor with everything on show. :wub: 

:Sid:

Watch the game !!! 

6 hours ago, swfcjam said:

Absolute rubbish. Us vs Millwall is a game both syp and the met police ask to be played on a midweek to stop trouble between the two sets of fans after disorder in recent years. Source.. Sheffield Wednesday football intelligence officer for syp

That's why all games between fans with troublemakers are played midweek. Oh no they aren't are they.... It's simply not true what you're saying. 

12 hours ago, Onge said:

Indeed - I've never understood the Millwall midweek thing either... I've been to all the Millwall away matches since we departed the Premier League and I've not seen any trouble at all - even when sharing the train with their fans. It is an odd one.

Hadn't twigged that QPR might be going the same way either... Again, if the reason is down to the behaviour of the supporters it's a mystery to me why. Unless a lot of Owls fans end up in the home end with these fixtures?

You must have been fortunate to miss the trouble heading back to the South Bermondsey train station after we beat them 2-1 under Terry Yorath. 

3 hours ago, Offside_Owl said:

That's why all games between fans with troublemakers are played midweek. Oh no they aren't are they.... It's simply not true what you're saying. 

Did I say all games between fans with trouble makers? I have no knowledge of any other fixtures or when they may or may not be played. This specific fixture we are discussing I know for a fact over the past 2 season has been played midweek at the request of the police. I was told this by a police officer. Many other fans who regularly attend away games will no said police officer. I/he has no reason to make this up. 

Just now, Harrysgame said:
10 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think there has been a fair bit of bother away from the proximity of the grounds. Plus that early season at ours in 2012 when they had their jolly boys

Oh yes, that outing was against the blades forgot that one. Wouldn't date try that at ours would they! !

15 hours ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2016/june/behind-the-scenes-at-the-efl-fixtures-qa-with-competitions-manager-paul-snellgrove/

This gives their side of it. A couple of long distance away games midweek seems fair; but not sure why it’s always at Millwall and QPR. Would make more sense to rotate it slightly.

On the other hand if they stuck Forest, Derby and Villa midweek we’d complain they were spoiling good days out.

Forest was midweek this season. Right bag of vvank.

8 hours ago, katie melua said:

You must have been fortunate to miss the trouble heading back to the South Bermondsey train station after we beat them 2-1 under Terry Yorath. 

We've played them on Saturdays since then though.  There have been a couple of incidents when they've played up here more recently but nothing out of the ordinary down there that I recall.  As I said earlier it's odd that they'd insist that we only play there in midweek but not Leeds, Villa, pigs, Sunderland, Cardiff etc.

20 hours ago, alanharper said:
I love a London awayday but can't really manage it midweek. Millwall away in midweek does seem to be a deliberate thing though, and QPR as well lately (even when we played them in daylight a couple of years ago it was Easter Monday).  I read somewhere that it's because of Wednesdayites causing trouble but I haven't seen any bother at London away games for years. Yet it's OK for us to be at Fulham, Brentford, Charlton, Orient on a Saturday but not Millwall - whereas Millwall seem to have no issue with playing potentially powderkeg games against Leeds, Villa, Sunderland, pigs, Birmingham, Cardiff etc. at home on a Saturday in recent years.

Are they still sulking about that Frankie Simek winner, and playing us in daylight will give them flashbacks?!

Fancy. Wednesdayites causing trouble? At Millwall?! Only Met Police could come up with that one!

True story... I was walking from the Tube station to the New Den (on the Frankie Simek Winner / Lee Bullen In Goal day) and I overheard a conversation between several police officers and a bloke who had just parked up in his Beemer...

"I wouldn't park there, sir" says Sgt Dixon.

"Why not? There are no yellow lines and I'm not blocking any driveway or anything." says the motorist

"Well, it probably won't be there when you get back" says the policeman in a withering voice.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:19, swfcjam said:

Absolute rubbish. Us vs Millwall is a game both syp and the met police ask to be played on a midweek to stop trouble between the two sets of fans after disorder in recent years. Source.. Sheffield Wednesday FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE OFFICER FOR SYP

OXYMORON ALERT, FFS lol 

• Haha 2

On 24/05/2019 at 09:51, Musn't Grumble said:

Fancy. Wednesdayites causing trouble? At Millwall?! Only Met Police could come up with that one!

True story... I was walking from the Tube station to the New Den (on the Frankie Simek Winner / Lee Bullen In Goal day) and I overheard a conversation between several police officers and a bloke who had just parked up in his Beemer...

"I wouldn't park there, sir" says Sgt Dixon.

"Why not? There are no yellow lines and I'm not blocking any driveway or anything." says the motorist

"Well, it probably won't be there when you get back" says the policeman in a withering voice.

There was a video on YT a few years showing about 100 lads going down to meet up with their Millwall "friends".  Looked a menacing bunch.  

One of them could have been @Costello 77

Went to the old ground only the once and they didn’t bother us at all. Seem to recall Sheringham scored, and the win put them top of the 1st Division, now Premier League. 

In that era away support was shocking. We only used to take 400/500 to places like Millwall, Spurs etc.