Millwall Away

So when do the fixtures come out so we can find out which Tuesday night we play Millwall away :biggrin:. Not played them on a Saturday since 2005. QPR is as bad it makes you wonder what the people at the EFL are on or is it just laziness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love a London awayday but can't really manage it midweek. Millwall away in midweek does seem to be a deliberate thing though, and QPR as well lately (even when we played them in daylight a couple of years ago it was Easter Monday).  I read somewhere that it's because of Wednesdayites causing trouble but I haven't seen any bother at London away games for years. Yet it's OK for us to be at Fulham, Brentford, Charlton, Orient on a Saturday but not Millwall - whereas Millwall seem to have no issue with playing potentially powderkeg games against Leeds, Villa, Sunderland, pigs, Birmingham, Cardiff etc. at home on a Saturday in recent years.

Are they still sulking about that Frankie Simek winner, and playing us in daylight will give them flashbacks?!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PortlandOwl said:

They're policy of putting long distance trips on during the week is because they assume that not many people would travel in any case.

Yeah exactly. For most clubs it doesn't make much of a difference as midweek or not they'll only take 500 or so, but for us where we take 3k plus regularly it makes a difference.

17 minutes ago, alanharper said:
I love a London awayday but can't really manage it midweek. Millwall away in midweek does seem to be a deliberate thing though, and QPR as well lately (even when we played them in daylight a couple of years ago it was Easter Monday).  I read somewhere that it's because of Wednesdayites causing trouble but I haven't seen any bother at London away games for years. Yet it's OK for us to be at Fulham, Brentford, Charlton, Orient on a Saturday but not Millwall - whereas Millwall seem to have no issue with playing potentially powderkeg games against Leeds, Villa, Sunderland, pigs, Birmingham, Cardiff etc. at home on a Saturday in recent years.

Are they still sulking about that Frankie Simek winner, and playing us in daylight will give them flashbacks?!

Indeed - I've never understood the Millwall midweek thing either... I've been to all the Millwall away matches since we departed the Premier League and I've not seen any trouble at all - even when sharing the train with their fans. It is an odd one.

Hadn't twigged that QPR might be going the same way either... Again, if the reason is down to the behaviour of the supporters it's a mystery to me why. Unless a lot of Owls fans end up in the home end with these fixtures?

Given the influence that’s Sky has on when games are actually played, the publication of the fixture list is nothing more than ‘directional’ anyway.

We’ve featured on TV less over the last couple of seasons and I’ve almost got used to a fair chunk of Saturday 3pm kick offs!

2 hours ago, Mickjj said:

So when do the fixtures come out so we can find out which Tuesday night we play Millwall away :biggrin:. Not played them on a Saturday since 2005. QPR is as bad it makes you wonder what the people at the EFL are on or is it just laziness.

That game when Frankie Simek scored wasn't as long ago as that was it? Really?

The actual reason is that clubs prefer long-distance away games to be played midweek as it enables them to do the game in a day (if they wish) without the need for the expense of an overnight stay in a hotel.

Obviously some clubs will still do it as a stop over the night before, but many on a budget will coach it there on the morning, play the game, and coach it back.

It's nothing to do with some games being moved to midweek due to fan trouble.

37 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

The actual reason is that clubs prefer long-distance away games to be played midweek as it enables them to do the game in a day (if they wish) without the need for the expense of an overnight stay in a hotel.

Obviously some clubs will still do it as a stop over the night before, but many on a budget will coach it there on the morning, play the game, and coach it back.

So we have asked for this then due to being a bit strapped !! 

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

Orient...tell me haven’t been relegated again?!!

1 minute ago, fatzooma said:

Orient...tell me haven’t been relegated again?!!

We've played at Orient twice this decade - both on Saturdays. And at Millwall five times - all midweek, and QPR five times - all but one midweek..

1 hour ago, Offside_Owl said:

That still doesn't really make sense though, otherwise the midweek games would all be long distance but they're not. Last season our midweek away games were Millwall and QPR (like always!), plus much shorter trips to Forest and Bolton, whereas games at the likes of Ipswich, Brentford, Reading were weekends. 

And why is Millwall away always midweek but Fulham and Brentford never are?