SWFC record achievements

On 20/05/2019 at 13:32, Lincs Owl said:

George Robledo in 1952 was first American to play in a FA Cup Final.  For Newcastle. Chilean. 

America is a continent, not a country. 

so George Robledo is either South American or Chilean.

Harkes is Either North American or American, so therefore the first American.

simples

51 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Weren’t we the first team to be 3-1 up in a penalty shootout and lose? (v Wolves) 

We were actually 3 nil up after 5 and all the next 7 went against us, surely still the only club to do it. (That Pressman pen though).

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

We were actually 3 nil up after 5 and all the next 7 went against us, surely still the only club to do it. (That Pressman pen though).

I remember being in the bookies and we were 4-0 down with ten minutes to play. Odds for us to win were 100/1. The bookie, a loose mate of mine called over and asked if I wanted a bit of it. "odds have to be higher dude," I called to him. "At that score I'll give you 500/1"

He said, laughing histits off. I'll take a tenner on it, ses I. And a room full of witnesses.  15 minutes later I was walking out with cheque for 3K, two grand in my pocket and a smile on my face, lol 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 23:10, cognacbarnowl said:

I remember being in the bookies and we were 4-0 down with ten minutes to play. Odds for us to win were 100/1. The bookie, a loose mate of mine called over and asked if I wanted a bit of it. "odds have to be higher dude," I called to him. "At that score I'll give you 500/1"

He said, laughing histits off. I'll take a tenner on it, ses I. And a room full of witnesses.  15 minutes later I was walking out with cheque for 3K, two grand in my pocket and a smile on my face, lol 

Was this just a dream?

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I've been trying to recall a game where we came back to win after being 4-0 down with ten minutes to play. Must've somehow forgotten it.

Well it's such a regular occurrence that it's not really memorable any more!

I reckon he must have been playing FIFA in Ladbrokes...

On 21/05/2019 at 14:49, OWL1969 said:

That wasn't a penalty, it was an artillery round!

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I've been trying to recall a game where we came back to win after being 4-0 down with ten minutes to play. Must've somehow forgotten it.

Not 4-0 down but didn't we come back from 4-1 down v Charlton about 30 years or so back? Won 5-4

Just checked date 3rd Jan 1983.

11 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Not 4-0 down but didn't we come back from 4-1 down v Charlton about 30 years or so back? Won 5-4

We were a goal up early on then 3-1 down at the break with Alan Simonsen running riot.  Think we pulled it back to 3-3 but they went ahead again before Steve Gritt scored that own goal and Lyons got the winner. 

11 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Remember coming back from 2-0 against Reading...couldn't get offa work early, So ran down from the Hallamshire..totally p*ssed off..had a row with a turnstile operator cos he wouldn't accept me season cos it was going on half time..got in..losing 2-0...I was thast annoyed that Iwalked along the bottom of the eastbank..back round to the same turnstile operator..had a r ow aboult letting me out...got the 62 bus at Hillsborough...got back to Bradfield....Won 3-2...

FFS!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Well it's such a regular occurrence that it's not really memorable any more!

I reckon he must have been playing FIFA in Ladbrokes...

I do believe we were away to Notts County. I'll try to find the year.

9 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I do believe we were away to Notts County. I'll try to find the year.

I can remember us beating Notts 5-1 away in the 73/74 season.  Can't think of any game where we've come back from 4-0 down in my 50 odd years of watching.