Norwich want Rhodes

On 20/05/2019 at 10:08, gurujuan said:

Didn’t Forestieri get 20 goals in his first season for us, or near enough? For me that’s the difference, with Rhodes, you might just get the goals, with Forestieri, you get so much more

No. 15. Two of which were pens.

Then 13.

Then 5.

Then 6.

On 20/05/2019 at 23:21, Pulsar said:

You could well be right but I heard exactly the same said from one of my Blunts mates a couple of years back regarding Billy Sharp.

He's not stopped singing his name lately. 

Billy Blunt didn't cost SUFC their ground

• Haha 1

May i suggest that maybe the agent of Jordan Rhodes has a vested interest to get his client another move and if there are reports out there that Norwich want to keep him, then maybe other clubs would think it a good idea to see if they can get him too.

Basically i do not buy it, i think Rhodes will be with us in pre-season and then loaned to League 1 before end of the transfer window, either that or he is sat on our bench or not in the squad most of the season. It really is 1 giant mistake Wednesday have made wasting all our money on Rhodes, Van Aken, Abdi and Jones.

51 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Billy Blunt didn't cost SUFC their ground

Tha what!?

What a strange tangent you choose to take, 

JR hasn't cost us ours either, it's a culmination of mis-management.

Your teabags are too strong.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fred mciver said:

Well they can pay a fair price for him then.

A minutes played v goal scored comparison  will confirm he's still a top striker.

18/19 - 6 in 1010 mins = goal every 168 mins

Yep. Nothing wrong with that. Beats everyone at S6 this season except Joao, who scored every 160 mins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Yep. Nothing wrong with that. Beats everyone at S6 this season except Joao, who scored every 160 mins.

That's just in the league. If you add in the cup games it's a goal every 133 mins for Rhodes

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Well if Bruce can’t find a place in the side for Joao, given those stats, he’s hardly likely to find a place for Rhodes, who offers  nothing but goals

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Aye and when Rhodes was given exactly the same service as the rest of our strikers he was poo, even the much ridiculed Nuhiu outshone him.

13 minutes ago, Walt said:

Aye and when Rhodes was given exactly the same service as the rest of our strikers he was poo, even the much ridiculed Nuhiu outshone him.

So presumably Joao’s total is the equivalent of 20 goals a season then, if he’s managed better than Rhodes has this season, and with rubbish service

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So presumably Joao’s total is the equivalent of 20 goals a season then, if he’s managed better than Rhodes has this season, and with rubbish service

It's a pretty pointless comparison isn't it - comparing a striker in the League winning side to the strikers in a side that was a bit meh.

We had the true comparison when Rhodes et al played in the same Wednesday sides, where they all received the same service.

What really Fvvcks me off in this Rhodes debate is that there are always people that assert that the team needs to change to meet Rhodes’ needs rather than Rhodes adapting to meet the team’s needs.

Rhodes ought to pull his thumb out of his arse. He also should stop being selfish and stop just playing for himself. When Forestieri plays selfishly, he’s labelled by some as petulant and disloyal but when Rhodes plays selfishly, he’s never held to account and all and sundry are blamed instead. 

Someone needs to be frank with Rhodes because he’s taken the p155 whenever he’s played for us IMHO. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, shandypants said:

What really Fvvcks me off in this Rhodes debate is that there are always people that assert that the team needs to change to meet Rhodes’ needs rather than Rhodes adapting to meet the team’s needs.

Rhodes ought to pull his thumb out of his arse. He also should stop being selfish and stop just playing for himself. When Forestieri plays selfishly, he’s labelled by some as petulant and disloyal but when Rhodes plays selfishly, he’s never held to account and all and sundry are blamed instead. 

Someone needs to be frank with Rhodes because he’s taken the p155 whenever he’s played for us IMHO. 

I think the issue is that Rhodes, for all his goalscoring exploits over the years, is a fairly limited all-round footballer who doesn't really have it in his locker to adapt his game to any great degree. He's a penalty-box poacher - that's it.

He has a very specific skillset, and one which can be very effective if used in the right way. You can ask him to be a link-up player, but he'll never be great at it. You can ask him to be a target man, but he'll be wasting his time on something which detracts from his natural attributes. He's a bit of an anachronism, but if you want to get the best out of Rhodes, he simply has to be selfish, in the style of many a goal-poacher of yesteryear.

Now I'm not suggesting that we should adapt our way of playing to accommodate Rhodes, and I doubt Bruce is going to do so, but we certainly should have given more careful consideration to how we were going to use him before we paid a king's ransom to sign him.

At this point, we can insist that Rhodes tries to change his natural game if we like, but we're only going to end up with an average footballer whose only natural talent - and one which made him the the division's most potent goal-poacher for several seasons, of course - is going to be dulled as he wastes his time trying to contribute in areas where he's not really capable.

To channel my inner Carlos for a moment: you don't buy a Ferrari and use it to plough a field. Although ironically, it was Carlos who did just that in this particular instance.

On 22/05/2019 at 17:05, Walt said:

Have to agree with that.

Rhodes lost me at that dreadful Bolton away game a couple of years ago.

He had two pinpoint crosses to attack for certain goals and he bottled both.

Didn't want to put his head where it might hurt. Showed a complete lack of desire and commitment. Left me fuming.

On 22/05/2019 at 11:39, Pulsar said:

Tha what!?

What a strange tangent you choose to take, 

JR hasn't cost us ours either, it's a culmination of mis-management.

Your teabags are too strong.  

Correct. Only person responsible for thr ground fiasco (if true, still waiting for the books), is DC.