Norwich want Rhodes

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Didn’t Forestieri get 20 goals in his first season for us, or near enough? For me that’s the difference, with Rhodes, you might just get the goals, with Forestieri, you get so much more

No, I’m pretty sure he got 16 which is his best season ever goals wise at this level.

19 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

But doesn't the 4 million we owe Boro become payable immediately if we sell, which means we're bringing 2 million in this season, but paying out 4 milion, doesn't make financial sense to me.

But if we keep him for another year we still owe Boro £4 million, plus we will have paid Rhodes another £1.5-£2 million in wages and he leave on a free. Better to sell him and be grateful for whatever money we get. Only reason we wouldn't want to sell is if Bruce thinks he's going to build a team around him next year.

For Norwich this could make a lot of sense as well. Pukki is clearly their first choice but they will need a striker to come off the bench when they are chasing a game. Someone is is happy being a bit-part player at that level and doesn't cost a fortune.

26 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

But if we keep him for another year we still owe Boro £4 million

We pay Boro 2 million per season over the length of his contract

If we keep him another year we will have paid 2 million, so will owe 2 million

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We pay Boro 2 million per season over the length of his contract

If we keep him another year we will have paid 2 million, so will owe 2 million

But surely either way, whether we sell him now or release him at the end of the season we still end up paying £4 million over the course of the next two years. Doesn't really matter that much whether we do it now or in 2020. Plus if we keep him another year that's close on another £2 million in wages spent.

Whereas if we sell, we receive a fee, that should make a decent dent in the £4 million - plus we save on having to pay high wages for a guy that's not been in the first team for two seasons.

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

I’d still love for Bruce to coach Rhodes & have a look at him in training. SB will be aware of his career over the years & that he’s a ‘free’ signing. His talent just doesn’t evaporate into thin air.

If the talent is built on confidence, the general level of football at the time, and being at your peak physically, then changes do happen.

Somewhere between Blackburn and Middlesborough he lost half a yard of pace which he was never really blessed with.

His confidence also took a huge knock - see penalties.

Football has moved on, the general level is a lot higher in terms of pace, physicality and 4-4-2 being a generally outdated system in which a 'fox in the box' thrives.

He's yesterday's man.  Move on.

39 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

But surely either way, whether we sell him now or release him at the end of the season we still end up paying £4 million over the course of the next two years. Doesn't really matter that much whether we do it now or in 2020. Plus if we keep him another year that's close on another £2 million in wages spent.

Whereas if we sell, we receive a fee, that should make a decent dent in the £4 million - plus we save on having to pay high wages for a guy that's not been in the first team for two seasons.

From a person far more knowledgeable about P&S than me, a poster on here previously showed how selling Rhodes would seriously impact on our P&S rolling year limit. I *think* the 4th year £2m owed would roll into being £4m in the 3rd year, and therefore that would give us £2m less to play with. Then you factor in the £1m loan fee we received as income. When P&S is as close as it has been at Hillsborough, that could be the difference between a breach (and transfer embargo) or not.

49 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

If the talent is built on confidence, the general level of football at the time, and being at your peak physically, then changes do happen.

Somewhere between Blackburn and Middlesborough he lost half a yard of pace which he was never really blessed with.

His confidence also took a huge knock - see penalties.

Football has moved on, the general level is a lot higher in terms of pace, physicality and 4-4-2 being a generally outdated system in which a 'fox in the box' thrives.

He's yesterday's man.  Move on.

You could well be right but I heard exactly the same said from one of my Blunts mates a couple of years back regarding Billy Sharp.

He's not stopped singing his name lately. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I find it very surprising that Norwich are wanting to keep Rhodes, got the impression his season there was not terrible but not great either.

Football is full of surprises.

Remember when Premiership Tottenham loaned Andy Booth from us? 

On 19/05/2019 at 15:47, Suzuki_San said:

Last year of his contract though...not sure we'd be able to ask for that much.   

Bruce seems keen though, so win/win.  Ask for a high fee and get it? Great.  They refuse and we keep him? Great.

Good point 

I would seriously let him leave on a free.

However, as many have said, I would trust Bruces's judgement on this,

He's certainly not going to build his team around him, buy players to get the best out of him, change system etc. That's absolute nonsense and Rhodes is nowhere near a good enough player to deserve that kind of accommodation. 

Either Rhodes shapes up and adapts his game to what Bruce wants, or he can try his luck elsewhere.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:51, lt109 said:

it also says Bruce is a fan, well he was in April.

"But Owls boss Steve Bruce is a big fan of him, having tried to sign him twice in the past at Hull City and Aston Villa.

Speaking to The Star in April, Bruce said: "He is somebody who I have always liked as a player. You look at his goal-scoring record, it’s second to none"If he comes back, then good, let’s see what we do. But I haven’t given it any real thought process just yet and I (won’t do) that really until probably after this weekend."

"I can’t see any reason why (he can't get back to his best). He’s a decent age. I can’t see any reason why not."

Sounds like Bruce rates him and wants to give him a run here. Hope not as I dont think even Bruce will get him back to his best, his legs have gone. Worrying. Hopefully theres truth in this article, cant see why theyd want him though.