Norwich want Rhodes

3 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

"Use him in the way Norwich use him"....errr! You mean to get us promoted like?

Jordan Rhodes got Norwich promoted? lol

If his goals were expunged from the records Norwich lose 6 points and are still promoted. I'm not even going to compare it to Pukki, but Vrancic's goals alone gained them 14 points and he's not even a striker. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Talk of us wanting £7m is all a bit of posturing. 

Norwich last week leaked to their local rag they wanted him on a free transfer.

Neither of those scenario's are going to happen...and both clubs know it. 

There is definitely a deal to be done which suits both parties.

Given that we paid £8m over four years (whether some of that was appearance, goals, bonus related, who knows...if it was, we'll have saved a bit of that fee because he won't have triggered any), then we've still got £4m spread over two years on the P&S accounts. 

I think a deal between £3.5-4.5m, perhaps weighted by some triggers, is the golden number. We will have essentially wrote off what we currently "owe" on the accounts, and actually recouped a fair % of the entire fee, given Norwich's loan fee and promotion bonus last season. 

And Norwich have a striker who scores goals at Championship level, who knows the system and philosophy they play and is settled in the area, for a bargain price of approx. £4m. 

Norwich will do well to find a striker with the record of Rhodes for less than that. 

Agree - its all about risk - do Norwich sign a proven player that they don't know from another English club or another country, and what would they have to spend to get him (£5-7 million gets you absolutely nothing nowadays especially now everyone knows Norwich are Premier League - albeit they struck gold with Pukki) - or do they stick with what is known and sign Jordan Rhodes?

Stating £7m then accepting somewhere between £3.5m-£5m is entirely reasonable... or we keep him and play him properly.

28 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Madine isn't worth £6m though, that was a laughable panic buy by Warnock after he had his only goalscoring purple patch since 2012. 

He was deemed to be worth £6m to Cardiff though.

You can’t pretend it didn’t happen and sweep it under a carpet just because you don’t agree with it!

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If we use him in the way Norwich use him, off the bench for the last 10 minutes. He’s too much of a liability to start games, unless we are playing a lower division team

I'm not sure I'd class him as a liability, just a striker with a very specific skillset which requires his teammates to deliver the ball to him in ways from which he can capitalise. 

He's an anachronism: an old-school goal-poacher whose all-round play isn't all that great, but who knows how to make space and get on the end of decent balls into the box.

I can't see him being part of Bruce's plan A, but it will be interesting to see if he wants to keep him in order to benefit from his goals from the bench as Norwich have done.

36 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Jordan Rhodes got Norwich promoted? lol

If his goals were expunged from the records Norwich lose 6 points and are still promoted. I'm not even going to compare it to Pukki, but Vrancic's goals alone gained them 14 points and he's not even a striker. 

OK smarty pants...do tell why...in your opinion...does Farke want to keep him if he was so inconsequential in their promotion.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

He was deemed to be worth £6m to Cardiff though.

You can’t pretend it didn’t happen and sweep it under a carpet just because you don’t agree with it!

It was 18 months now though. How long do we keep quoting this one mad transfer as some kind of precendent that’s having any bearing on the market. Cardiff were desperate and stupid. I don’t think Norwich are either of those.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

It was 18 months now though. How long do we keep quoting this one mad transfer as some kind of precendent that’s having any bearing on the market. Cardiff were desperate and stupid. I don’t think Norwich are either of those.

So desperate and stupid that they gained promotion to the PL?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan48 said:

give him away if necessary - get him off the payroll ,lets move on to better .

Why would we give away a player who - even if we're unable to agree a fee to sell him - we'll more than likely be able to loan out again, recouping a loan fee plus his wages for the year?

And that's assuming that Bruce doesn't want to keep him as part of his squad in the first place, which he may well do.

'cos we are paying him a fortune in wages and I cant see that many suitors willing to take a risk on him , on loan , in the same way that Norwich have done and as many on here have already said , he's hardly set the league alight at Norwich so no longer as attractive as he once was .

15 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

So desperate and stupid that they gained promotion to the PL?

Yes, in this respect. Madine didn’t score a single goal. Norwich are already promoted. They’re not desperate and don’t appear to be too stupid. 

2023 and people will still be saying ‘yeah but Cardiff once payed way too much for Madine so you never know’. You generally do.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, alan48 said:

'cos we are paying him a fortune in wages and I cant see that many suitors willing to take a risk on him , on loan , in the same way that Norwich have done and as many on here have already said , he's hardly set the league alight at Norwich so no longer as attractive as he once was .

Oh! I don't know...many women find a man more attractive as they get a bit of maturity under their belt, especially one who is earning a fortune in wages.

3 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Oh! I don't know...many women find a man more attractive as they get a bit of maturity under their belt, especially one who is earning a fortune in wages.

Why are you so adamant in wanting Rhodes to stay at Wednesday, what have you seen I haven’t since his arrival ? . Do you believe it’s down to Steve Bruce  taking over ? 

45 minutes ago, alan48 said:

If they've watched him average a Championship goal every 168 minutes in mostly brief cameos, then they might.

Plus there's the fact that we're currently in negotiations with Norwich as they're keen to sign him permanently.

I still don't understand why we'd want to give him away rather than recoup some money on him.

2 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

OK smarty pants...do tell why...in your opinion...does Farke want to keep him if he was so inconsequential in their promotion.

I genuinely don't know, perhaps they're lovers. They're not desperate to buy him for the previously agreed price though are they so don't rate him that highly.

Personally I think there are far better ways of spending £3-4m and around £40k pw on wages than on a striker who can't get into the team in the division below and flopped in his only previous spell of PL football but I certainly wouldn't stand in their way and will happily take their cash. 

3 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Agree - its all about risk - do Norwich sign a proven player that they don't know from another English club or another country, and what would they have to spend to get him (£5-7 million gets you absolutely nothing nowadays especially now everyone knows Norwich are Premier League - albeit they struck gold with Pukki) - or do they stick with what is known and sign Jordan Rhodes?

Stating £7m then accepting somewhere between £3.5m-£5m is entirely reasonable... or we keep him and play him properly.

Love these kind of quotes. "keep him and play him properly". Suggests we didn't play him in his favoured position or put him on penalty duty, or put crosses in.

Fact is he got a run of games in his favoured position. He got given penalty duty, but he laboured, missed chances, looked slow, flicked on to the invisible man, scuffed a peno and tbrn refused to man up at the peno shootout even though our other main striker had gone off injured. 

I'd rather play my gran. Play him properly, i think the Rhodes rose tinted may have had a frontal lobotomy administered by Hannibal Lector as parts of seasons where Rhodes was given fair whip have been forgotten. 

He's garbage, end of. 

9 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Love these kind of quotes. "keep him and play him properly". Suggests we didn't play him in his favoured position or put him on penalty duty, or put crosses in.

Fact is he got a run of games in his favoured position. He got given penalty duty, but he laboured, missed chances, looked slow, flicked on to the invisible man, scuffed a peno and tbrn refused to man up at the peno shootout even though our other main striker had gone off injured. 

I'd rather play my gran. Play him properly, i think the Rhodes rose tinted may have had a frontal lobotomy administered by Hannibal Lector as parts of seasons where Rhodes was given fair whip have been forgotten. 

He's garbage, end of. 

So you don't rate him?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

He's garbage, end of. 

But the guy at Norwich who wants to sign him is about to become Man U' s DOF so can't be too bad.

And their current false news campaign to drive down price is pathetic.

Look at his goals to time played ratio - one of best in league.

37 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I genuinely don't know, perhaps they're lovers. They're not desperate to buy him for the previously agreed price though are they so don't rate him that highly.

Personally I think there are far better ways of spending £3-4m and around £40k pw on wages than on a striker who can't get into the team in the division below and flopped in his only previous spell of PL football but I certainly wouldn't stand in their way and will happily take their cash. 

Form is temporary, class is permanent. He's scored goals in his sleep all his career...except for his time for us. Right boss...right motivation...right supply... he'll score.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davey_wells said:

I agree. Rhodes' wages are probably no higher than what Norwich would have to pay to any other striker they might bring in, in fact Cattermole at Sunderland is earning that, and they will also have to pay a considerable transfer fee. It seems to me Norwich are trying to get Jordan dirt cheap but I suppose we don't really know what they've offered. Each position in the PL pays 1.9 million and everybody gets 100 million or more so they've got the money.