TINKERBELL

Best English player you've seen at Hillsborough

Posted (edited)

Andy Pearce

*This post sponsored by the "Please for the love of everything holy and unholy get Costello his bloody Science section because he is doing my head in FFS!* party. All donations go to buying Neil a new bath in trade for the Science section.

Edited by marcx666

On 19/05/2019 at 18:38, handworth52 said:

paul canoville is his name ,I was at that game. should start a new thread on players we used to hate. frank mcavennie ,Kerry Dixon, mickey Thomas all played too all were tools.

Bloody nightmare that game  cruising at half time. Then cannoville had the game of his life  never did much else in football after that. Exciting yes but could have won the cup that year.

On 19/05/2019 at 02:37, WadsleyOwl said:

John Barnes 1988

SWFC 1-5 Liverpool, Beardsley and Johnstone got two each but it was Barnes that ran the show. The best performance I’ve ever seen by an individual apart from Waddle v WHU 

I remember that game well. Liverpool had a brilliant side that season and should have won the double.

I was on a kids football team trip that day and we were all sat in the South Stand lower at the front towards Leppings Lane. Watching Barnes running down that wing was an amazing experience for an 8 year old. 

• Like 1

If not Waddle then Gazza 

Sir Bobby Charlton

I get your Waddles, Hirsty in his prime aswell , Carlton should have a few more mentions aswell and the Michael Owen one is a great shout 

But for overall consistency, and been the best centre half the clubs ever had (and ever likely to have anytime soon) without absolutely no doubt in my mind.... it’s Des Walker 

Paul Merson the year Portsmouth went up in 2003. We were obviously very poor but seem remember he was clapped off by a few Wednesdayite's that night. 

Teddy Sherigham and Kevin Phillips always used to seem to score against us. Saw Sherigham score at Hillsborough for Tottenham, Man U and then later for Colchester United 

Surprised Ian Wright doesn't come up a lot - He stands out in my memory as a constant nuisance every time Arsenal visited.

• Agree 1

Shearer, Merson, Sheringham were always class acts

Waddle was amazing

but Hirsty in his prime was simply unstoppable...we forget that now

• Agree 1

On 19/05/2019 at 08:22, Lincs Owl said:

Stan Mathews of Blackpool and Pele twice although neither did a great deal in the games I saw.

Best Law and Charlton were unstoppable in the first half of the 5-4 win in 1968.  

He got loads of England Caps Pele. 

Michael Owen in 98 and Adam Johnson for Boro two best performances against us. 

Des Walker for us, can't remember him ever having a bad game. 

Posted (edited)

There where many when u was younger. 

For me though one of the ones that sticks out the most in my memories was a LEFT BACK!. 

The year we got relagated under big Ron , Stuart Pearce was absolutely unplayable for them. 

Its not often you get torn to shreds by as I said a left back but he did that day in a 0-3 win for forest. 

Always admired Pearce and would have loved him at Hillsborough when I was still a school kid. Imagine Mel Sterland at rb and Pearce at lb, that would have been one hell of a fullback pair back then

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Royal_D said:

I get your Waddles, Hirsty in his prime aswell , Carlton should have a few more mentions aswell and the Michael Owen one is a great shout 

But for overall consistency, and been the best centre half the clubs ever had (and ever likely to have anytime soon) without absolutely no doubt in my mind.... it’s Des Walker 

Walker's consistency was amazing and like Roland, never seemed to have a bad game.

14 hours ago, cfox198 said:

Paul Merson the year Portsmouth went up in 2003. We were obviously very poor but seem remember he was clapped off by a few Wednesdayite's that night. 

Teddy Sherigham and Kevin Phillips always used to seem to score against us. Saw Sherigham score at Hillsborough for Tottenham, Man U and then later for Colchester United 

Merson tells a story that when he got subbed in that game, he was walking down the tunnel and a Wednesday fan threw a fiver at him and told him to get himself a pint. Merson said "if I had to watch this shyyte every week I'd have to be pi$$ed"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Remember Blackburn coming to Hillsborough and David Batty absolutely bossing midfield. Had his critics for England but he was a force for Blackburn in their title winning season. Teddy Sheringham always looked a class player. Waddle was absolute genius though. That West Ham match. 

Edited by basegreenowl

10 hours ago, basegreenowl said:

Remember Blackburn coming to Hillsborough and David Batty absolutely bossing midfield. Had his critics for England but he was a force for Blackburn in their title winning season. Teddy Sheringham always looked a class player. Waddle was absolute genius though. That West Ham match. 

Thought batty was a very good player. Never understood the stick be got. 

• Agree 1

Waddle. Only Di Canio was a better player for us.

On 22/05/2019 at 06:25, cfox198 said:

Sheringham also scored at least a couple of times against us for Millwall at their place, can't remember if he did at Hillsborough as well.

I couldn't remember him scoring against us for Colchester, but looked it up and he scored in the first minute and we lost 2-1 in 2007. I have no memory of that game or him playing against us for Colchester whatsoever, even though I was there! But give me a random game from the early 80s and I'll probably remember it in great detail...

8 hours ago, alanharper said:

Sheringham also scored at least a couple of times against us for Millwall at their place, can't remember if he did at Hillsborough as well.

I couldn't remember him scoring against us for Colchester, but looked it up and he scored in the first minute and we lost 2-1 in 2007. I have no memory of that game or him playing against us for Colchester whatsoever, even though I was there! But give me a random game from the early 80s and I'll probably remember it in great detail...

NURSE!!!

On 22/05/2019 at 07:25, cfox198 said:

Didn't he play for about 30 minutes in that game, and then got broke in half by Craig Armstrong (or was that when we played them away ?)