TINKERBELL

Best English player you've seen at Hillsborough

On 19/05/2019 at 06:40, oldowl67 said:

Slight variation on the question but one of the best individual performances at Hillsborough has to be Jordan Rhodes, the Englishman who qualifies for Scotland because he lived there for a while, in the game in December 2011 when he scored all four goals for his team!

lol

A bit left field but i remember Warren Barton having an absolute stormer against us whilst playing for Wimbledon. Dont recall a fullback having so much influence on a game (insert Fox jokes here) before or since.

Best player in a Wednesday shirt, Waddle without a doubt and his best performance was the West Ham game. Class.

13 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Waddle, Walker, Warhurst, Witham, Wilkinson, Warboys ……. Seems to be a trend developing here, FFS lol 

You forgot Worthington and Whittington. :Sid:

Just now, Brommers said:

Yeah but the latter behaved like a wee pipe!

lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brommers said:

Wilcockson too, lol but my fingertips had started bleeding by then so I gave up  :sad:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2019 at 14:21, siowls said:

Am I right in thinking that Michael Owen still holds the title for youngest player to score a hat-trick in Prem?

Ach, what was I playing at for the third goal? Should never have played him onside.

Edited by Emerson Thome

On 18/05/2019 at 23:38, Manwithastick said:

Based on actual performance at Hillsborough? Michael Owen.

I remember him tearing us new A-holes when he was 18, Best Wednesday Player?? Waddle

On 18/05/2019 at 23:38, Manwithastick said:

Based on actual performance at Hillsborough? Michael Owen.

This. 

That game where he scored a hat-trick... he was immense. 

2 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Wilcockson too, lol but my fingertips had started bleeding by then so I gave up  :sad:

Warhurst was fantastic in the semi away at Blacburn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waddle turning Ryan Giggs over on the right wing many tImes against manure.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Phil the Power Taylor .......

True story .......

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Phil the Power Taylor .......

Snap....

lol

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 02:46, alanharper said:

Despite being England's all time leading scorer and second most capped player ever, I don't think Wayne Rooney ever actually played against us which is unusual. Well maybe not that unusual, we were shiiit for most of his career!

I wondered if he may have played against us in a friendly for Everton in 2004 when they won 6-3 but it seems not. 

He was injured during Euro 2004. 

Still got his autograph underneath South Stand. :Chansiri:

Best I've seen live was Rhodes when he scored 4 for Huddersfield. 

For us: Des Walker, Chris Waddle, 

Against us: Gazza 

On 20/05/2019 at 08:49, Musn't Grumble said:

Some good calls on here (Michael Owen, Bobby Charlton, Chris Waddle...) all deserve a mention but, for me, Bobby Moore was the best.

His game had everything. His tackling was legendary, his vision was remarkable his leadership was inspiring and he could pass to a sixpence sixty yards away.

Bear in mind also that England won the World Cup with Moore as captain alongside not the most gifted of footballers, Jack Charlton, and that will give some measure as to the quality of Moore.

His game didn't have everything,I'm referring to his lack of pace obviously.

14 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

His game didn't have everything,I'm referring to his lack of pace obviously.

Moore's pace was good enough to track back and tackle world class players like Tostao, Jairzinho and Pele (see some of the '70 World Cup matches). Pele would claim that Moore and Beckenbauer were the best defenders he played against. I remember seeing Moore play at Hillsborough for West Ham in the late 60s and wherever the ball dropped in the West Ham half, he always seemed to be there. A quick drop of the shoulder, and he would play the ball out of defence with ease.

His languid style and his ability to read the game certainly gave the impression that he wasn't very fast but few players could turn and outstrip him at the time.

He might have slowed down a bit by the time he joined Fulham in his mid-30s but he was still very competitive in the second tier until he effectively retired after short spells in the US in his late 30s and, after making a brief "emergency cover" comeback, again in his mid-40s..

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 02:37, WadsleyOwl said:

John Barnes 1988

SWFC 1-5 Liverpool, Beardsley and Johnstone got two each but it was Barnes that ran the show. The best performance I’ve ever seen by an individual apart from Waddle v WHU 

I was just about to post the same thoughts. I remember when we scored, you could actually see Liverpool decide that they were going to score again. That final against Wimbledon came a week(?) too late for them.