TINKERBELL

Best English player you've seen at Hillsborough

4 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Why? 

I've never been happy with how things have gone for Paul Gascoigne since his fantastic playing days. 

There has to be a point where he takes responsibility for his actions sometimes. 

The people with who he chooses to frequent and the actions he undertakes.

You can't keep using his 'illness' to justify his catalogue of misdemeanors.

I didn't. 

If you are personally disappointed in the way Paul Gascoignes life has deteriorated over the past 20 odd years then fair enough that’s certainly your prerogative. I suppose I’m just uncomfortable with labelling a man with obvious mental health problems as a “disappointing human being”. Without knowing the particular difficulties his “illness” poses him on a day to day basis I’m unsure whether any of us could advise him on getting to grips with his life. It strikes me as similar to telling someone with depression to cheer up. Excellent footballer & a massive shame he’s never found anything to fill the void it left behind. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

If you are personally disappointed in the way Paul Gascoignes life has deteriorated over the past 20 odd years then fair enough that’s certainly your prerogative. I suppose I’m just uncomfortable with labelling a man with obvious mental health problems as a “disappointing human being”. Without knowing the particular difficulties his “illness” poses him on a day to day basis I’m unsure whether any of us could advise him on getting to grips with his life. It strikes me as similar to telling someone with depression to cheer up. Excellent footballer & a massive shame he’s never found anything to fill the void it left behind. 

It's only the last couple of years that i have felt confident enough to open up to loved ones that i struggled with both depression and mental illness and continue to do so.

I am however fortunate to have had my own business to occupy and focus my mind aswell as have a multitude of interests that allow my contentment from turning to other thoughts and moods, including SWFC. 

Above all else i have let go certain people from my past and embraced both family and friends i once used to shut out because despite being an 'illness' or however people like to call it, i and many others do have a choice to behave in a certain way despite the power of the demons. 

So i do feel i am in a position to have an opinion.

If i had done half of the things he has then i would be disappointed in myself.

Yes it's difficult sometimes but i do listen and value my help.

I obviously don't have a bigger void to replace as I've never been a professional footballer so I'm also disappointed that he spurned the coaching and management positions he had and was offered. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

It's only the last couple of years that i have felt confident enough to open up to loved ones that i struggled with both depression and mental illness and continue to do so.

I am however fortunate to have had my own business to occupy and focus my mind aswell as have a multitude of interests that allow my contentment from turning to other thoughts and moods, including SWFC. 

Above all else i have let go certain people from my past and embraced both family and friends i once used to shut out because despite being an 'illness' or however people like to call it, i and many others do have a choice to behave in a certain way despite the power of the demons. 

I obviously don't have a bigger void to replace as I've never been a professional footballer so I'm also disappointed that he spurned the coaching and management positions he had and was offered. 

Fair do’s fella & I’m glad you’re in a better place & long may it continue. I’m just reminded of something someone once said to me - if you meet a person with mental health issues you’ve met one person with mental health issues. Everyone has their own battle to fight & it’s personal to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

Fair do’s fella & I’m glad you’re in a better place & long may it continue. I’m just reminded of something someone once said to me - if you meet a person with mental health issues you’ve met one person with mental health issues. Everyone has their own battle to fight & it’s personal to them.

I do wish i had used different terminology though as i used to love Gazza as a player and character. 

I think i should have said "i am disappointed where he is as a human being" but that doesn't sound too complimentary either. 

I've never been happy with the circus of the tv cameras following him around as i don't think this has helped him in the slightest but it was always going to happen. 

I guess this is why he needed expert guidance and the help to adhere to it.

• Agree 1

Mental health issues are a tw@t,I'm on meds for it and it's a day to day struggle so my heart goes out to people whos in same boat as me x

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Waddle, Walker, Warhurst, Witham, Wilkinson, Warboys ……. Seems to be a trend developing here, FFS lol 

For us; Hirst before Bould and intermittently afterwards. Waddle. If only Hirst had been fully fit to benefit from Waddle's creativity. 

Best opposition player I remember is Jurgen the German. However out of English players it has to be Gazza or Barnes. 

What I would like to add is, however ungainly he 'appeared' Carlton Palmer was immense in midfield. He was able to wrap those lanky legs round much more skilful players to win the ball, his energy was relentless and he NEVER gave up. He was the engine that allowed that luxury of Sheridan and Waddle. He didn't do anything less than Vieria afterwards at Arsenal it's just he didn't 'look the part'. A truly underrated and unfairly dismissed player. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When Gazza was 10 he was looking after his mates younger brother when he ran in the road and was killed. He blamed himself for his death and says this has always affected him. Must have contributed to the problems he had later in life. 

9 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Waddle, Walker, Warhurst, Witham, Wilkinson, Warboys ……. Seems to be a trend developing here

FFS lol 

They're all blokes aren't they?

• Thanks 1

On 19 May 2019 at 06:56, Magic Rat said:

Bobby Moore.

Some good calls on here (Michael Owen, Bobby Charlton, Chris Waddle...) all deserve a mention but, for me, Bobby Moore was the best.

His game had everything. His tackling was legendary, his vision was remarkable his leadership was inspiring and he could pass to a sixpence sixty yards away.

Bear in mind also that England won the World Cup with Moore as captain alongside not the most gifted of footballers, Jack Charlton, and that will give some measure as to the quality of Moore.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

I have got to give a mention to Kevin Keegan who came to Hillsborough playing for Scunthorpe in a cup game, run us ragged for 90 min. 

We should never have let him out of the ground until he had signed a contract with us.

Bobby Charlton and Gazza were also very good...

I remember Keegan being interviewed many years ago (too many!!) about the plight of football in certain areas of England whereupon he stated that Doncaster Rovers were watching him for quite some time then decided not to sign him as he was "too small"

He cited this as one of the reasons why!

Posted (edited)

For Wednesday Waddle, Walker, and Hirst. 

Shearer, Owen, Gazza, Lineker...

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

13 hours ago, Pulsar said:

13 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

11 hours ago, Pulsar said:

I do wish i had used different terminology though as i used to love Gazza as a player and character. 

I think i should have said "i am disappointed where he is as a human being" but that doesn't sound too complimentary either. 

I've never been happy with the circus of the tv cameras following him around as i don't think this has helped him in the slightest but it was always going to happen. 

11 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Mental health issues are a tw@t,I'm on meds for it and it's a day to day struggle so my heart goes out to people whos in same boat as me x

11 hours ago, Nut said:

When Gazza was 10 he was looking after his mates younger brother when he ran in the road and was killed. He blamed himself for his death and says this has always affected him. Must have contributed to the problems he had later in life. 

Pulsar, it’s really encouraging that you have the confidence to talk about your struggles and steps forward to control your mental illness but, surely, you must realise that there is not just one mental illness and not all people can cope as well as others. It looks like Gazza struggles to cope OR when he did/does “stumble”, everyone was able to see him do so. 

Lucky enough to see Moore Hirst Peters WHU and Charlton with MU.

Best performance I think was Lineker for Everton here. He was unplayable. He scored the first 2 and they beat us 5 1.

For us its Waddle.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Pulsar, it’s really encouraging that you have the confidence to talk about your struggles and steps forward to control your mental illness but, surely, you must realise that there is not just one mental illness and not all people can cope as well as others. It looks like Gazza struggles to cope OR when he did/does “stumble”, everyone was able to see him do so. 

I absolutely agree Shandy, i had the odd stumble myself so i made a decision to stop drinking.

It was difficult and still is at times but things are much easier without the bad influence of alcohol.

There's only so much help people can offer, there has to come a point when Gazza takes responsibility and welcomes and heeds his help.

Stopping drinking would be a massive step. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I absolutely agree Shandy, i had the odd stumble myself so i made a decision to stop drinking.

It was difficult and still is at times but things are much easier without the bad influence of alcohol.

There's only so much help people can offer, there has to come a point when Gazza takes responsibility and welcomes and heeds his help.

Stopping drinking would be a massive step. 

Indeed

13 hours ago, Pulsar said:

I met Gazza a few times on the train from/to York and London when he was at Newcastle and Spurs.  I thought he was a top, top bloke and human being.

1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Some good calls on here (Michael Owen, Bobby Charlton, Chris Waddle...) all deserve a mention but, for me, Bobby Moore was the best.

His game had everything. His tackling was legendary, his vision was remarkable his leadership was inspiring and he could pass to a sixpence sixty yards away.

Bear in mind also that England won the World Cup with Moore as captain alongside not the most gifted of footballers, Jack Charlton, and that will give some measure as to the quality of Moore.

you didn't  need to be a gifted footballer to play centre half …..big jack was up there with the best of them when it comes to defending .

Gazza without doubt, and just think if he had led a footballers life instead of the path he chose (Obviously he did not choose his mental health issues) he would have been up there with Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo.

A character and a genius.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paddyowl said:

Gazza without doubt, and just think if he had led a footballers life instead of the path he chose (Obviously he did not choose his mental health issues) he would have been up there with Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo.

A character and a genius.

...and he was for a time - from about ‘88 to ‘91? The thing is that, due to various things, he didn’t keep that “world’s best” level of performance throughout the latter part of his career.

I honestly believe he could have been the best ever.