TINKERBELL

Best English player you've seen at Hillsborough

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Best one I've seen live is Paul Gascoigne. 

Fantastic footballer. 

Disappointing human being

A bit harsh that. He was mentally ill - something that is now recognised and treated (to an extent) rather than ridiculed and the exploited. Gazza needed support and never got it. I see him as a tortured soul rather than a disappointing human being. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, alanharper said:

He didn't,  we won 5-2 and he scored 2. Sibon scored a hat trick.

Crouch did look good though, and he was still only a teenager.  

Good memory that. Crouch is certainly the tallest player I've ever seen at Hillsborough as I was reminded in his little cameo for Stoke last season.

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Despite being England's all time leading scorer and second most capped player ever, I don't think Wayne Rooney ever actually played against us which is unusual. Well maybe not that unusual, we were shiiit for most of his career!

I wondered if he may have played against us in a friendly for Everton in 2004 when they won 6-3 but it seems not. 

I thought it may be a good quiz question, after Rooney who's the most capped England player who never played against Wednesday in his career.

But then I got the answer disappointingly quickly in just a few seconds, answers on a post card.   I bet you have to go a long way down the list to find the next one though, obviously it'd have to be a post 2000 player. 

Sad thing is that we have not seen an entire generation of PL players, English or otherwise at S6. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, shandypants said:

A bit harsh that. He was mentally ill - something that is now recognised and treated (to an extent) rather than ridiculed and the exploited. Gazza needed support and never got it. I see him as a tortured soul rather than a disappointing human being. 

I appreciate that but his well documented physical violence towards his wife Sheryl during his playing career was well before his illness.

I've had certain mental health issues as I'm sure many have on here but I've been quite fortunate in good direction and healthy family and friends support network.

His bad choice in friends and constant drinking didn't help his journey to 'diagnosis'

There are multiples of other instances including repeated racism that will always leave me disappointed in him Shandy.

• Agree 1

George Best,

as much an English man as Gerrard would ever be, (scouseshit).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sibon said:

Andrei Kanchelskis

Don’t know why people are laughing at this.  Based on actual performances at Hillsborough he is right up there.  His performance for Everton was stunning, one of the few times in my life I’ve genuinely seen one player win a match on his own.

If he was English it would’ve been fine.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Don’t know why people are laughing at this.  Based on actual performances at Hillsborough he is right up there.  His performance for Everton was stunning, one of the few times in my life I’ve genuinely seen one player win a match on his own.

Maybe they read the thread title. 

Just now, alanharper said:

Maybe they read the thread title. 

Yeah, I spotted that 5 seconds after (see edit)

lol 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I appreciate that but his well documented physical violence towards his wife Sheryl during his playing career was well before his illness.

I've had certain mental health issues as I'm sure many have on here but I've been quite fortunate in good direction and healthy family and friends support network.

His bad choice in friends and constant drinking didn't help his journey to 'diagnosis'

There are multiples of other instances including repeated racism that will always leave me disappointed in him Shandy.

Gazza has acted despicably at times, no doubt and I appreciate where you’re coming from but it was quite obvious that Gazza was ill a long time before his well publicised terrible behaviour. There are well known accounts of manic and obsessive behaviour when he was playing at Newcastle and Tottenham where he would train each day all day with all age groups and have to be forced to go home and accounts of international tournaments where he just wouldn’t sleep for days. Nobody intervened to help. His illness must have been compounded by the hero worship, ridicule or disdain he met wherever he went. There are no excuses for Gazza’s bad behaviour but there are reasons. 

Best in recent years was a winger for Middlesbrough when they’d just come down from the Prem. 

Cant remember what’s happened to him since, think he might’ve done abit of jail time..

I remember playing Southampton in 1984,It was our 2nd home game back in the 1st Division. We won 2v1 but it could quite easily have been 10v1 if Peter Shilton hadn't been in goal, World class performance.

48 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

If he was English it would’ve been fine.

I think that the English bit is the stumbling block.

I chose him because of that Everton game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better individual performance than that.

If only he was English:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Best in recent years was a winger for Middlesbrough when they’d just come down from the Prem. 

Cant remember what’s happened to him since, think he might’ve done abit of jail time..

He was fantastic that day, wasn’t he. 

Which makes what happened next all the more amazing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

He didn't,  we won 5-2 and he scored 2. Sibon scored a hat trick.

Crouch did look good though, and he was still only a teenager.  

I seem to remember him scoring a hatrick against us playing for portsmouth while on loan from spurs? 

Gazza for me..... Outstanding footballer and could have been mentioned in the same sentence as pele, Maradona, messi if he'd have been right in the head

7 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

I seem to remember him scoring a hatrick against us playing for portsmouth while on loan from spurs? 

I don't think so, think he scored 2 in a game against us for Portsmouth as well as QPR but never a treble.

Shame we were skint as I'd have loved us to sign him after that QPR game. Portsmouth got him fairly cheap and then got £5m for him.

Waddle (for us) - his single handed demolition of West Ham and David Burrows will never be beaten.

Gascoigne will be the greatest English player of my lifetime - absolute genious.

• Agree 2