New kit

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Because all teams do this now.  Any who didn't would lose out in the revenue raising arms race. Ideally kits should last a minimum of 3 years.

I guess you're right, but would we lose much by alternating home one year, away the next?

Firstly, with a two year lifetime we'd sell more of each kit. Not double, but more, especially the away kit.

Then we'd have a Christmas boost. How many shirts are sold as Christmas presents when the season is half over. If a shirt has 18 months to go, surely sales would increase vastly.

And then the design and set up costs would be halved. I doubt this would be trivial.

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

I guess you're right, but would we lose much by alternating home one year, away the next?

Firstly, with a two year lifetime we'd sell more of each kit. Not double, but more, especially the away kit.

Then we'd have a Christmas boost. How many shirts are sold as Christmas presents when the season is half over. If a shirt has 18 months to go, surely sales would increase vastly.

And then the design and set up costs would be halved. I doubt this would be trivial.

I suppose when all clubs started using template kits from the big players in the market, the costs are probably driven down and it became a more profitable option to brings kits out every year; that and football got more expensive and greedier. 

When did we start having a new kit each each? The Diadora years? 

I remember in the 80’s and 90’s that a kit lasted 2 seasons and general the kits were more individual for each club. 

Our kit is usually that late, it barely lasts 9 months 

Edited by Rogers

11 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I Honestly don't get why we wait for owls in the park. The new kits should have been worn on last home game of the season and be on sale all summer. We are limiting sales by doing this. Get the new kits on sale quickly and then at least they do last a whole year and summer.

1 minute ago, tarn owl said:

I Honestly don't get why we wait for owls in the park. The new kits should have been worn on last home game of the season and be on sale all summer. We are limiting sales by doing this. Get the new kits on sale quickly and then at least they do last a whole year and summer.

Record shirt sales over the last few years suggest that we are not limiting sales but creating a demand, however with the owls in the park being earlier this year maybe the kit will be released earlier 

10 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Record shirt / tickets sales are announced every year. I suspect they are either false or using a very specific criteria ( double xl on a Friday after 11pm)

DC has a garage full of them

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, OwlOnWheels said:

The orange one is a thing of beauty.

Very much like the Di Canio kit as I remember the previous orange one.  Probably my favourite away kit we've had.

I'd love to see us re-create the stylish Di Canio & Carbone era home kit and that orange away kit. Those kits especially the home one, were for me up there with our early 90s and early/mid 80s as some of our best ever in my opinion. Only thing that would have improved some of the 80s home kit beauties and the 93-95 home kit would have been black shorts. But we also had some iconic away kits too around the same time. I'd like us to do something retro with our kits, like the likes of West Ham and Middlesbrough but simplistic and stylish. A lot of striped shirts are ruined lately by trying to do them different, along with the plain backs.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

I suppose when all clubs started using template kits from the big players in the market, the costs are probably driven down and it became a more profitable option to brings kits out every year; that and football got more expensive and greedier. 

When did we start having a new kit each each? The Diadora years? 

I remember in the 80’s and 90’s that a kit lasted 2 seasons and general the kits were more individual for each club. 

We started having new kits every year with Puma. 

Guest The Horse

I actually really liked the 16-17 kit for something different.

Had a certain imperiousness about it.

But good old royal blue and white stripes both front and back is instantly recognizable as Sheffield Wednesday.

Stripes not too thick, not too thin.

The league 1 promotion season probably my favourite of late.

20190601_064927.jpg

Edited by The Horse

4 hours ago, The Horse said:

I actually really liked the 16-17 kit for something different.

Had a certain imperiousness about it.

But good old royal blue and white stripes both front and back is instantly recognizable as Sheffield Wednesday.

Stripes not too thick, not too thin.

The league 1 promotion season probably my favourite of late.

20190601_064927.jpg

I liked this kit too. I don’t know why but there’s something better about having a company sponsor on the shirt and not the owners’ name.  Providing it’s not chupa chups or Virgin 

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

I liked this kit too. I don’t know why but there’s something better about having a company sponsor on the shirt and not the owners’ name.  Providing it’s not chupa chups or Virgin 

I managed to get one of the first ones that didn't have a sponsor on garymegson stripes front and back though all day long . 

5 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

My old man was in the shop the other day & they told him the away kit will be released at Owls in the Park but no idea on the home kit. Sounds bizarre to release the away kit first if it’s true.

Might be that if the away kit is available then the kids will want it as they want something now and don't want to wait. Then when the home kit comes out they want that too. They might not be as bothered about the away kit if they already have the home one.

Or maybe he's just a bit mental when it comes to shirt releases.