New kit

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Just want to clarify things as everything you read on the internet isn't true.

You stated the club have only been late with the launch once, so was last seasons 'soft launch' intentional?

I would have thought if that was the case then more clubs would do it, unless of course we are groundbreaking and ahead of the game in that respect! :Chansiri:

Well a lot of clubs release a cheaper replica shirt and a more expensive one nowadays - I'm not sure if they release the more expensive one first mind!

Guest Willow Owl
13 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I simply want Wednesday to be the best at everything they do, both on and off the pitch. We should aspire to be the model that others luck up to and not simply getting by I.e ‘as long as the players have the kit, what’s the problem’

The kits being released late year before last or the piecemeal way they were last year isn’t the model people try to copy.

I understand we have bigger things to worry about but that doesn’t mean you don’t try and get the easy wins. I don’t understand why people think it’s the right way to conduct ourselves but I’m not losing any sleep over it.

The last 2 kits have produced record sales, so despite delivery issues with the first kit the club must be getting it right from a sales point of view.

Kids don't start summer holidays until end of July and are off all August and loads of clubs are yet to release their new kits. Even so I would expect an announcement either tomorrow or Thursday that the kit will be available for Owls in the park. 

24 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Well a lot of clubs release a cheaper replica shirt and a more expensive one nowadays - I'm not sure if they release the more expensive one first mind!

They'd be daft not to.

46 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Do we lose generations of kids to other clubs because of this? Given that we have historically rarely had  new kits out early in the summer we must’ve lost unbelievable numbers of kids to other clubs.

Why? Just because the shirts aren't on sale are you seriously saying you'll just buy your kids a kit from another team. Absolutely crackers.

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

Why? Just because the shirts aren't on sale are you seriously saying you'll just buy your kids a kit from another team. Absolutely crackers.

I think you've responded to the wrong post here mate.

4 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Have I?

The post you quoted was responding to this.

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

Exactly this. 

The ones who are too cool to worry about kits cos they’re not for grown men should consider this and the younger generation coming through or being lost to other clubs.

I think you and 'phil are agreeing.

8 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

For completeness I said;

I've been very critical of people moaning about the kits, but I don't have kids. I imagine it's quite a lovely little event every season for everyone to get kitted out. I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

Not saying it is the reason, far from it but if there is a risk it plays a part why take the chance.

why are we happy accepting anything but the absolute optimum performance.

it makes no sense. Just get the kits on sale earlier, it’s not rocket science.

Presumably, most people don’t think that any potential fans will be put off being fans because of this issue, so it’s a risk the club is prepared to take.

We all want optimum performance from everything the club does, but in reality we’ve been a second- and third-tier club for almost twenty years. We’re a difficult club to turn around. Getting kits on sale in June isn’t going to change that, otherwise it would’ve been done already.

I know that there are many who disagree with me on this point (that I’ve made several times before), but from my experience of fifteen years working in the sportswear industry (creative dept), our kits from the last two seasons have been the best quality in materials and construction since we were relegated from the Prem in 2000. Like everyone I’ve been disappointed with having to wait longer than most to get my hands on a shirt, but when it’s arrived I’ve been so impressed with it that the wait has been worthwhile. Nobody else outside the Prem (and likely several in the Prem), that I know of have replica kits of anywhere near the quality of ours. In my opinion, that’s pretty optimum.

5 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Presumably, most people don’t think that any potential fans will be put off being fans because of this issue, so it’s a risk the club is prepared to take.

We all want optimum performance from everything the club does, but in reality we’ve been a second- and third-tier club for almost twenty years. We’re a difficult club to turn around. Getting kits on sale in June isn’t going to change that, otherwise it would’ve been done already.

I know that there are many who disagree with me on this point (that I’ve made several times before), but from my experience of fifteen years working in the sportswear industry (creative dept), our kits from the last two seasons have been the best quality in materials and construction since we were relegated from the Prem in 2000. Like everyone I’ve been disappointed with having to wait longer than most to get my hands on a shirt, but when it’s arrived I’ve been so impressed with it that the wait has been worthwhile. Nobody else outside the Prem (and likely several in the Prem), that I know of have replica kits of anywhere near the quality of ours. In my opinion, that’s pretty optimum.

The club have done well with the kit quality, but surely having the quality isnt a trade off for not having the kit for the end of June?

3 minutes ago, Tudders said:

The club have done well with the kit quality, but surely having the quality isnt a trade off for not having the kit for the end of June?

I’d rather wait longer for a decent quality shirt than get a poor quality one sooner. I may just be speaking for myself here, but in my opinion the quality of a product far, far outweighs the importance of the release date, as long as it’s within reason (e.g. before Christmas).

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I’d rather wait longer for a decent quality shirt than get a poor quality one sooner. I may just be speaking for myself here, but in my opinion the quality of a product far, far outweighs the importance of the release date, as long as it’s within reason (e.g. before Christmas).

I agree the quality has improved but you would expect that the club should be able to combine Owls in the Park with a full release of all sizes. We are paying more than any club in the country and it is not as if our manufacturer doesn't have time to dedicate to working our kit.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree the quality has improved but you would expect that the club should be able to combine Owls in the Park with a full release of all sizes. We are paying more than any club in the country and it is not as if our manufacturer doesn't have time to dedicate to working our kit.

I didn’t know our shirts are the most expensive in the country.

Although our branding and design is bespoke, I would assume that the actual manufacturing facility would be making other products aside from our own. If we had our own dedicated factory that served only SWFC merchandise then I’d expect our prices to be far higher than they already are. Happy to be corrected on this though.

3 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Summer holidays start mid July mate, not beginning of May.

Well I remember the kit being launched earlier and it gave time for my mum to save up and buy it for summer holidays! And me time to bang on about it for a month and pester for it

29 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I didn’t know our shirts are the most expensive in the country.

Although our branding and design is bespoke, I would assume that the actual manufacturing facility would be making other products aside from our own. If we had our own dedicated factory that served only SWFC merchandise then I’d expect our prices to be far higher than they already are. Happy to be corrected on this though.

I stand corrected, it was only the most expensive shirt in the Championship. Newcastle now have the proud honour of being the priciest in the country though their 'premium shirt' does come in at £4 cheaper than ours was last season. A total of 4 teams are now more expensive than we are.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1143195/Newcastle-most-expensive-shirt-price-Premier-League-kits-2019-20

Of course, we could yet be surprised by a reduction in our recent pricing strategy of £59 for an adult shirt as we haven't announced anything yet, then again it might increase. 

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/263701/swindle-sheffield-wednesday-release-most-expensive-replica-shirt-in-championship-history-and-only-three-months-late.html

9 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Nobody else outside the Prem (and likely several in the Prem), that I know of have replica kits of anywhere near the quality of ours. In my opinion, that’s pretty optimum.

It’s always made me laugh that some of our fans automatically think our recent shirts are poor quality just because they’re not a “brand”. Then other fans jump on the bandwagon.

Nice to hear from someone who has more experience than most that this is not the case.