New kit

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I’m never complaining about the cost of a Wednesday shirt again. My local team in Japan, Kagoshima United’s shirts cost about 120 quid!!

13 hours ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

A replica kit is a tool for collecting revenue for the club in exchange for the sale of a product with a massive mark up.

Replica shirts are famously inexpensive to produce & the in house production (& sales, we’re not in Sugg or similar anymore...) should increase profits for the club.

As soon as the final whistle blows on the last game of the season the ‘current kit’ is immediately out of date.

Fans will want the new one, if it can be on sale from May it will have 3 months as a ‘new kit’ before the season even starts.

Then you have 9 month of it being the current kit.

It’s also a way of marketing the club by having branded merchandise being sported by fans at home & on holiday.

For those deriding fans who wish to see an early release date as juvenile just remember that the club is missing out on revenue by not timing/exploiting sales for the summer market.

Not sure anyone who will buy a kit will be out off by not getting it until July/August. We'll still sell.just as many.

We have however been able.to clear out the old kit at a reduced price for the last 6 weeks which wouldn't have been as easy with the new kit already out and filling the shop.

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why are you so concerned about continuing to post in this thread then?

Yeah, very smart of the club to only have the £99 shirt available at the big launch last season. I am sure many people made the purchase and there was no negative feedback or publicity from this whatsoever.

A lot of people seem to have polar-views on here in terms of the owner can't do anything right or the owner can do no wrong. I have been fairly positive on here when plenty have been wetting the bed of late but to say our approach to selling replica kits in the past few years has been 'smart' is stretching things a bit. 

Selling £99 shirts on the first day bordered on exploitation but commercially I'm not sure it was a bad move- there seemed to be plenty rich/daft enough to pay it.

Think the home kit might look something like a combination between one of the iconic 90s home kits, possibly the Di Canio era home kit and the 2011-12 home shirt. By that I mean it might combine thin stripe trim within or among our traditional stripes. Maybe blue trim or possibly black to match the shorts, collar, socks, etc. If that makes any sense? My guess is there will be some kind of change or modernisation incorporated into the shirt, merely basing that guess on a lot of other teams that traditionally have stripes. That Di Canio era kit is among my favourite Wednesday home kits, along with a few others from the 90s and 80s.

sheffield_wednesday_1997-1999.gifsheffield_wednesday_2011-2012.gif

Either something like that, traditional stripes with a subtle modernisation or purely a guess, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a variation based upon that odd mid 90s home kit we had for a while? Sort of like that but slightly different or changed up a bit like that one? Didn't like it at all at the time and time it's not a Wednesday home shirt but that shirt does look better than it appears, when closer up to be honest.

sheffield_wednesday_1995-1997.gif

Those would be my guesses but watch me be completely wrong, when we do eventually get our home kit. :Sid:

Away, I haven't a clue. But personally I would like to see something based upon the Escape to Victory shirt or a retro Inter or Sampdoria or Roma type away shirt? They could be different colours but based on those designs, it's the simple but iconic designs I like about those types of retro shirts. :wub:

7000.jpg4340.jpg

Edited by The Night-Owl

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm like a fat kid in a sweet shop

I can't wait for the kit to be launched

I hope its blue and white stripes front and back

But something tells me it will be more Chelsea than Wednesday

How many x's will your shirt size be then? lol

41 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Think the home kit might look something like a combination between one of the iconic 90s home kits, possibly the Di Canio era home kit and the 2011-12 home shirt. By that I mean it might combine thin stripe trim within or among our traditional stripes. Maybe blue trim or possibly black to match the shorts, collar, socks, etc. If that makes any sense? My guess is there will be some kind of change or modernisation incorporated into the shirt, merely basing that guess on a lot of other teams that traditionally have stripes. That Di Canio era kit is among my favourite Wednesday home kits, along with a few others from the 90s and 80s.

sheffield_wednesday_1997-1999.gifsheffield_wednesday_2011-2012.gif

Either something like that, traditional stripes with a subtle modernisation or purely a guess, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a variation based upon that odd mid 90s home kit we had for a while? Sort of like that but slightly different or changed up a bit like that one? Didn't like it at all at the time and time it's not a Wednesday home shirt but that shirt does look better than it appears, when closer up to be honest.

sheffield_wednesday_1995-1997.gif

Those would be my guesses but watch me be completely wrong, when we do eventually get our home kit. :Sid:

Away, I haven't a clue. But personally I would like to see something based upon the Escape to Victory shirt or a retro Inter or Sampdoria or Roma type away shirt? They could be different colours but based on those designs, it's the simple but iconic designs I like about those types of retro shirts. :wub:

7000.jpg4340.jpg

No Red!!!!

Like the other one but they aren't wednesday colours

2 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

No Red!!!!

Like the other one but they aren't wednesday colours

Yep, I know. I said, I like those types of retro designs a lot but we could have any variations of colours instead. I'd like an away kit like one of those but in different colours, although the Inter or Sampdoria style one could work?

Edited by The Night-Owl

7 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

the fact that the season ended nearly 2months ago and the kit is on 'offer' at £32 is embarrassing

£15 maximum and get rid of the lot

still making a profit and get fans in the shop ,buying other stock

Dc and the retail team really need a kick up the ar5e cus its pathetic

Why is it embarrassing?

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm like a fat kid in a sweet shop

I can't wait for the kit to be launched

I hope its blue and white stripes front and back

But something tells me it will be more Chelsea than Wednesday

That's my feeling too. A lot of other teams with stripes over here and abroad seem to be changing up their striped shirts in some sort of way and even ditching them. Like I put in my other post, I think we might keep the stripes but the shirt will probably be changed up or modernised in some way. If not, it could be another stripe less shirt but not sure DC would want another sort of backlash again and it would seem better all round to keep them or to just change them up or modernise them in some way. Personally I'd prefer a more retro looking traditional striped shirt with black shorts or like the Di Canio kit I posted but my feeling is that we'll see some kind of change.

2 hours ago, Retired Owls Fan said:

Why is it embarrassing?

Because our adult fans desperately need to wear brand new full kits on the beach in Magaluf this summer and it's embarrassing that the club won't cater for that.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Not sure anyone who will buy a kit will be out off by not getting it until July/August. We'll still sell.just as many.

We have however been able.to clear out the old kit at a reduced price for the last 6 weeks which wouldn't have been as easy with the new kit already out and filling the shop.

I don't agree with this. Fully believe if it was on sale from last day of season, we would sell a fair bit more.

As for clearing out last season's stuff, it will still go with the right discount or otherwise, the margin in it is so big, we could just send it all to Africa and it would cost the club virtually nowt.

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Because our adult fans desperately need to wear brand new full kits on the beach in Magaluf this summer and it's embarrassing that the club won't cater for that.

Bit narrow minded. I'm not sure it's embarrassing not having it out in June but was embarrassing not having out til season was a few weeks old last year...embarrassing because if every other club in the league can manage it, it just makes us look incompetent.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Always makes me laugh to see grown men get themselves worked up about a piece of clothing.

Waste of time the missus getting dolled up for you then. lol

55 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Always makes me laugh to see grown men get themselves worked up about a piece of clothing.

52 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Very juvenile.

Always makes me laugh when people keep posting in threads about subjects they aren't bothered about...... :ghoulguy: