Dez Hazel

Our fearless leader put a picture up of Siggi Jonsson up today.

I confess, I never saw him play as I was but a kid (although, obviously I recognised him straight away as any kid mad on football at that age would)

So I thought i'd start asking about some random players I remember - so what are people's thoughts on a player I never saw play for Wednesday.......Dez Hazel.

(I ask for a specific reason, I was talking about this guy to someone at work who knows him from being a kid!)

I could have asked about any of these:-   Lee Chapman, Brian Marwood, Mel Sterland, Ian Knight (I have his signature, my mother worked at the Hallamshire when he was recuperating....he obviously didn't play again afterwards)  Obviously I know Irish because he lasted forever before we sold him to Leeds.....Imre Varadi,  Mark Chamberlain, Glyn Snodin, Gary Shelton,  Carl Shutt  (these are the main ones I remember but also Gary Megson too who my dad used to tell me was always over weight!!

6 minutes ago, Shot down in flames. said:

I heard a podcast about a player called Robin Friday, think he played in the 60s apparently as gifted as Best but couldn’t be bothered and only played a couple of seasons as a pro, did he ever play against the owls 

I read the book about him. Decent read.

It's called, The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story.

• Like 2

Only thing I remember about Dez was when he came on against Newcastle in a Christmas game, did a mazy run going past about half a dozen players. 

Think he started next game away at Everton but did nothing and was never seen again then joined toy town. 

Played 238 times for them. :ohmy:

Edited by bradowl

1 hour ago, Shot down in flames. said:

I heard a podcast about a player called Robin Friday, think he played in the 60s apparently as gifted as Best but couldn’t be bothered and only played a couple of seasons as a pro, did he ever play against the owls 

On the front cover of single The Man Don’t Give a F*** by the Super Furry Animowls. 

8 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Our fearless leader put a picture up of Siggi Jonsson up today.

I confess, I never saw him play as I was but a kid (although, obviously I recognised him straight away as any kid mad on football at that age would)

So I thought i'd start asking about some random players I remember - so what are people's thoughts on a player I never saw play for Wednesday.......Dez Hazel.

(I ask for a specific reason, I was talking about this guy to someone at work who knows him from being a kid!)

I could have asked about any of these:-   Lee Chapman, Brian Marwood, Mel Sterland, Ian Knight (I have his signature, my mother worked at the Hallamshire when he was recuperating....he obviously didn't play again afterwards)  Obviously I know Irish because he lasted forever before we sold him to Leeds.....Imre Varadi,  Mark Chamberlain, Glyn Snodin, Gary Shelton,  Carl Shutt  (these are the main ones I remember but also Gary Megson too who my dad used to tell me was always over weight!!

Ian Knight did play again but not too much. He played a couple of times for us after 2 years out,went on loan to Scunthorpe and then signed for Grimsby. Broke his leg again and retired when about 26.

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

My main memory of Des Hazel is of him playing at Wembley for us in that Mercantile Credit Football League Centenary tournament that we were runners up. Still got the VHS of it in the loft.

Is that on our honors board?  It should be, the Pigs would have "headlined" it!!

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

It was a time when I used to watch our U18s regularly, a side that often contained Beresford, Jacobs, Brown, Kenney, Jonsson, Mossman, Hazel, Hirst and the Bradshaw brothers. Back then it was the Northern Intermediate, so it may have been U19s

10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

SWFC.thumb.jpg.c8215d821a7e0467b5c930e5e9e8d626.jpg

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Seem to remember seeing him a black and white photo wearing a Finlux sponsored Wednesday shirt, but not seen it for years.  Might have dreamt it.

That one :biggrin: ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It was a time when I used to watch our U18s regularly, a side that often contained Beresford, Jacobs, Brown, Kenney, Jonsson, Mossman, Hazel, Hirst and the Bradshaw brothers. Back then it was the Northern Intermediate, so it may have been U19s

Did Hirsty play much Northern Intermediate football for us? We signed him for about 200k didn’t we and threw him straight in to the first team. 

5 minutes ago, Albertowl said:

Did Hirsty play much Northern Intermediate football for us? We signed him for about 200k didn’t we and threw him straight in to the first team. 

I don’t know about much, but I certainly saw him a few times. Think both him and Siggi were given the occasional games in the Intermediate side