14 May 1966

Amazing to think it was so long ago.  I was 14 that June and my parents allowed me to go with my mates with High Green supporters club. Went to Semi Final at Villa Park as well. 

Can’t imagine allowing kids that age to go to London these days.  Great team that needed a little investment to take us on but ........  Typical Wednesday I suppose.  

When we went 2-0 up, the bloke next to me asked his mate what time the victory parade was next day.   They pulled one back just as his mate was replying.

Somehow I just knew we weren't going to do it.  It's the Wednesday way, as they say.

Just one of a load of memories from that day.

I went to all the cup games that season except Newcastle away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

It was just before my 7th birthday and was the first time Wednesday made me cry (they've managed it plenty of times since)!

I was 9 (nearly 10) and remember snivelling into me hankie. That Cornish bloke with three wee wee tails never did a thing after that game...total freak. That team wasn’t too good in the league games, just seemed to perform in the cup for some reason. The only investment it got was John Ritchie from Stoke and Fords car crash didn’t help matters...a gradual slide down hill after that to the awful 1969/70 season. Taylor thought Tommy Craig was the answer, but good as he was he couldn’t carry a team....and the rest as they say....was a total sky dive down the divisions. It’s the Wednesday way!

21 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

I was born almost exactly 9 months after....

Celebration or consolation - no ones owned up yet.

lol

Well it wasn't me, I was only 8, oh, actually, thinking about it is your Mom's name Jane who used to live at number 58.

• Haha 1