Steve Bruce's previous signings (One for people who love STATS)

I've seen alot of posts on here talking about Bruce's previous signings, good and bad. 

I've seen loads of posts praising how well he did with Robertson, and then a few posts saying he wastes money on unknown foreign players.

I've done some digging and found some of his BEST signings and some of his WORST signings. Lets take a look:

The Good

Name: Asamoah Gyan
Fee: £14.4 million
Bruce signed Gyan for Sunderland from Stade Rennais in 2010. Gyan went on to score 11 goals in 33 games in the Premier League for Sunderland.

Name: Darren Bent

Fee: £10.62 million
Bruce signed Bent for Sunderland from Spurs in 2009. Bent went on to score 32 goals in 58 games for Sunderland.

Name: Stephane Sessegnon
Fee: £6.3 million 
Signed from Paris SG in 2011, SS went on to play 87 in the Premier League for Sunderland, chipping in with 17 goals from the wing. 

Name: Cameron Jerome
Fee: £4 million
Bruce spent 4 million on Jerome back in 2006 after impressing for Cardiff. Jerome went on to score over 40 goals for Birmingham.

Name: Simon Mignolet
Fee: 2.25 million
Bought from Sint-Truiden in 2010, Mignolet played over 100 games for Sunderland before securing his big money move to Liverpool. 

Name: John McGinn
Fee: 2.79 million 
A shrewd signing last summer from Hibs, McGinn has been the heartbeat of Villa's midfield this season. You'll probably remember him scoring a couple of tap ins against us.

Name: Andy Robertson
Fee: £3.24 million
The most talked about player Bruce has signed, he's gone on to become the best left back in the world on current form.

The Not So Good

Name: Garry O'Connor
Fee: Signed for 3.6 million back in 2007 for Birmingham, O'Connor only managed 12 goals in 61 games for them. He went on to fail a drugs test in 2009 before being shipped off.

Name: Luciano Figueroa
Fee: £3.38 million
Signed from CA Rosario, Figueroa only played 1 game for Birmingham after some controversy over his transfer. Spanish club Osasuna claimed that Figueroa had signed a contract with them before his move to Birmingham, thereby invalidating the transfer. At the end of August 2003 FIFA ruled provisionally in Birmingham's favour, but it was not until October that this ruling was finally confirmed. 
His contract was terminated a year later.

Name: Dong-won Ji
Fee: 2.16 million
Signed in 2011 (For Sunderland), the striker went on to play 24 times in 2 years scoring just 2 goals. 

Name: Adama Diomade
Fee: £2.12 million
A big signing for Hill in 2015, the striker went on to play 64 times for Hull, but only finding the back of the net 8 times.

Name: Marcos Angeleri
Fee: £1.62 million
A strange signing for Sunderland, the unknown defender only played twice for Sunderland in 2 years after becoming unsettled in England.

This probably doesn't help us in the slightest, but it's nice to read stats and facts during the boring end of season. Make of them what you will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I always think Bruce is in the same group as the Big Sam & Redknapp where they are able to sign and attract good players. But it’s their tactics or style of play that are questioned. Villa fans were mostly complaining about Villa’s direct style (and defeats) rather than the players Bruce signed. 

Im confident our team sheet will be better come August than it has been for a couple of seasons at least, even if it’s free transfers or loans 

Edited by Southie_Owl

49 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I always think Bruce is in the same group as the Big Sam & Redknapp where they are able to sign and attract good players. But it’s their tactics or style of play that are questioned. Villa fans were mostly complaining about Villa’s direct style (and defeats) rather than the players Bruce signed. 

Im confident our team sheet will be better come August than it has been for a couple of seasons at least, even if it’s free transfers or loans 

This would perhaps be the one concern of mine, knocking the ball up to Fletcher isn’t my idea of attacking football. Hopefully, having fixed the defence, he can now address the attacking part of our game. A slight worry though, with the defence sorted, we appear to be now tinkering with it again, when there are more obvious areas that need addressing