Supporting teams other then Wednesday!

Possibly the wrong (or loaded) question from the OP.  I have and will always support Wednesday, my only team. However, I watch a lot of football cos I love it and I take sides/favour some teams over others cos it makes it more interesting.  This is not  random thing, as I am 60 odd now and growing up forged a few links.

Man U over City - grew up watching Best, Charlton and Law, and remember the European Cup win over Benfica, 68 was it?.  City got us relegated from the first division, even though they tried their best not to!

Liverpool over Everton - grew up watching Liverpool in the 70's European games when there was not a lot of footy on telly, had a reyt team and great players (not over fond of fans though) Everton beat us in 66, that's enough for me

Tottenham over Arsenal.  Loved watching Ardillies, Villa, Waddle and Hoddle among others.  Don't really need to comment on Arsenal do I?

Don't like Chelsea in any way shape or form, so Arsenal and Tottenham to beat them.

Real Madrid over Barca - not sure why, another 60's 70's European thingy maybe?

Stranrear - Used to go on Holiday there.

Think that's it, all other teams it depends on how I feel on the day or what's at stake, usually go for the underdog.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Agree with this, there is a whole world of difference between supporting a team and wanting another to do well. I've had a soft spot for Liverpool ever since 1971, but I've only ever seen them play v Wednesday who are (football wise) the love of my life.

Even out here, when I go to watch Real Salt Lake (local team) I'll cheer them on but I don't have any emotional attachment to them like I do Wednesday. Wednesday can make me happy, sad, angry, downright depressed and literally move me to tears (both joy and sadness). No other club team could ever have that effect on me......................in any sport.

WAWAW.

Whitecaps ST Holder - I am pretty emotionally attached TBH.
As far as RSL - love Rimando - probably one of the best goalies I have watched in MLS...  Hopefully he plays the last game of season at BC Place... deserves a good round of applause as he retires...
WAWAW

I only support Wednesday, haven't got a "second team" sounds a bit daft to me but each to their own. However I have several teams I actively dislike, afew I have a soft spot for mainly due to friends supporting them.  Almost any game I can find a reason to want one of them to win. Derby-Leeds is a problem, I really dislike both and hate saying it but I want Leeds to win and then lose to WBA.  I was happy to see Mansfield lose to Newport, their behaviour in the friendly was a disgrace and I hope we never play them again. This despite watching them a lot in the sixties including their greatest ever game, 3-0 v West Ham.. I followed Matlock all the way to Wembley when Peter Swan was there. Anyway, I think most older fans follow football full stop, but modern fans just seem bothered about the PL.

17 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Possibly the wrong (or loaded) question from the OP.  I have and will always support Wednesday, my only team. However, I watch a lot of football cos I love it and I take sides/favour some teams over others cos it makes it more interesting.  This is not  random thing, as I am 60 odd now and growing up forged a few links.

Man U over City - grew up watching Best, Charlton and Law, and remember the European Cup win over Benfica, 68 was it?.  City got us relegated from the first division, even though they tried their best not to!

Liverpool over Everton - grew up watching Liverpool in the 70's European games when there was not a lot of footy on telly, had a reyt team and great players (not over fond of fans though) Everton beat us in 66, that's enough for me

Tottenham over Arsenal.  Loved watching Ardillies, Villa, Waddle and Hoddle among others.  Don't really need to comment on Arsenal do I?

Don't like Chelsea in any way shape or form, so Arsenal and Tottenham to beat them.

Real Madrid over Barca - not sure why, another 60's 70's European thingy maybe?

Stranrear - Used to go on Holiday there.

Think that's it, all other teams it depends on how I feel on the day or what's at stake, usually go for the underdog.

This is what I was trying to say !  I follow Stranraer as we went to a game when we had a Laurel and Hardy convention there.  Also follow Berwick Rangers as until this week they were the only English club in the Scottish league:sad:

21 hours ago, prowl said:

What a load of c0ck. Of course you can support other teams.

I support Kidderminster Harriers but only because they are never likely to be competitors of my first love. I can see why it would be difficult to support a club in competition with Wednesday.

21 hours ago, prowl said:

What a load of c0ck. Of course you can support other teams.

I support Kidderminster Harriers but only because they are never likely to be competitors of my first love. I can see why it would be difficult to support a club in competition with Wednesday.

Good lad...

If you 'support' more than one team you don't actually support either. 

I'm a Wednesday supporter and that's it. 

I look out for how Sunderland are doing cos I went to uni there and I was born in cleethorpes so I always have a look how Grimsby are doing. That's it. 

No other team are like the team you supported when you were a boy. For me that was Wednesday, always has been, always will be. I'll be supporting Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs for two games each next season though...

I tried to show an interest in the very best the Premier League had to offer yesterday. I watched Liverpool in the first half and Man City in the second half. My observation were:

Liverpool physically dissolved on the pitch when they realised Brighton had scored. As we all know that did not last long. 

From our perspective, Wolves appeared to be a lot more competitive than Brighton at Premier League Level, and I could not face watching Wednesday finishing 17th playing the type of football Brighton played in the second half against City.

The shear size of the squad at Man City is unimaginable, and as they lifted the trophy, once again, it seemed to me the celebrations were forced, as they expect nothing less

WAWAW

:Sid:

25 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

No other team are like the team you supported when you were a boy. For me that was Wednesday, always has been, always will be. I'll be supporting Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs for two games each next season though...

I tried to show an interest in the very best the Premier League had to offer yesterday. I watched Liverpool in the first half and Man City in the second half. My observation were:

Liverpool physically dissolved on the pitch when they realised Brighton had scored. As we all know that did not last long. 

From our perspective, Wolves appeared to be a lot more competitive than Brighton at Premier League Level, and I could not face watching Wednesday finishing 17th playing the type of football Brighton played in the second half against City.

The shear size of the squad at Man City is unimaginable, and as they lifted the trophy, once again, it seemed to me the celebrations were forced, as they expect nothing less

WAWAW

:Sid:

The rich get richer and all that...     100 seasons from now City will be just a regular old League 1 club (once the demand for Saudi oil drops off a cliff)...  Meanwhile everyone loves Tuna and a nice glass of Elev8 ....  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

The rich get richer and all that...     100 seasons from now City will be just a regular old League 1 club (once the demand for Saudi oil drops off a cliff)...  Meanwhile everyone loves Tuna and a nice glass of Elev8 ....  LOL

Elev8 tastes better when driving around in DTaxis. 

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

Really Just Wednesday and England for me.

I have always liked Rangers in Scotland especially when they play the other Glasgow lot, and the 3 friendlies I have seen us play against them only makes me fonder of them.

Watched Perth Glory a few times while in Oz, that was fun stood up in their "shed"  bit like going back to the 80s  (plenty of beer supped on the terraces, good chants and birds getting their t1ts out) but without any aggro from away fans as there simply wasn't any.

Due to an Uncle who lived there for a while I also like to see Wycombe do well and their fans behaviour on THAT day enhanced it.

Other than the above mentioned Perth matches, which were just a bit of fun really I've only ever watched Wednesday and England and they are the only times I really feel the passion. (May do if I ever get to an Old Firm Derby).

Edited by OWL1969

6 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

I love Wednesday only but like to see United do well too.

It would be great if both clubs were in the Premier League so here's hoping we go up and they stay up next season.

Go and sit down and think about what you have said.

Don't leave your room until you realise your mistake and are ready to make a public apology.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Haha 2

Whilst working in Scotland during the week, I used to go Scottish League games but didn't really follow any particular team.

On a memorable visit to Falkirk (at a time when Simon Stainrod was God up there), I actually got thrown IN to the stadium after asking which end I should stand.

Not wanting to cause trouble, I ended up in a conference with the turnstile operator, his supervisor, the car park steward, two police officers and their duty sergeant and the seven of us eventually decided that I should go in with the home fans instead of standing with the solitary Ayr United fan at the other end.

Apparently, the concept of a neutral attending a football match in Scotland is a difficult one to grasp for the hosts.

• Haha 2

Supported Wednesday all my life....but as a football fan, I don't think anyone can deny how fascinating it is to watch Manchester City. Pep Guardiola is the best manager in world football, City play with a system, Liverpool play 200mph rushed football.

Fell into the trap that much, I think Manchester City's brand of football is unmissable. I'll watch them whenever they're on telly. They're creating something special and I want to witness it, nothing wrong with that.