22 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Over 30

On a big wage

Only managed a third of the games last season.

Sounds perfect for us! :ghoulguy:

Well we have to have someone to replace Abdi on the treatment table!

Only 2 of our current match day squad are under 25, Iorfa and Dawson, so it’s understandable that the brief is to sign younger players. Worryingly, the 5 players we have been strongly linked with, are all 25 or over Personally, if someone the quality of Mikel were available, I think it’s worth taking a chance. Ditto Hector, but signing another five players in that age bracket would be madness

Not seen him play for a few seasons so dunno if he's still got it in the locker ...

If he has, and can add to the squad and Bruce thinks its a good idea, i'd take him .. dunno why people are knocking him.

Not every player we have needs to be 22 years old

22 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Not seen him play for a few seasons so dunno if he's still got it in the locker ...

If he has, and can add to the squad and Bruce thinks its a good idea, i'd take him .. dunno why people are knocking him.

Not every player we have needs to be 22 years old

Only two of our squad are anywhere near that, so yes, practically every player does need to be 22 years old It seems Bruce might be going down the same path as Carlos, and putting experience first

Guest wilyfox
19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Only two of our squad are anywhere near that, so yes, practically every player does need to be 22 years old It seems Bruce might be going down the same path as Carlos, and putting experience first

I don't think so. Bruce won't ignore the lack of pace and presence like Carlos did. Bruce has already spoken about loaning from prem clubs when they finalise their squads. That's when the type you're waiting for will come in. Until then focus will be on other positions. 

I think this rumour is nonsense but Bruce has always liked a big , strong , experienced holding midfield player in the base of a 3 man midfield. 

Mikel would fit the bill but is obviously outside our financial range. We can’t afford to give FF another pay rise.

Personally I think the game has moved on slightly and players playing this position tend to be a bit more mobile but he would fit a Bruce team 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I don't think so. Bruce won't ignore the lack of pace and presence like Carlos did. Bruce has already spoken about loaning from prem clubs when they finalise their squads. That's when the type you're waiting for will come in. Until then focus will be on other positions. 

I’m sure that type may well arrive late, but if these rumours are to be believed, he’ll need to sign a dozen of them to significantly reduce the average age. 

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure that type may well arrive late, but if these rumours are to be believed, he’ll need to sign a dozen of them to significantly reduce the average age. 

Slight exaggeration there lol

we've just let 6 over-30s go. That brings the average down already. Sign a few in their mid-20s and a couple of kids from the prem and that'll do the trick. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Only 2 of our current match day squad are under 25, Iorfa and Dawson, so it’s understandable that the brief is to sign younger players. Worryingly, the 5 players we have been strongly linked with, are all 25 or over Personally, if someone the quality of Mikel were available, I think it’s worth taking a chance. Ditto Hector, but signing another five players in that age bracket would be madness

Age is irrelevant, as long as they're fit and have the quality that's all that matters. If we sign lots of unproven youngsters they might not get us up. The squad would have to be drastically changed on promotion anyway so it's all about getting there. We need some pace and physicality adding to the team, and that might be more likely from younger players but there are older ones with pace. 30 isn't old for an athlete... 

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Age is irrelevant, as long as they're fit and have the quality that's all that matters. If we sign lots of unproven youngsters they might not get us up. The squad would have to be drastically changed on promotion anyway so it's all about getting there. We need some pace and physicality adding to the team, and that might be more likely from younger players but there are older ones with pace. 30 isn't old for an athlete... 

Sure, but then DC and Bruce should stop warbling on about the age profile of players we are looking to recruit

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, but then DC and Bruce should stop warbling on about the age profile of players we are looking to recruit

Don't think there's anything wrong with talking about it, and it's a reasonable objective to have.. but still think they will filter targets by cost and quality before age. Younger players tend to be more expensive too.. let's see what happens

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Not every player that Bruce brings to the club has to be?

The argument is, if he brings in say, 3 players under 25, Borner who's 28 and a 31 year old Mikel or Diame, good business for me! But sure, we need more young guns

4 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Not every player that Bruce brings to the club has to be?

The argument is, if he brings in say, 3 players under 25, Borner who's 28 and a 31 year old Mikel or Diame, good business for me! But sure, we need more young guns

We do need more young guns mate... Bruce will be watching the way the wind's blowing in this division....hard press all over the park.

For 46 games of 96 minutes of that you need a high percentage of players entering their physical peak imo.

if mikel signed for us it would be mikel + 1 or 2 depending on formation, the team would get built around him and rightly so. Him holding and Lee and Bannan in front would be interesting. Unfortunately he'll be on 50k + a week? Shame, he's a rolls Royce of a centre mid

Some of the comments in this thread just go to show how little some people know about football. 

Yes it’s your opinion, but opinions can be wrong or plain stupid.

The lad is a class above and if you couldn’t see his quality at Chelsea when watching him then maybe give Dave Jones a call and go watch netball with him.

As for his age, that doesn’t matter. As long as we don’t litter the squad with over 30’s it’s. It’s great to have a few and you can’t beat this lads experience and CV.

• Thanks 1