Just now, The Captain said:

Mikel is exactly the type of player we want to avoid this summer; ex-Premier League journeyman winding down his career and still living off of his reputation from years ago.

This would be a shocker.

What a ridiculous statement.

it could be a master stroke. It could not.

But he definitely wasn’t a “journey man” was he?  250 appearances for a fantastic Chelsea team.

How do you know he wouldn’t do as well as Viv Anderson or Steve Nicol did for us (when considerably older than 31)?  We signed Danny Wilson and Chris Waddle at 31 too.

Glenn Murray was older for Brighton when they signed him. Bruno was 31.

The likes of McGrath, Speed and McCall were all great signings for the Pigs.

Look at how good Terry was for Villa.

I could reel off 100 signings over 30 that have been great for clubs.

12 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

What a ridiculous statement.

it could be a master stroke. It could not.

But he definitely wasn’t a “journey man” was he?  250 appearances for a fantastic Chelsea team.

How do you know he wouldn’t do as well as Viv Anderson or Steve Nicol did for us (when considerably older than 31)?  We signed Danny Wilson and Chris Waddle at 31 too.

Glenn Murray was older for Brighton when they signed him. Bruno was 31.

The likes of McGrath, Speed and McCall were all great signings for the Pigs.

Look at how good Terry was for Villa.

I could reel off 100 signings over 30 that have been great for clubs.

Mikel’s transfer to that Chinese club a couple of years back, while Mikel was still in his twenties puts him in the ‘journeyman’ category for me.  I’m aware that he isn’t really a journeyman in the transitional sense of having lots of different clubs (and I’ve not accused him of that).  In my opinion, this player is likely to only be bothered about where his next big contract is coming from.

And yeah, you’re right there’s always an unpredictable element with transfers.  Some signings are successful, despite fans being underwhelmed initially, and vice versa.  But my gut instinct is that I’d be concerned if we signed this guy.  After all, if he’s that good, how come he’s found himself out of contract?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Over 30

On a big wage

Only managed a third of the games last season.

Sounds perfect for us! :ghoulguy:

I think the press have written an algorithm that auto links us to players that tick these boxes.... lol

• Haha 1

Hilarious that people are saying Mikel isn't good enough for us. He is a completely different level to anyone else in our squad. Anyone who has watched him play for Boro this season will have seen he is still way too good for championship football.

We have absolutely zero chance of singing him anyway as he will be off to play for a premier league team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Hilarious that people are saying Mikel isn't good enough for us. He is a completely different level to anyone else in our squad. Anyone who has watched him play for Boro this season will have seen he is still way too good for championship football.

We have absolutely zero chance of singing him anyway as he will be off to play for a premier league team. 

It was like the fools saying they wouldn't take Gary Cahill hahaha. Like he'd even give us the time of day.

Our fans have got a thing about foreign managers and foreign players all being cack, because we've made bad choices and chose the cack ones, just how there's cack English players and managers too. Now they are going to get a thing in their heads that we can't sign anyone who's over the age of 28 and had more than 4 clubs or he's a washed up slag journeyman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair point, should have done my research. Played in China before he joined Boro, bet he was on a proper packet.

Sure Gibson would be impressed if we signed him, would be like a dog on heat trying to get hold of our accounts again.

Worth doing it just for a laugh then!

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

It was like the fools saying they wouldn't take Gary Cahill hahaha. Like he'd even give us the time of day.

Our fans have got a thing about foreign managers and foreign players all being cack, because we've made bad choices and chose the cack ones, just how there's cack English players and managers too. Now they are going to get a thing in their heads that we can't sign anyone who's over the age of 28 and had more than 4 clubs or he's a washed up slag journeyman.

That's not my argument against. Personally, I think Mikel is an excellent player. Honours galore with Chelsea. I just think it's really important to bring the age of our team down. We have vast experience even without the six having been released. Westwood, Lees, Palmer, Lee, Bannan, Hutchinson, Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu, and Forestieri if he stays. That's plenty of experienced senior figures. If we do add to that, I'd hope it be a leader at centre-half to partner Tom. Elsewhere...the younger fresh legs Bruce keeps talking about. 

6 hours ago, wilyfox said:

That's not my argument against. Personally, I think Mikel is an excellent player. Honours galore with Chelsea. I just think it's really important to bring the age of our team down. We have vast experience even without the six having been released. Westwood, Lees, Palmer, Lee, Bannan, Hutchinson, Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu, and Forestieri if he stays. That's plenty of experienced senior figures. If we do add to that, I'd hope it be a leader at centre-half to partner Tom. Elsewhere...the younger fresh legs Bruce keeps talking about. 

That was partly my reasoning, although I wouldn’t be totally against this particular signing. None of the five players we’ve been linked with so far, has been under 25 

As you say, we already have plenty of experience, and what’s needed are young hungry players to give the side legs. On paper, it’s possible to make a case for all those players linked (don’t some people do that with every signing we are linked with) In defence of the manager, none of those players have actually signed yet. 

I think there is room for a couple of extra experienced players, at centre back, and a midfield organiser, Hector and Mikel. All other areas, I’d look to cover with young legs, quick hungry players, bring in from the Premier Leagues big boys

11 hours ago, The Captain said:

Mikel is exactly the type of player we want to avoid this summer; ex-Premier League journeyman winding down his career and still living off of his reputation from years ago.

This would be a shocker.

Dont think you would hear many complaints if Bruce signed Gary Cahill.