7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He played consistently under a number of top managers at Chelsea, winning everything he possibly could a long the way.

I trust their judgement of a player a lot more than Belfast Owl 2 from Owlstalk, sorry. 

So you can't answer it.

Not getting the approval of Sally Cinnamon is heartbreaking. 

10 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Ah the lazy argument that the amount of trophies makes a better player.

I genuinely dont know what football ability he ever showed.

Care to enlighten me?

Agree to an extent when comparing some squad players for very successful teams. However you can't seriously suggest Mikel wasnt at a level way beyond anyone we've had since our glory years. 

Just now, deano said:

Agree to an extent when comparing some squad players for very successful teams. However you can't seriously suggest Mikel wasnt at a level way beyond anyone we've had since our glory years. 

I was focusing on his time at Chelsea when I always found him poor. Could never pick a pass, weak in the tackle and always slowed it down. If Hutchinson stayed fit he possibly could have challenged Mikel. But Mikel is obvisouly better than Pelupessey, O'Connor etc

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I was focusing on his time at Chelsea when I always found him poor. Could never pick a pass, weak in the tackle and always slowed it down. If Hutchinson stayed fit he possibly could have challenged Mikel. But Mikel is obvisouly better than Pelupessey, O'Connor etc

I mean for anyone to have circa 250 prem games under their belt with 10 or so major honours against their name I’m struggling to see how that gets him in the company of JOC / Joey or Hutch. 

Im not sure how good he is now? Although finished season as captain of boro. But back in the day this guy was a regular in a title winning team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Remember reading an interview with Frank Lampard after they won the Champions League and he called Mikel the heartbeat of their side. 

Thought he always looked solid. Kept the ball, did the simple stuff, intercepted play, great positional sense. I would dig deeper into the stats if I could be bothered, pretty sure he had the highest pass completion rate for a couple of seasons in the Premier League.

If he was poor at Chelsea, very surprised he kept Michael Essien out the side the year they won the Champions League.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8130025/John-Obi-Mikel-reborn-as-Chelseas-undisputed-pass-master.html

"could never pick a pass"

lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He could never pick any sort of insightful pass over a few yards. Essien was a completely different sort of midfielder whos legs had gone by then. As for Lampard.. you will hear good midfield players praise their limited team mates. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

He could never pick any sort of insightful pass over a few yards. Essien was a completely different sort of midfielder whos legs had gone by then. As for Lampard.. you will hear good midfield players praise their limited team mates. 

Insightful pass? What does that mean? He kept the ball, rarely gave it away, highest pass completion rate in consecutive seasons and won trophy after trophy. How can you argue he was crap? If he was crap he doesn't play in that great Chelsea side.

By your logic, Busquets is also crap because he doesn't score goals and only ever passes sideways.

Essien's legs had gone at 29? Yep Essien was that knackered Jose Mourinho signed him for Real Madrid the following season. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Insightful pass? What does that mean? He kept the ball, rarely gave it away, highest pass completion rate in consecutive seasons and won trophy after trophy. How can you argue he was crap? If he was crap he doesn't play in that great Chelsea side.

By your logic, Busquets is also crap because he doesn't score goals and only ever passes sideways.

Essien's legs had gone at 29? Yep Essien was that knackered Jose Mourinho signed him for Real Madrid the following season. 

Merely my opinion he was a weak link in a great side. By insightful I mean one that can start an attack rather than a sidewards one. And as for Busquets he can tackle, is tenacious and has movement. I never saw those qualities in Mikel

And I was sure Essien was older than that when he left Chelsea. My bad

We’ve lost a number of past it +30 year olds recently. This shouldn’t exclude us from signing still obviously class +30 players in the future. If he’s still got it and plays in a position we need filling and the deals right for us financially then why on earth anyone would turn their noses up at signing him? Just because we need younger players it shouldn’t prevent us from looking at other players in addition to those young fit world beaters everyone’s crying out for.

57 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I wish I was an Owlstalk Gestapo like you and had the ability to delete posts I find offensive or don't agree with, because you've offended me with this drivel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest wilyfox
58 minutes ago, flo said:

I would have him

From behind, or mish with legs over your shoulders? Would you lube up or gurn it in dry? 

47 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Merely my opinion he was a weak link in a great side. By insightful I mean one that can start an attack rather than a sidewards one. And as for Busquets he can tackle, is tenacious and has movement. I never saw those qualities in Mikel

And I was sure Essien was older than that when he left Chelsea. My bad

I think you’ll find a weak link in a great side would be a great player in a Championship side.

The gulf is immense.

This is assuming his desire and legs are still there.  But he is only 31 not 35 and his performances for Boro appeared to be at a high level.

A PL side will sign him. He’d be great for the Pigs.

Dont think a weak link gets to play 250 matches under different managers though....

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Like 1