Lesson to All Fans

Whllst trawling the net, I came across what I considered a very funny story. Three Spurs fans, all season ticket holders at WHL, or wherever Spurs are playing at present,all drank 12 pints of ale each, pre the Champions League Second Leg. The visitors, having won the 1st leg. were leading Spurs at half-time, with Spurs apparently not playing well . The 'loyal' supporters decided they'd had enough and came out at HT. Spurs then turned it round, and scored 4 to win the semi and set up a final with Liverpool.

Thinking back to our last season, how many times have games including SW have interesting twists in the final 10 mins,or even in injury time? But yet we still have a major exodus of Wednesday fans who exit after 80 minutes .It can't be to escape the crowds, since so many do it. It can be very annoying for fans actually watching the game to be so consistently interrupted by this. Surely, this time to get away can be factored in to one's plans?

I've never understood people's gripe with people leaving early, it's their choice and doesn't affect you at all.

I remember a couple of mates left Scunthorpe away at HT years ago, 2-0 down in the cup under laws, we were horrific. We scored 2 goals late on and Laws ended up in the centre circle giving it large. 

Edited by Owls2k
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've never really understood why people leave so early, 10 minutes plus injury time in some cases, and risk missing late drama,  especially when an important game could go either way, but tough it's their choice and them missing out when it happens. 

e.g. those who missed Mark Crossley's once in a lifetime goal, or left Rotherham early when they went ahead late on and missed two late goals to win it for us. They pretend they don't mind but they do really. The funniest was those Man City fans who left early in 2012 and missed the greatest moment in their clubs history! 

52 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

I've never understood people's gripe with people leaving early, it's their choice and doesn't affect you at all.

It absolutely does, and that’s why it bugs me. You wouldn’t put up with it at the cinema or theatre. I sit on a gangway row and it massively affects both the overall atmosphere, and my own ability to clearly see and focus on the last 10% of the game.

(Lesser gripe, but while I’m at it: I’ve always thought it must be a bit crap for the players if they’re chasing the game into the dying minutes, it’s like 50% of the crowd going “meh, not gonna happen lads”. If you’re doing any sort of public performance and half the audience leave with 10min to go it’s not gonna feel brilliant, even if you’ve already been paid your fee.)

4 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

It absolutely does, and that’s why it bugs me. You wouldn’t put up with it at the cinema or theatre. I sit on a gangway row and it massively affects both the overall atmosphere, and my own ability to clearly see and focus on the last 10% of the game.

Spot on !

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Whllst trawling the net, I came across what I considered a very funny story. Three Spurs fans, all season ticket holders at WHL, or wherever Spurs are playing at present,all drank 12 pints of ale each, pre the Champions League Second Leg. The visitors, having won the 1st leg. were leading Spurs at half-time, with Spurs apparently not playing well . The 'loyal' supporters decided they'd had enough and came out at HT. Spurs then turned it round, and scored 4 to win the semi and set up a final with Liverpool.

Thinking back to our last season, how many times have games including SW have interesting twists in the final 10 mins,or even in injury time? But yet we still have a major exodus of Wednesday fans who exit after 80 minutes .It can't be to escape the crowds, since so many do it. It can be very annoying for fans actually watching the game to be so consistently interrupted by this. Surely, this time to get away can be factored in to one's plans?

After the Villa game, I had made arrangements to stay till the end, (I normally leave before full time so I can make my train home to the Midlands),

knowing that I would be on the same train as villa fans decided to get the later train, the only one available at the price I was

willing to pay (£30) instead of (£75), it was the last train out of Sheff, with a connection from Brum to my home town, train was delayed, missed the last train to Nuneaton, had to get last train to Coventry, cost me £30 for taxi home.

Thats why some of us leave before the end.

Edited by daleblue

9 minutes ago, daleblue said:

After the Villa game, I had made arrangements to stay till the end, (I normally leave before full time so I can make my train home to the Midlands),

knowing that I would be on the same transport decided to get the later train, the only one available at the price I was willing to pay (£30) instead of 

(£75), it was the last train out of Sheff, with a connection from Brum to my home town, train was delayed, missed the last train to Nuneaton, had to get

last train to Coventry, cost me £30 for taxi home.

Thats why some of us leave before the end.

Aye, there will always be legit reasons and of course I don't begrudge anyone those.

I'm really glad you travel so far to be there, and more power to you for doing so.

I feel like a lot of Sheffield-based folk still do it though as if it's 1992, pre-trams, when tickets were about tenner or whatever, and being in the *small minority* of folks who made a cheeky swift exit on 85min would actually save you about 40min getting home, compared to exiting along with another 29k people at the final whistle, when everywhere for about a mile radius around the ground was just total gridlock for the best part of an hour.

It's just not the case now though, it makes hardly any difference at all with the trams and dozens more buses running. Leave 10min early, get home 10min early. Can't see the gain for locals, especially at 30-odd quid a game.

Edited by Mr. Tom

13 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Aye, there will always be legit reasons and of course I don't begrudge anyone those.

I'm really glad you travel so far to be there, and more power to you for doing so.

I feel like a lot of Sheffield-based folk still do it though as if it's 1990, pre-trams, when being in the *small minority* of folks who made a cheeky swift exit on 85min would actually save you about 40min getting home, compared to exiting along with another 29k people at the final whistle, when everywhere for about a mile radius around the ground was just traffic chaos.

It's just not the case now though, it makes no difference at all with the trams and dozens more buses running. Leave 10min early, get home 10min earlier. Can't see the point for locals.

I agree, but even local people might need to be somewhere without being caught up with other fans, I was on the same tram as Cardiff last Season and (at the age of over 60) had to run from centre of Sheffield to Train Station and literally jumped on the train as the doors were closing.

From the ground onto first tram to City centre took over an hour, this was due to the fact that had to wait for tram, then when it arrived took an age to get everyone on, then traffic into Sheff, so it's a culmination of all different factors you have to consider.

So why not just leave early.

Edited by daleblue
  • Like 1

There are times where we could play another 90 minutes and you know we're not going to score!!!

Never ever used to leave early but on the odd occasion that it's just not going to happen I leave with 2 mins to go. It takes 45 mins off my journey, so can fully understand it.

The only time that I have ever left early was a few years ago at Exeter when we were 4-1 down, it had already snowed heavily and was threatening to do so again... I thought “ it’s been a shyte day and getting stuck on Bodmin Moor wouldn’t really improve matters” so I left five minutes before the end. I heard their fifth go in as I was walking back to the car.

• Haha 2

I find it amazing that Yorkshire is losing it's grip on the title of tight barstewards.

Especially more baffling leaving our games early when you consider what people have paid.

You may as well enjoy all 90 minutes + stoppage time of misery/success if you shell out £30+ for it.

37 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I agree, but even local people might need to be somewhere without being caught up with other fans, I was on the same tram as Cardiff last Season and (at the age of over 60) had to run from centre of Sheffield to Train Station and literally jumped on the train as the doors were closing.

From the ground onto first tram to City centre took over an hour, this was due to the fact that had to wait for tram, then when it arrived took an age to get everyone on, then traffic into Sheff, so it's a culmination of all different factors you have to consider.

So why not just leave early.

Again, sounds like a totally fair enough example. I doubt there's necessarily an equally pressing need for the other 7-8k though.

I get that in a way it's just a "shush, let people do what they want" sort of thing. But it does absolutely wreck the end of nearly every game for me, so it's not just that I'm being cranky for absolutely no reason. Again, it doesn't happen in nearly any other paid live event I can think of, just football.

Maybe we get too much of it. Not even really joking.