Westwood update

9 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Joe Hart will be on an absolute ton, are people genuinely serious thinking we`ll go after him? 

He might be tempted if we through in a couple of bottles of Head and Shoulders. He fvvcking loves the stuff. 

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Cant imagine Burnley would have give another keeper having already had 2 good ones 50k+ a week on a two year deal. 

Just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that club would do.

And even if he is on somewhere near that. Westwood will be after around 25-30k ish. 

So it is possible a deal could be done but probably only on loan.

No I doubt that ..he's only got a year and a half left on his contract, these guys are looking for the next big deal at that point and Hart will be looking for a biggy ,it may be his last biggy ?

He will be going to a promoted championship club...... 

Joe Hart came to Burnley when they had only one fit goalkeeper available and he was gash ...

Heaton was injured and also had a very well documented spat with the club at the time ..

And Pope was long term injured ..

Before they were promoted Burnley's wage cap was 25k per week the club and older players were given less and shorter contract renewals as part of club policy hence how we ended up with Jones & Boyd..(we offered them longer better deals ..

This is also the reason Andre Gray toddled off to Watford because he was trying to engineer a huge pay rise mid contract in line with Premier League "norm wages". and Dyche wasnt having any of that !!!

Burnley had to bring in Joe Hart he wasn't a luxury .....

They will sell him and probably make a profit on his purchase cost or at worst break even ...

Its now circa 50 Wage cap at Burnley  not very high for premier league teams by comparison to others ..

as an aside Mr Wilder will have to fall into line with premier League wage structures if he wants to attract big players now .

Heads get turned very quickly in that league.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No I doubt that ..he's only got a year and a half left on his contract, these guys are looking for the next big deal at that point and Hart will be looking for a biggy ,it may be his last biggy ?

Joe Hart came to Burnley when they had only one fit goalkeeper available and he was gash ...

Heaton was injured and also had a very well documented spat with the club at the time ..

Before they were promoted Burnley's wage cap was 25k per week the club and older players were given less and shorter contract renewals as part of club policy hence how we ended up with Jones & Boyd..(we offered them longer better deals ..

This is also the reason Andre Gray toddled off to Watford because he was trying to engineer a huge pay rise mid contract in line with Premier League "norm wages". and Dyche wasnt having any of that !!!

They will sell him and probably make a profit on his purchase cost or at worst break even ...

Its now circa 50 Wage cap at Burnley  not very high for premier league teams by comparison to others ..

as an aside Mr Wilder will have to fall into line with premier League wage structures if he wants to attract big players now .

Still dont think Burnley are mad enough to give what was essentially a stop gap keeper 50k a week on a two year deal.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Still dont think Burnley are mad enough to give what was essentially a stop gap keeper 50k a week on a two year deal.

Burnley aren't mad ..

they paid the going rate for a Premier League goalkeeper when both of their international standard goalkeepers were out for long term injuries 

thats how it rolls .

The bar is set in that division and its bled over into the championship over the years.. that's why we are in "châteaux neuf du pap" as a result !!

The likes of Shearer etc  were on circa 45k -  25 years ago its nothing by comparison now...

• Like 1

Just now, Themagiccap said:

Some made up journalist on Twitter, Jeff Phillips, has posted Westwood to Bristol City is all but complete. Hope it’s a load of BS but fits in with us being in for Darlow

Westwood been a good GK, Darlow also a good GK. Would he happy with either and if Darlow, has age on his side, approaching his prime as a GK.

I'd still bet on Westwood staying, but good to see we have options in place in case he doesn't. I'm not sure that under previous regimes this would have been the case.

6 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Cant imagine Burnley would have give another keeper having already had 2 good ones 50k+ a week on a two year deal. 

Just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that club would do.

And even if he is on somewhere near that. Westwood will be after around 25-30k ish. 

So it is possible a deal could be done but probably only on loan.

What wages are the other 2 on? I suspect when they signed Hart they probably had him in mind as the number 1. Not number 3

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

What wages are the other 2 on? I suspect when they signed Hart they probably had him in mind as the number 1. Not number 3

They all ready had two international keepers they were just both injured. So I ain't sure that was the case.

On 13/05/2019 at 12:55, vulva said:

Westwood has been a very good keeper, and played very well at the end of last season. A bit like Nuhui did, prior to getting his big contract....

Lets not forget, that before he got dropped, he wasn’t playing well. And I can’t ever recall a player going down injured more. And he has missed quite a few games in recent months, when ‘available’. The underlying issue for me is overpaid players, and now holding us to ransom. A large % of this squad have failed, on 3 separate occasions, despite being in receipt of huge salaries. 

In our our current financial predicament, I just think we could do down a different route. Championship sides must get the pick of the best young Premier League reserves, and this should be our option. I’d rather us spend the money in other more reliable areas. 

More reliable areas being ?? , how can you not say that having the right keeper in isn’t the most important aspect for any team ? 

Darlow has been outstanding every time I have seen him,  Like it or not Westwood is coming to the end of his career and is injury prone.  Darlow is about to enter the prime years of his career and has something to prove.  I work in Nottingham and there is reported interest in Westwood from Forest.  The Forest fans all rate Darlow very highly and would have him back in a heartbeat.

18 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The look on Hodge's face was a picture!

The looks on the thousands of faces on the kop were somewhat different!

I don't think anyone could believe it. Especially the goal scorer. Just another surreal moment being a Wednesday fan.

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Burnley aren't mad ..

they paid the going rate for a Premier League goalkeeper when both of their international standard goalkeepers were out for long term injuries 

thats how it rolls .

The bar is set in that division and its bled over into the championship over the years.. that's why we are in "châteaux neuf du pap" as a result !!

The likes of Shearer etc  were on circa 45k -  25 years ago its nothing by comparison now...

Bonnet de ****** Owlerton, Bonnet de ******.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

So.….………………  Pope ain't actually dead, huh ? Just long term injured   ????

Back in two weeks then lol 

• Haha 2