Westwood update

25 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Players getting injured doesn’t mean they are on their way down though?

If it was a  2 year contract or nothing, then I’d give him the 2 years he wants. How much is he  going to be on?30k? That’s 1.5M in wages for the second year. I think it’s worth a 1.5M gamble incase he does manage to play games in his second year too. Even if he only played a full season of games over 2 years, I feel he’s worth the £3M outlay of wages.

Players getting injured consistently is a real concern, the fact is the older a player gets the injuries take longer to heal, so could be construed as 

a player on his way down, if he makes a miraculous recovery from having intermittent injuries and lay offs I will eat my hat.

Giving him a 2 year contract  based on past injuries would not be cost effective.

Edited by daleblue

3 Keepers we could look at if Westwood walks:

Karl Darlow out of contract at Newcastle. A very good keeper at this level and only 28

Scott Carson out of favour at Derby and still a decent keeper

John Ruddy would most likely be a loan but a former England number 3 and a year younger than Westwood.

I'd hate to lose KW but there are options

We can’t be held to ransom by a high earning player. 

Westwood is a very good ‘keeper but it’s easy enough to get a competent replacement and then use the money freed up to strengthen defence and midfield. 

For example, would you swap Westwood for any of the ‘keepers in the top-six? You don’t need an excellent ‘keeper to win promotion. It helps, but a competent ‘keeper behind a good defence and midfield will do. 

Piggies got an excellent young keeper in on loan, it doesn't have to be Westwood for us and no other. I like him and would happily keep him, but on our terms not his.

In any event Dawson is capable enough, young and improving and I'm more than confident that Steve Bruce will do what  is necessary and right for the team, whatever that is.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

If we don't resign him we will be seeing Dawson or Wildsmith in goal next season. There will be no plan to replace him. 

It's a technique used by owners to show that they 'tried' to resign that player but it was the player that turned them down. Great way to save costs and shift the blame.

• Haha 2

Guest oz_owl
2 minutes ago, poite said:

If we don't resign him we will be seeing Dawson or Wildsmith in goal next season. There will be no plan to replace him. 

It's a technique used by owners to show that they 'tried' to resign that player but it was the player that turned them down. Great way to save costs and shift the blame.

And releasing supposedly confidential contract details/discussions is a technique used by agents to try to force clubs hand, jack up the wage given to their client, alert other clubs who may pay more that their client is available, or otherwise shift blame to the club.

Works both ways.

35 minutes ago, poite said:

Don’t think Bruce will stand for that

I’m more baffled we haven’t offered him a two year contract a player of Westwood’s age quality will expect longer. Yes he gets injured any player can but we are undoubtably a different beast when Westwood plays. And when he plays he more than makes up for it will his remarkable clean sheet record. To let somebody like Westwood go over a years contract would be barking mad 

Guest gizowl
44 minutes ago, poite said:

Think you're wide of the mark, SB will have all posts covered, if Westwood goes he wont go with Dawson or Wildsmith as first choice, if he gets the chance at least one of them will be out on loan for the season or sold. 

51 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Our fans are morons. You have just watched the difference in upturn in defence form since he came back and yet still some say let him go. 

Just amazing. You couldn’t make it up 

Never realised he was managing the team as well....

7 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Great post.

20 years ago we had just finished mid table in the Premier League, in a season when we beat the team that won the treble that season.  The 20 years since have been nothing short of a disgrace and a diabolical low in our great history.  57 promotions to the Premier League since 2000 including footballing giants like Brighton, Blackpool, Burnley, Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth.  In those 20 years many, many players, coaches and owners that have passed through the club and taken our money but none have had the stones , heart or talent to take one of those 57 slots.  It was sickening seeing the jizz in for our goal of the season video this season.  We have highlights and youtube players who don't have the bottle or determination to be consistent and get themselves promoted.

Bruce will see this and hopefully release the lot and start again, including the goalie.  

I'd say Westwood is one of those players who has bottle and determination. Can see in the way he play he is a winner, and someone like him is important in the dressing room. 

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Our fans are morons. You have just watched the difference in upturn in defence form since he came back and yet still some say let him go. 

It's all dependent on what wage he's after. He's been a great keeper for us, he's also coming to the end of his career. Bruce and his staff have been around and will know what is sensible (I hope). 

We are in danger of an embargo at the moment, every deal we make has to be right for the club. We cannot indulge in overpaying like we have done the past few seasons and we must strive for true value, or we`ll keep repeating the mistakes of the last few seasons and be a second division team for another 2 decades. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poite said:

I'm sorry...but this is a load of rubbish. 

Do you honestly think Bruce would go for this? 

That he has to pick Dawson, Wildsmith etc. 

Don't be silly. 

3 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

It's all dependent on what wage he's after. He's been a great keeper for us, he's also coming to the end of his career. Bruce and his staff have been around and will know what is sensible (I hope). 

We are in danger of an embargo at the moment, every deal we make has to be right for the club. We cannot indulge in overpaying like we have done the past few seasons and we must strive for true value, or we`ll keep repeating the mistakes of the last few seasons and be a second division team for another 2 decades. 

Of course we have to watch costs but thankfully we have at least shifted a significant sum of wages off the bill with the likes of Jones, Abdi, Boyd and Hooper leaving.

The re-signing of a keeper on a good wage who knows the club and knows at least some of the players that will form the defence in front of him might well be more cost effective by having to look elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Indeed, it would be interesting to know who they would put forward as suitable replacements for a keeper who has consistently kept clean sheets for us season after season.   

6 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

3 Keepers we could look at if Westwood walks:

Karl Darlow out of contract at Newcastle. A very good keeper at this level and only 28

Scott Carson out of favour at Derby and still a decent keeper

John Ruddy would most likely be a loan but a former England number 3 and a year younger than Westwood.

I'd hate to lose KW but there are options

Wouldn't be surprised if Bruce went for Joe Hart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Piggies got an excellent young keeper in on loan, it doesn't have to be Westwood for us and no other. I like him and would happily keep him, but on our terms not his.

In any event Dawson is capable enough, young and improving and I'm more than confident that Steve Bruce will do what  is necessary and right for the team, whatever that is.

Dawson simply isn't good enough.

He might be in the future, but right now he's not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

We have 4 bits of business to do, resign Westwood, Palmer and Lee, plus bring back Hector. Those are our priorities

The first and last are the most important and those are the two that worry me the most.