Westwood update

5 minutes ago, Jaydubz said:

Deal agreed with Wednesday in principal. Contract not signed yet.

Offers on table from Cardiff and Leeds, 1 year contracts, not financially better than Wednesdays offer. 

In Jan, Tottenham offered him a contract to be their 2/3 choice keeper, wants to play games at this stage of his career hence he rejected it.

Has no interest in signing for Huddersfield.

Straight from horses mouth.

Really hope this is true and he gets signed to us ASAP. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
28 minutes ago, vulva said:

Be interesting to hear what the physios think of offering KW a long term deal....

Anyway, I think he’s a keeper on the way down. Another one for me where we quit whilst we are level\ahead. We need young, ambitious footballers. A total change in strategy. 

I’m interested to hear what they say, but given how hopeless they have been I would then do the opposite.

45 minutes ago, vulva said:

Be interesting to hear what the physios think of offering KW a long term deal....

Anyway, I think he’s a keeper on the way down. Another one for me where we quit whilst we are level\ahead. We need young, ambitious footballers. A total change in strategy. 

Westwood has been a revelation since he came back into the side. He’s showing no signs of being on the way down. A goalkeeper is a position where youth and ambition is not always the ideal combination unless they are special young keepers like Buffon,Casillas etc It’s imperative that we keep him.

Two questions:

Who would you bring in in his place? 

What makes you think he is on the way down? 

49 minutes ago, vulva said:

Westwood has played very well since he's been here and shown his worth this season, he's got at least another 4-5 years at this level, a replacement of similar stature would cost a lot of money, he should stay and I think he will.

11 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Westwood has played very well since he's been here and shown his worth this season, he's got at least another 4-5 years at this level, a replacement of similar stature would cost a lot of money, he should stay and I think he will.

Agreed 

12 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Westwood has been a revelation since he came back into the side. He’s showing no signs of being on the way down. A goalkeeper is a position where youth and ambition is not always the ideal combination unless they are special young keepers like Buffon,Casillas etc It’s imperative that we keep him.

Two questions:

Westwood has been a very good keeper, and played very well at the end of last season. A bit like Nuhui did, prior to getting his big contract....

Lets not forget, that before he got dropped, he wasn’t playing well. And I can’t ever recall a player going down injured more. And he has missed quite a few games in recent months, when ‘available’. The underlying issue for me is overpaid players, and now holding us to ransom. A large % of this squad have failed, on 3 separate occasions, despite being in receipt of huge salaries. 

In our our current financial predicament, I just think we could do down a different route. Championship sides must get the pick of the best young Premier League reserves, and this should be our option. I’d rather us spend the money in other more reliable areas. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Club managers, a long line of them,  perhaps have learned not to put too much store in what our Physios have to say lol

18 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Two questions:

First question,  I would leave that to Bruce, he knows who is available and cost.

Second question, Since been back has he not been injured again? 

For me he is one if not the best in this division, (blue & white specs on), but his injury record is not great.

Rolling one year deal for me.

40 minutes ago, vulva said:

A bit like Nuhui did, prior to getting his big contract....

I just don't buy the fact that Nuhui only played well because he was after a new contract and then stopped trying. More likely he just got a bit lucky.

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I just don't buy the fact that Nuhui only played well because he was after a new contract and then stopped trying. More likely he just got a bit lucky.

I agree. 

The big man just hit a purple patch at the right time. 

What has happened since - and before - indicates he isn't a prolific goalscorer at this level. 

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, Jaydubz said:

Sorry not sure whether we have offered 1 or 2 years.

Golfing holiday by any chance?  

52 minutes ago, vulva said:

Westwood has been a very good keeper, and played very well at the end of last season. A bit like Nuhui did, prior to getting his big contract....

Lets not forget, that before he got dropped, he wasn’t playing well. And I can’t ever recall a player going down injured more. And he has missed quite a few games in recent months, when ‘available’. The underlying issue for me is overpaid players, and now holding us to ransom. A large % of this squad have failed, on 3 separate occasions, despite being in receipt of huge salaries. 

In our our current financial predicament, I just think we could do down a different route. Championship sides must get the pick of the best young Premier League reserves, and this should be our option. I’d rather us spend the money in other more reliable areas. 

Great post.

20 years ago we had just finished mid table in the Premier League, in a season when we beat the team that won the treble that season.  The 20 years since have been nothing short of a disgrace and a diabolical low in our great history.  57 promotions to the Premier League since 2000 including footballing giants like Brighton, Blackpool, Burnley, Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth.  In those 20 years many, many players, coaches and owners that have passed through the club and taken our money but none have had the stones , heart or talent to take one of those 57 slots.  It was sickening seeing the jizz in for our goal of the season video this season.  We have highlights and youtube players who don't have the bottle or determination to be consistent and get themselves promoted.

Bruce will see this and hopefully release the lot and start again, including the goalie.  

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Goalkeeper is probably the position that has more influence on the points earned than any other. I'd rather have a top keeper rather than a top goal scorer.

15 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

2 years at least, other clubs coming in will offer at least that.

Agree, and longer deals. The same kind of thing we were doing 3 years ago, flexing our financial muscle, or maxing out the credit card, whichever way you look at it.   We are now not in that game. 

The elephant in the room is our accounts, the fact they are late, and DCs comment about armageddon. Nothing stacks up imo. We were under a soft embargo last season, and now appear willing to throw more than a few quid about. 

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

Goalkeeper is probably the position that has more influence on the points earned than any other. I'd rather have a top keeper rather than a top goal scorer.

I wouldn’t. Strikers get you in and out of leagues. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I can see you’re point of view, but with a keeper i just think it’s such an important position that we should try and keep hi at all costs. If we can’t we need to replace him with an experienced ,quality goalkeeper. Not sure where we’d find a replacement who’s at his level though.

Edited by Tudders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

First question,  I would leave that to Bruce, he knows who is available and cost.

Second question, Since been back has he not been injured again? 

For me he is one if not the best in this division, (blue & white specs on), but his injury record is not great.

Rolling one year deal for me.

Players getting injured doesn’t mean they are on their way down though?

If it was a  2 year contract or nothing, then I’d give him the 2 years he wants. How much is he  going to be on?30k? That’s 1.5M in wages for the second year. I think it’s worth a 1.5M gamble incase he does manage to play games in his second year too. Even if he only played a full season of games over 2 years, I feel he’s worth the £3M outlay of wages.