Westwood update

28 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Starting to wonder if the club don't actually want to keep him and are just making a token effort to appease the fans, while actually planning for next season with Dawson as no.1. There's definitely something weird going on.

Why is it weird?

He’s 35, injury prone (ish) and there are plenty of keepers about

I’d like to keep him but it sounds to me like we are being sensible for once.

Compared to offering Hutch a 4 year contract for example 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I saw Ogrizovic retired the other day. He must be mint now at 60.

I think Westwood is fantastic but whether he can stay at his prime for another two years is debatable. He’d be 36/37 when his contract expired and on big money. As others have suggested I hope any deal factors some incentives so that it suits both parties.

If Huddersfield have offered 2/3 years we’d be struggling but they have the same risk too.

Clearly your post has an element of moronality about it. 

I can think of Keepers who have improved with age year on year: 

Tim Howard 

Shay Given 

David James 

Edwin Van Der Sar 

Ben Foster 

Scot Carson 

list goes on ..... 

The very fact big SO retired at 60 shows the longevity of a goal keeper. 

Stop showing yourself up. 

Edited by BD2OWL

Wednesday have done right to offer a one year deal! He will sign a two year deal. If we had gone in with a two year offer he would of wanted a three year deal and do on...

Let's not forget its the agents that negotiate and they will fight for the most lucrative deal for the player abd most importantly themselves. 

He will 100% be here next year!  He would have just turned it down point blank if he didn't want to be here

All three westy, Palmer and Lee will sign. 

23 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Clearly your post has an element of moronality about it. 

I can think of Keepers who have improved with age year on year: 

Tim Howard 

Shay Given 

David James 

Edwin Van Der Sar 

Ben Foster 

Scot Carson 

list goes on ..... 

The very fact big SO retired at 60 shows the longevity of a goal keeper. 

Stop showing yourself up. 

I was being light hearted to be honest. Something you’re clearly unable to do.

Ogrizovic was working behind the scenes and I’m fairly sure he wasn’t keeping in any capacity any more.

Theres no way all the keepers you mentioned there were as good at their late 30s as they were in early 30s. Perhaps one or two and they all played for clubs able to afford to keep them around either way. There is also a list many times longer of keepers who haven’t got better as they go past 35 and they move down the leagues.

Its the unpalateable truth rather than moronic, but whatever makes you feel better.

I’d certainly offer a two year deal to Westwood. If he had played all season we would probably have made the play offs and maybe pushed for automatic. The way he has lifted the spirits of the supporters and the players by just appearing between the sticks is worth every penny of a two year contract...you don’t mess about when it comes to ‘keepers, they’re the base of the spine down the middle of the team.

18 minutes ago, sternlad said:

I’d certainly offer a two year deal to Westwood. If he had played all season we would probably have made the play offs and maybe pushed for automatic.

Westwood played all but three of our opening 21 games in the previous season, after which we were 15th in the league. Funnily enough, that's exactly where we finished the season having played Wildsmith and Dawson for the rest of the games.

Westwood's a very good 'keeper, but he's not capable of turning a mediocre team into a good one on his own.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Doesn't surprise me, great GK, but he is 35 in October. 

Not saying I wouldn't like to see him stay for 2 years, but the club have to consider age and injury record too, particularly as he will be a high earner.

As I understand it next season the ball doesn't have to go outside the penalty area before being touched by a player.

I would assume that tactically goalkeepers will need to be switched on to the possibilities arising from this change.

Don't know how this is going to work out in practice, but I've never been too impressed with Westwood's distribution. Can he adapt to the new rules and exploit the opportunities or would someone younger be more adaptable?One would hope the training staff are looking at ways to take advantage of this. On the other hand it might not make much difference, a quick pass back and hoof it up field.

4 hours ago, BD2OWL said:

Give him 2 years. 

To to be fair Keepers get better as they get older. 

Not it like he’s a central midfielder whose legs are gonna go or a winger aka Jones & Boyd 

May as well give him a 10 year contract then hadn't we? :duntmatter:

Westwood in goal next season we have a chance of top 6, Dawson in goal next season we will be lucky to make top half.

nothing against Dawson but Westwood is just a better keeper and concedes less goals. The defence play better when he is in goal.

take the saving on jones, abdi, hooper, pudil, Boyd and reinvest a little of it to keep the best keeper in the league at Hillsborough. Or we can watch him next season win promotion in another team. Bruce is not stupid but DC is and let's hope Bruce is in charge of contracts not the chairman or its going to be a long and difficult season next season.