Westwood update

Imagine if Jos was still in charge.

DC gives Westwood a 1-year deal and Jos leaves him out saying we've got to look to the future. WTF:

A 1-year deal plus a clause for an extra year based on appearances sounds sensible but the way we messed players about last season suggests some might be wary of this - say it was 30 appearances needed he could suddenly find himself out of the side after around 25 games if we were lower than mid-table and in need of saving money.....

As has been said, we know what we are getting with Westwood and offering two years might be better than trying to find another keeper of comparable quality, no guarantee it would be the right fit.

We need to give him 2 years. This is a key player and component to our side and he is also a leader. If he leaves, we will regret it. We should not be playing games with our key players and risk losing him to a likely competitor next season. Sort it out Wednesday! 

I'm pretty torn on this - great keeper but 35 this year. Sensible options can be found elsewhere, like what United have done with Henderson. 

1 year with the offer of an extension if he meets appearance targets sounds sensible. 

He’s got to be with at least a dozen points to us a season, probably more.

And on top of that he keeps the defence honest. He’s got four really good years left in him. I’d give him a two year contact and dance in the street if he signed it.

• Like 1

Just offer him one year with a further option of another year if the manager thinks he deserves it end of

If you truly wants to stay at the club that is what he will do if not I suppose there is plenty of young goalkeepers that would like to be given the opportunity 

No disrespect but players have got to stop holding Sheffield Wednesday to ransom This is why where in the trouble we are in now

This is all about negotiations. Wednesday offer X Westwood wants Y and hopefully common sense prevails somewhere in the middle 

If as suggested it’s only length of contract then surely Wednesdays next offer should be 1 year plus an automatic extension  based on number of starts.

If he does leave Bruce will have to offer another keeper longer than a 1 year deal anyway so we may as well stick with what we know 

To be honest I thought money might be the issue which I’d have thought would have been a bigger problem

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Are any other Champ clubs going to offer a 3-year deal to a 34 yr old, who's 35 in October? I doubt it.

Give him a year with a structured option of a further year.

Been told we offered one yr , Hutdds offered 2 but ours is a higher weekly wage 

1 hour ago, BD2OWL said:

Give him 2 years. 

To to be fair Keepers get better as they get older. 

Not it like he’s a central midfielder whose legs are gonna go or a winger aka Jones & Boyd 

I saw Ogrizovic retired the other day. He must be mint now at 60.

I think Westwood is fantastic but whether he can stay at his prime for another two years is debatable. He’d be 36/37 when his contract expired and on big money. As others have suggested I hope any deal factors some incentives so that it suits both parties.

If Huddersfield have offered 2/3 years we’d be struggling but they have the same risk too.

Westwood's form prior to his injury layoff in 2017/18 was far from impressive, but he's done brilliantly since returning from exile in recent months.

After falling foul of P&S rules in part by tying ourselves into lengthy and costly contracts with players who either lost form or missed too many games through injury, I can understand why the club might have offered a one-year deal to a 34-year-old 'keeper who's not immune to a loss of form or an injury layoff himself.

He's a brilliant 'keeper at this level, and I'd love for him to want to stay next season, but the club have to learn from the mistakes of recent seasons and make offers which protect our interests first and foremost. 

25 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Starting to wonder if the club don't actually want to keep him and are just making a token effort to appease the fans, while actually planning for next season with Dawson as no.1. There's definitely something weird going on.

I'd be staggered if Bruce goes with Dawson as his number 1 next season.