Westwood update

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Bottom line is we definitely have a top goal keeper for the next 12 months.

Seem like a win to me.

It may be an option to extend for a year - granted. But it could easily have something like a % pay increase wrapped into it. Agents of today try to look out for their clients. Something not straight forward if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

It may be an option to extend for a year - granted. But it could easily have something like a % pay increase wrapped into it. Agents of today try to look out for their clients. Something not straight forward if you ask me.

I think we were trying to be cheeky and ask Westwood to take a pay cut of sorts. Then realised he wouldn't and have just tied him down on the same terms before huddersfield could get in there.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think we were trying to be cheeky and ask Westwood to take a pay cut of sorts. Then realised he wouldn't and have just tied him down on the same terms before huddersfield could get in there.

Or, if they still want him.  It's going to cost them.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

That one year extension option means we hold all the cards now though.

Not necessarily. Purely hypothetical but would you want a player who's pissed off that he could get a better deal elsewhere in the dressing room? Signing a contract with a one year extension deal eons ago doesn't necessarily mean the context doesn't change as time goes on. 

11 minutes ago, Anthndav said:

Not necessarily. Purely hypothetical but would you want a player who's pissed off that he could get a better deal elsewhere in the dressing room? Signing a contract with a one year extension deal eons ago doesn't necessarily mean the context doesn't change as time goes on. 

End of the day we were always going to take the option of the 1 year extension. He would have know that would have been the case as soon as he became our number 1 again and we decided we wanted to keep him. He will be more than happy with it.

5 hours ago, Anthndav said:

I’d be mightily p155ed off if I was held to a contract where I was set to earn between £1M to £2M over the next year. 

I’d be fvvcking fuming. 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Anthndav said:

Was good enough for him when he signed it. 

1 hour ago, HootHoot said:

People change, and under Jos he was practically frozen out. 

Surely that must have had some lasting effect on him

Didn’t appear so given the performances since his return. But you know what, tough sh*t...he signed a contract. We would have to adhere to contractual commitments, so should players. 

All said and done, I’m fairly certain him and Bruce have discussed all of this. The contract clause won’t be a a surprise 

Maybe Westwood will, in the end, sign the new deal because it’ll give him a little more stability in the short term.  

We’ll see though. Either way if he really didn’t want to be here then I’m sure the club would move him on. 

Edited by bigdan2003