Westwood update

2 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

Could say that about any player we sign tbh

Westwood along with Bannan Lee and hooper has given us plenty of great memories and performances during thier time here. Along with Nando too they've all created magic for us and made us happy. 

I'm just backing the manager on this as there's too many people being over the top an hysterical about the possibility of losing Westwood. 

When he goes wednesday will still be here and everyones time at a club has to end one way or another the one thing we can't stop is the march of time. Bruce will replace him at some point, no one can go on forever, by then we'll have other potential heroes to covert and cheer for. 

Kieron Lee is my favourite player over the last decade or so, but if Bruce had said nope we're gonna release him, then I trust the managers judgment. Same with any other player in the current sqaud be it reach, Nando, hooper (who has gone now). 

Football will carry on along with our quest to improve, that's life. 

1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I think Steve Bruce will be casting his net a little further afield than Stoke City reserves.

What about Partizan Belgrade striker Drago Bozo? Would he fit the bill?

No no no, no more moustaches :ghoulguy:

1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I think Steve Bruce will be casting his net a little further afield than Stoke City reserves.

What about Partizan Belgrade striker Drago Bozo? Would he fit the bill?

Hmmm dosnt sound the brightest, be on the perfect intelligence level to have a. Conversation with Jordan pickford I suppose, no one ever said you needed to be bright to play in goal lol lol

Can I just reiterate yet again, it has always been the case that clubs offer lesser terms with the intial contract offer and the players always reject it another offer is then tabled, this has always gone on but with the days of social media and charlatans like Alan Nixon chasing clicks its now blown out of all proportion.

I'm fairly confident Westwood will be our no 1 keeper choice come August 3rd.

• Like 1

For all of Westwoods quality .. as long as Bruce, and i'm pretty sure he's clued up on decent keepers, is able to bring another in, then i've no issue if we were to lose him.

He's a good keeper, absolute class on his day and he's been a great servant for us and i for one would be sad to see him go.

Offer him a 1 or 2 year deal whatever .. but like other players, there are too many fans with too much sentiment. We aren't a team to stockpile players anymore. We need to wheel and deal. If we can, for example offload Westwood and bring in (for arguements sake) Alex Smithies for half Westwoods wage then that would be a good deal ...

There are plenty of capable keepers out there that would jump at the chance to pull on the gloves at SWFC

Edited by Hack-Abusi

Given the display of their keeper last night, the smart move for Leeds would be to make Westwood a deal he could not refuse. At the moment Bielsa is undecided whether to remain so I think we need to get the situation sorted very quickly. Without Westwood I feel our team will be considerably weaker than with him.

Doom saying on Twitter the club are activating an option in Westwood’s current deal to extend for another year.

But are leaving a new 2 year deal on the table.

Makes sense to be fair. Gives both parties abit of insurance. It also gets rid of any urgency and speculation around sorting this new deal out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Doom saying on Twitter the club are activating an option in Westwood’s current deal to extend for another year.

But are leaving a new 2 year deal on the table.

Makes sense to be fair. Gives both parties abit of insurance. It also gets rid of any urgency and speculation around sorting this new deal out. 

Yep

How on earth has it got to now and nobody has ever mentioned us having an option on his contract? Should of been a no brainier to activate that if it was something we could do.

Edited by swfcjam

7 minutes ago, swfcjam said:

How on earth has it got to now and nobody has ever mentioned us having an option on his contract? Should of been a no brainier to activate that if it was something we could do.

Does seem a bit odd. Maybe we were waiting to see if we could afford to keep him with FFP breathing down our necks? Wanna bet offer of two years is on reduced terms?

I like the idea of activating the extra year, and keeping the 2 year offer on the table, but the risk to me, is if he does not want to be here, it could affect his performance, cause unrest etc..............if he is not happy to stay, then he needs to be moved on, we need a happy, united camp to move fwd.

20 minutes ago, swfcjam said:

Even more surprising considering how often we've mocked the club's handling of contracts. Totally unexpected to think the club have included such an option, which also presumably gives us first right before he can sign with another club. Unless Westwood's agent is a dunce, the option must be on very decent pay.

28 minutes ago, andypandy said:

I like the idea of activating the extra year, and keeping the 2 year offer on the table, but the risk to me, is if he does not want to be here, it could affect his performance, cause unrest etc..............if he is not happy to stay, then he needs to be moved on, we need a happy, united camp to move fwd.

Its Westwood out of contract not Forestieri.