I picked Zidane because he was one of the very best and belongs in that very top echelon with the likes of Puskas, Pele, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Best, Maradonna, van Basten, Gascogne, both Ronaldos, Ronaldinho and Messi. Some may be surprised to see I have included Gascogne in this group but there was a year or two where he was unequalled. He could have been the greatest ever if managed correctly and supported mentally - he was around twenty years too early in terms of player wellbeing support. 

To say Beckham wasn’t one of the best ever is folly. He wasn’t good enough to sit within the group listed above but he’s was absolutely world class and probably sits in the group that would come just after and contain the likes of Dalglish, Hagi, Gullitt, Lineker, del Piero, Giggs and Cantona. There was no better right-sided player than Beckham for about 4 years when he was playing and he was at the top of his game for about 8 years; his crossing and free kicks are still probably beyond compare. That’s what made Beckham one of the greatest. 

Posted (edited)

Neither 

Nick Powell for me lol the bearded Zizou

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, scram said:

I hnestly don't get posts like this

Do you think Beckham played for the worlds biggest clubs beacuse of his media hype?

Why isn't Harry Stiles or James Corden playing for Barca then?

Beckham was an outstandong player - mainly pulled up by the ignorant because they diodn't wanna focus on the brillienace of his strengths but preferred to dwell on the weaker parts of his game

But because it's just an inane binary choice out of the 2 players then ZZ woukld be everybody's pick i guess - he is one of the best ever

But if you needed a right-sided wide player to complete the puzzle then i think DB would be the pick of most football stategists

what were the 'weaker parts' of zz's game?

10 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Close season so just summat to chat about if we could have :biggrin:

The desperate attempt of an OP trying to claw back the thread to a serious one, seen it so many times.  It's destined to head in into surreal territory or posters talking absolute bullocks, but you made a noble attempt.

:ghoulguy: you.  

Zidane was truly world class. Beckham was the most over hyped footballer we have seen. As George Best put it  

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Scholes was significantly better than Beckham.

completely agree, second behind zidane. 

Remember zidane was asked who was the best player he ever played against and im sure he said scholes

11 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

When at their prime which would you have signed for Wednesday. 

Zidane for me

Zidane every day, no question. Beckham nowhere near his quality, ever

Beckham or Zidane

:tango: wrong section anyway :ph34r:

We've got Zidane

Zinadine Zidane

I just dont think you understand

A psycho frenchman

He's better than Bannan

We've got Zinadine Zidane.

yep that works. 

• Thanks 1

Both slightly overrated imo despite being very good players at time, stats reflect this a bit compared to messi & ronaldo who score and/or assist at least every game

Zz 723 apps 143 goals (1 goal in 5) 92 assists

Db 714 apps 122 goals 143 assists

Similar stats not sure if zz took all set pieces like db did tho for extra stats.

Both not lightening quick but zz very gifted right foot, never saw him kick with left, ideal on left of front 3 these days, it was more 442 then tho so maybe would be better now stat wise! 

Db less gifted right foot but worked very hard on it and fitness too to max out his ability, more a right of midfield 3 player covering ground, never could beat a man or get you up pitch in 442 but great team player.

Great with a proper winger in giggs on left but pedestrian midfield with db on right without proper left footed winger in 442 (as england saw with so called golden generation)

To me db is almost as good as de bruyne but less injury prone, both db and zz would slot into man citys team nicely.

Zidane like luis figo/ronaldinho/coutinho/ hazard etc, less mobile but more offensive in last 3rd, more flair and more naturally gifted.

Different types of player, you need a mixture of both ideally.

More direct comparisons imo are e.g

Beckham vs gerrard vs scholes vs lampard vs de bruyne

Zidane vs ronaldinho vs luis figo vs hazard vs coutinho vs messi vs ronaldo vs maradona!

Based on better stats and teamwork however would take db by a whisker, but with all media posing etc would change mi mind and go zz lol

Comparing Beckham to Zidane is beyond risible.  ZZ along with Pele and Messi is one of the best 3 players of all time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qantas said:

Beckham all day long.

I'm making a list of posters that think Beckham was better than Zidane and in future I will ignore anything they post regarding football

Unless you are kidding your name has gone on zee list 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

Comparing Beckham to Zidane is beyond risible.  ZZ along with Pele and Messi is one of the best 3 players of all time.

Yep, Rolls Royce of a footballer 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Not having Christiano Ronaldo in your best 3 is beyond risible.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

14 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Not having Christiano Ronaldo in your best 3 is beyond risible.

Or Maradona or Ronaldinho. 

My number one has to be Maradona. The teams he played in won tournaments and championships purely because of him - they were mediocre and he was the difference. Many of the greatest players tended to have other greats playing alongside them but this wasn’t always the case for Maradona. 

Edited by shandypants

47 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Both slightly overrated imo despite being very good players at time, stats reflect this a bit compared to messi & ronaldo who score and/or assist at least every game

Zz 723 apps 143 goals (1 goal in 5) 92 assists

Db 714 apps 122 goals 143 assists

Similar stats not sure if zz took all set pieces like db did tho for extra stats.

Both not lightening quick but zz very gifted right foot, never saw him kick with left, ideal on left of front 3 these days, it was more 442 then tho so maybe would be better now stat wise! 

Db less gifted right foot but worked very hard on it and fitness too to max out his ability, more a right of midfield 3 player covering ground, never could beat a man or get you up pitch in 442 but great team player.

Great with a proper winger in giggs on left but pedestrian midfield with db on right without proper left footed winger in 442 (as england saw with so called golden generation)

To me db is almost as good as de bruyne but less injury prone, both db and zz would slot into man citys team nicely.

Zidane like luis figo/ronaldinho/coutinho/ hazard etc, less mobile but more offensive in last 3rd, more flair and more naturally gifted.

Different types of player, you need a mixture of both ideally.

More direct comparisons imo are e.g

Beckham vs gerrard vs scholes vs lampard vs de bruyne

Zidane vs ronaldinho vs luis figo vs hazard vs coutinho vs messi vs ronaldo vs maradona!

Based on better stats and teamwork however would take db by a whisker, but with all media posing etc would change mi mind and go zz lol

You never saw Zidane kick with his left?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Beckham had one of the best deliveries I've ever seen - but Zidane was a class above. He'd be the perfect player to slot into our midfield.

Beckham was outstanding at certain aspects of the game.

His crossing and set pieces were second to none.

But Zidane was a level above most footballers in his career. He got 14 red cards so some fans wouldnt have been happy with that

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nilsson said:

You never saw Zidane kick with his left?

Tap ins don't count :ph34r:

• Haha 2