Nostalgia

25 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I post this slightly maudlin, because quite honestly I think we will get promoted next season and i'm sad that my dad is not going to be able to witness this in person.

He comes to the odd game now, I sometimes move seats to the north stand for the odd game with my kid to accommodate his inability or unwillingness to sit on the kop.   His last major game was at Wembley when he struggled to see for portions of the game because he just could not stand for long periods.

This man has sat next to me for more games then I care to remember, including 1991 at the old Wembley, and twice not long afterwards against Arsenal.    

My dad's first game watching Wednesday was 1946 I believe, and you might think he was the reason I'm an owl, but both my brothers are pigs.   Both older than me.   Go figure.   Actually i'm told my grandfather would have been a footballer but for the war, he was set to be a keeper for Chesterfield before being called up to fight.

My reason for being sad should we get promoted next season?   Well, quite simply I wish my dad was well enough to witness it first hand after all he has put up with over the years.

That said, lets have it.

I'm sure he'll be delighted if we make it, even though he's not there. And though I see your point of view, you're very lucky to have been to so many games with your Dad.  My own Dad died when I was a teenager so I never had that pleasure, never even had a pint with him.  Now that's maudlin !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I'm sure he'll be delighted if we make it, even though he's not there. And though I see your point of view, you're very lucky to have been to so many games with your Dad.  My own Dad died when I was a teenager so I never had that pleasure, never even had a pint with him.  Now that's maudlin !

I never even thought of that point of view, i've never actually had a pint with my dad either as it isn't his way - BUT I do feel for what you have missed out on.

11 minutes ago, Simaniac Owl said:

I remember our greatest ever manager. 

garymegson

I kind of remember him playing for us.   I thought he was a bit over weight - as many of our players were at the time (as I remember it as a young 'un back then)