Joost Van Aken - Forgotten man

3 hours ago, Shifty Powers said:

Need to give the lad a chance.

We were all raving how good he was when he first started with us and we finally had a cultured centre half who could ping a pass. 

He then got embarrassed and humiliated by Sheff United (along with a few others) and with a long standing injury, he has never recovered both mentally and physically.

I trust Bruce whole heartily with this one to see if he thinks he is good enough, but I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss him. I’d defo give him a chance.

F*** 'culture and pinging passes', give me a couple who defend like their lives are on the line, like mick lyons did.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see what Bruce thinks of him. I think he will want him out and to bring his own people in. I don't know if he has the potential to come good, but what i do know is he cost us a goal in pretty much every game he played for us and his basic grasp of defending was terrible. He can ping 60 yard pin point passes though! WTF:

he will go down in a list of our 5 worst ever signings. 4million fee prob a minimum of 20k a week ,never ever is fit ,a younger version of abdi , getting shut is not possible is he here for 2 more years or just 1?.  the lad is incredibly skinny for a centre half saw him going down the steps last year on his way to players entrance and I was shocked how thin his legs were, no wonder he is always breaking down. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oz_owl said:

Who have we signed that Bruce didn't want?

Nobody this is silly post. Bruce made it clear he has final say on all signings. Evidence shows he would walk if this was done. CC had final say but had no idea about qualities of players required in Championship.

Nowhere near as bad as the Owlstalk super experts say he is.

Played under one of the worst coaches in our history. 

Fresh look under a capable coach. I'll trust Brucies judgement not the negative know it alls on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was offered out on loan in January (back to Holland) wanted to stay and try and get place in team. He was not even being selected for 2nd team which I think shows level of ability. 

He lacks sense o self preservation and has virtually no reaction speed. Will always get injured due to this and very poor at tackling. Would be surprised if played for us again.

He really struggled in final season in Holland and I would be shocked if we paid anyway near the figure quoted. they had been trying to flog him for 12 months.

A long time injured.

He still needs time to adapt to English football. Unfortunately for him he’s had two big setbacks which will make it harder. It’s a case of cut our losses in my opinion. What I saw of him he was ok on the ball but very weak for a defender. Positional sense poor too. 

Guest Ash76
5 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Did they try to sweep him under the carpet then regarding his injury ?:Sid:

24" Stiff Broom Complete by CleaningSupplies4U

A shame we can't try this with him

Those saying he should be given a chance are smoking something pretty exotic.

Within a few.minutes of his much lauded debut it was very clear he had huge issues with his defensive footwork. He cannot shift body momentum properly. I have never seen a centre back at this level with that big a problem.

I will be amazed if he plays for us again. Will need to move to the usa or middle East to have a career 

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

F*** 'culture and pinging passes', give me a couple who defend like their lives are on the line, like mick lyons did.

Like Palmer, Lees and Thorniley do, out and out defenders

Carlos wanted someone in the back four comfortable on the ball and able to pick a pass out we searched 200+ central  defenders and found VanAbdi. 

Yes the kid isn't bad on the ball. 

Yes he may be of use in a back 5.

(something Carlos wouldn't do) 

Can he do the first job he needs to do DEFEND!!, I'm still unsure. 

He turns like an oil tanker.

Has the agility of a brick. 

If Bruce can teach him some anticipation & awereness then I'd definitely give him another go, but only in the centre of a back 5 where his current weakness arnt going to be quite as exposed. 

JVA is just poor by anyones standards.

Theres not a coach alive that will teach that kid to defend,because he simply hasnt got ANY of the tools needed.

Hopefully we can find some dutch club mad enough to take him off our hands,or CC gets a job at a crap club in holland,otherwise hel be the new Abdi.

7 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Probably some talent in there but has been managed poorly by both CC and JL.

..not the first to suffer here in this fashion and probably not the last,  though I have some confidence Bruce will be able to buck the trend.

how was he poorly managed by jos?...…..the bloke was out injured when jos arrived and when finally fit got injured in his second game back and never been seen again …...