Joost Van Aken - Forgotten man

Guest Ash76

Could actually be one of those that works out in time but first he needs to find his balls and develop a bit more physically. I saw him at the training ground a few weeks ago and had he not been moving i'd have thought he was a sweeping brush 

1 hour ago, Sykes said:

May well have been the cause of our 2 - 4 loss to pigs. Just for that show of non-defending he shouldn't see the first team.

I've never rated him, I think we can do better. Cut our losses and sell.

Collective responsibility springs to mind. If I were to look anywhere I would be looking at left back. However, when LJ rammed in the leveller I saw the colour and the noise drain from the blunts end. There wasn't a person in the ground thought the Blades would get out of the ground alive. The mistake at Left back in the very next minute probably turned history on its head that day.

• Thanks 1

There's no way we'll have paid any near the amount was stated when he signed. 

Those deals are almost always weighted by appearance clauses and success bonuses. 

Van Aken won't have triggered any appearance clauses nor success bonuses during his time with us. 

Which might make it slightly easier to recoup the majority of what we've actually paid for him. 

25 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Could actually be one of those that works out in time but first he needs to find his balls and develop a bit more physically. I saw him at the training ground a few weeks ago and had he not been moving i'd have thought he was a sweeping brush 

Did they try to sweep him under the carpet then regarding his injury ?:Sid:

24" Stiff Broom Complete by CleaningSupplies4U

2 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Do any of us know what's happening with him?

From my own knowledge, he had a couple of injuries, we got a few updates about his comeback for the under 23's when Jos was here. Then in March Bruce confirmed he's out for the season.

Are we classing him as a right off now? Or could he become the defender we thought he was under Bruce?

Rumours when we signed him, were that we paid 3.5/4.5 million for him.

Is he going to be another waste?

Van Akens Stats:

2017/18 - Played 14
2018/19 - Played 1

Picture1.png

he was the 1 picked out of 500 wasn't he ?

From our current squad I’d rate him second choice at left centre back behind Thorniley who has never let us down. If/when Borner arrives he’ll likely be third choice unless Bruce can work his magic like he has with the much improved Palmer.

Be a tall order though as he is very left footed and seem to lack the physicallity for Championship football.

We're not exactly flush on centre halves at the moment so I'd keep him, give him a pre season and see what it's looking like in August. If we've somehow managed to get Hector back, and either Borner or someone like Barbet on free transfers, we'd be up to 5 with Lees and Thorniley, plus Iorfa who could play there. So that would free up Van Aken to leave or maybe send Thorniley out on loan for a bit.

Open to giving the guy a chance and to see what he's like under Bruce. I think the whole defence suffered un Dross due to the tactics. 
Still think whoever we get to replace Hector is going to be inferior, need to get him back IF the price is right.

I agree with those saying to give Van Aken a chance.  

If we have spent a good amount of money on him , then it makes sense to get him back up and running and see what he can do.  

I'm sure under Bruce, Joost could very well thrive for us.