Lee Gregory.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He can finish, my feeling is, he doesn’t add enough to our offensive game, his all round game is poor. Can we carry a player like that Having said that, used in the same way as Norwich used him, then he can be a useful asset

Rhodes is a box player, always has been. Don't expect much outside. That's where others come into play. Our midfield has never had the right blend. 

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

was just going to post same, he would have gone to pigs too if they didn't go up and he no doubt would have bagged 25 a season for them too. 

One of the lads I play five a side with knows Gregory's family, we tried to sign him in the summer following the playoff final, pigs also had an offer amongst couple of other clubs,however their wage offer was poor. He was very close to actually signing but his dad ( a massive piggy fan) was in his ear big time about it so nothing materialised.

He actually owns one of those apartments where the old Dialhouse club was up Wisewood.

33 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Plenty of none scoring forwards. No 20 goals a season ones.

Nice to have a 20 goal man but seen as they cost upwards of 12 million quid that we don't have then I think a front 3 of fletch joao and FF if played on regular basis are capable of 40-45 goals between them given some decent service

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

I believe we have all the strikers we need it's the ones providing the ammo that we are short on .  

In terms of numbers yes we do, and all of them have different attributes, and can score goals at this level. We can certainly improve the service, but I’m still not sure we can find the right blend.

Lets look at things. If Bruce wants to replicate the system he used at Villa, it will be a mobile single striker, flanked by two wide players, generally one winger, and a striker on the other flank. Obviously your main threat is your lone striker, but you get goals from the flanks as well. We have the players who can operate in those wide areas, the winger Reach, plus hopefully we sign an alternative. In that system, Forestieri or Joao could operate as the wide attacker, and both are capable of delivering 25 goals between them. The big problem, if Bruce wants to play that system, or any other that operates with a single striker, is we don’t have anyone who can play that central striker role. Neither Fletcher or Nuhiu can run in behind, essential for a single striker, and I also doubt they would be good for 25 goals a season. Rhodes and Winnall would not thrive in such a system

If the manager decides to operate a 4-4-2 system, then potentially Rhodes comes into play. However, were we to pair him with a central striker, Fletcher or Nuhiu, then we’d probably have the slowest strike pairing in the league. I’m sure there will be people on here remembering when Rhodes was paired with such a striker, he was prolific in this league. The problem is, the game has moved on now Back then, a pairing of Rhodes and Fletcher would have been the dream ticket, even I might have been salivating at the prospect of Wednesday lining up like that. Nowadays though, that lack of pace and mobility, will hold us back. 

Could Rhodes thrive with a quicker more mobile version of Fletcher alongside? Maybe, he’d certainly gain more space 

So, the key to making either system work, is a quick mobile centre forward, and despite having strikers aplenty, we don’t have one of those. If we can trade Hooper, Matias, Winnall, and one of Fletcher or Nuhiu, for a striker with that profile, then we have the strikers to make both systems work Without such a player, we’re just kidding ourselves that we have enough

Edited by gurujuan

It was only a year or so ago that Millwall turned down decent money for him.

Obviously not had a great season as nobody offered any money in January and Millwall were seemingly happy to run his contract down.

Certainly not high up on our priority list. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

In terms of numbers yes we do, and all of them have different attributes, and can score goals at this level. We can certainly improve the service, but I’m still not sure we can find the right blend.

Lets look at things. If Bruce wants to replicate the system he used at Villa, it will be a mobile single striker, flanked by two wide players, generally one winger, and a striker on the other flank. Obviously your main threat is your lone striker, but you get goals from the flanks as well. We have the players who can operate in those wide areas, the winger Reach, plus hopefully we sign an alternative. In that system, Forestieri or Joao could operate as the wide attacker, and both are capable of delivering 25 goals between them. The big problem, if Bruce wants to play that system, or any other that operates with a single striker, is we don’t have anyone who can play that central striker role. Neither Fletcher or Nuhiu can run in behind, essential for a single striker, and I also doubt they would be good for 25 goals a season. Rhodes and Winnall would not thrive in such a system

If the manager decides to operate a 4-4-2 system, then potentially Rhodes comes into play. However, were we to pair him with a central striker, Fletcher or Nuhiu, then we’d probably have the slowest strike pairing in the league. I’m sure there will be people on here remembering when Rhodes was paired with such a striker, he was prolific in this league. The problem is, the game has moved on now Back then, a pairing of Rhodes and Fletcher would have been the dream ticket, even I might have been salivating at the prospect of Wednesday lining up like that. Nowadays though, that lack of pace and mobility, will hold us back. 

Could Rhodes thrive with a quicker more mobile version of Fletcher alongside? Maybe, he’d certainly gain more space 

So, the key to making either system work, is a quick mobile centre forward, and despite having strikers aplenty, we don’t have one of those. If we can trade Hooper, Matias, Winnall, and one of Fletcher or Nuhiu, for a striker with that profile, then we have the strikers to make both systems work Without such a player, we’re just kidding ourselves that we have enough

Our run since mid December was play off form and don't see any reason why that can't be carried forward at the start of next season .....if it's worked for the last 23 games why wouldn't it work for the next 23

Although we ended up 12th, but yes our form was good, although we were hardly prolific during that period. Better creative options might see an improvement, but doubts remain about the blend of our attacking options As I suggest, the recruitment of one particular type of forward, suddenly brings most of the remaining options into play

5 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

It was only a year or so ago that Millwall turned down decent money for him.

Obviously not had a great season as nobody offered any money in January and Millwall were seemingly happy to run his contract down.

Certainly not high up on our priority list. 

Top scorer and player of season got a feeling the leaving part was his decision. 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Top scorer and player of season got a feeling the leaving part was his decision. 

It's no secret he wants to move back up North.

But Millwall didn't offer new terms.

38 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Millwall cant compete with parachute payment Stoke. 

Course they can't. And let's be fair he's 30 years old and this will probably be his last big payday, 15-20k a week - 3 year deal - decent signing on fee too?

And moving closer to his family up north.

28 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Course they can't. And let's be fair he's 30 years old and this will probably be his last big payday, 15-20k a week - 3 year deal - decent signing on fee too?

And moving closer to his family up north.

Yeah agree to me as a free transfer he aint that big a risk. Consistent record 3 years left in him will score goals. Pity he's a pig. Sure there will be more attractive players on list but at what cost and how consistent. Sure SB knows far more than any of us.