7 more leave...

The near-total lack of loan action for ANY of these lads who’ve never even been close to a sniff of the match day subs bench speaks volumes.

The question is, about what - us over the past 3yrs, or them? I know which would surprise me least. 

8 hours ago, room0035 said:

This really does make playing Dan Wallis over Joe Wildsmith for most of the season in the under 23's seem an ever stranger decision.

I do hope there is some master plan to bring players through as this is going to leave the development squad under strength and light on numbers. If we learnt anything from Jos the dross it was don't pick players before they are ready, the under 18's have done very well this year but for some the move up to the under 23's may be too soon.

Perhaps we have a manager confident enough in his own ability to judge horse flesh, he thinks they will amount to nowt. 

13 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We have signed 10 second year scholars on pro contracts.

They are not eligible for the Under 18’s next year.  They’ll all turn 19 next season.

If they are not good enough for the under 23 League at 19 they are unlikely to ever be good enough for The Championship.

Not signed 10.  There was only 8.

The 7 who have signed are Waldock, Render, Grant, O'Brien, Dawodu, Shaw and Rice.  Hammoud released.

On 08/05/2019 at 14:29, gurujuan said:

We have an obligation to fulfil our fixtures at U23 level, so need a squad of at least 16 players, and with only 8 promoted from the U18’s, we need to either retain some, or recruit from outside

Do what most clubs do and promote players to older age groups. 

It's pretty normal for an u23 team to contain many u18 and even u16 players.

We had an old u18 team last year with the amount of 2nd years regularly playing- it might have helped us win a bauble but not sure it has done much for player development

And that's the reason for having an academy

5 minutes ago, scram said:

We had an old u18 team last year with the amount of 2nd years regularly playing- it might have helped us win a bauble but not sure it has done much for player development

Good point.  It may help winning trophies at Academy level but you would like to see the second years having had a lot more experience at U23 level.  The likes of Dawodu, Rice, O'Brien have been deemed good enough for pro contracts but have barely played a game at U23 level yet. A certain other club in this area plays first year scholars regularly at U23 level and U16's regular at U18 level. We had too many young pros with no chance of the first team stopping U18s develop. The likes of Clarke and O'Grady were on the payroll but struggling to make the U23's despite being 3rd year professionals.  The likes of these should have been out on loan to non league and the best U18s playing regular for the U23's.  I don't think we get it right yet.

1 hour ago, scram said:

True, and it looks as if the priority was chasing that trophy Think most watchers of the U23s knew that most of the squad would not be retained 2 or 3 months ago, and that there were probably better players in the U18s  It’s difficult though, as season was coming to an end, and the group were in with an opportunity of winning something, would it have been fair to dismantle the side at such a crucial part of their season? I know that’s not the role of the academy, but I can see the dilemma

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/oct/11/next-generation-2018-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Hammoud first made the headlines in 2016 when, at the age of 15 years and four months, he became the second-youngest player to feature in the Bulgarian top flight. Born to a Lebanese father and Bulgarian mother, he provided an assist on his debut for Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the derby against Botev. Before joining Sheffield Wednesday’s academy in 2017, Hammoud had trials with Arsenal and Stoke City. Pace and stamina - he offered to play in three games for three Lokomotiv youth teams in one day - are two key weapons. He adores Lionel Messi and once said that his Manchester United-supporting grandma is the reason he fell in love with football. Metodi Shumanov 
Watch Eyad Hammoud in action

Makes the Hamoud one seem odd. Tapped up by Real Madrid?

Edited by rikowl

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

True, and it looks as if the priority was chasing that trophy Think most watchers of the U23s knew that most of the squad would not be retained 2 or 3 months ago, and that there were probably better players in the U18s  It’s difficult though, as season was coming to an end, and the group were in with an opportunity of winning something, would it have been fair to dismantle the side at such a crucial part of their season? I know that’s not the role of the academy, but I can see the dilemma

I don't think it is a dilemma tbh

Our u18's were an older group regularly going up against other teams who were younger - because those clubs promote their players to challenge and stress them (in the right way!)

It's kinda the main reason that league tables in the academy were abolished below u18 level some years ago - some people argued it was anti-competitive but all i'd say is those people obviously don't watch academy football because that is far from the case. The reason to abolish the tables was to remove the onus from the result and allow it to be more focused on development.

West ham got relegated from the top tier of Cat 1 at u23 level - but had 5 academy first team debuts this season (through choice not necessity)

There are regionalised cup comptetitions starting to creep back in at younger age group levels 

I think there's a very strong argument to abolish u18 and u23 national leagues - play limited regionalsed and/or group games - with maybe a national weekend of tournament to round it off in say January - then organised league-style fixtures end and the clubs can design their own fixture list based on their own needs until the end of a more formal season

I'd go even further tbh and abandon u23's - go back to 3 year scholarships with u17 and u19's - with the latter allowed up to 3 overage outfield and a GK

• Like 2

On 08/05/2019 at 12:34, room0035 said:

This really does make playing Dan Wallis over Joe Wildsmith for most of the season in the under 23's seem an ever stranger decision.

I do hope there is some master plan to bring players through as this is going to leave the development squad under strength and light on numbers. If we learnt anything from Jos the dross it was don't pick players before they are ready, the under 18's have done very well this year but for some the move up to the under 23's may be too soon.

Joe needed a loan move to Barnsley or one or the better league 1 sides last season, we had Wallis and mcCulloch ( sorry for spelling) as 2 keepers for the under 23s Joe needs to go out on loan and play games to improve. 

9 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Joe needed a loan move to Barnsley or one or the better league 1 sides last season, we had Wallis and mcCulloch ( sorry for spelling) as 2 keepers for the under 23s Joe needs to go out on loan and play games to improve. 

He has done nothing to suggest he is good enough for League One, let alone one of the better clubs.

Barnsley have a far better goalkeeper than Joe Wildsmith that was voted by his fellow professionals into the League One team of the year.

18 hours ago, rikowl said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/oct/11/next-generation-2018-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Hammoud first made the headlines in 2016 when, at the age of 15 years and four months, he became the second-youngest player to feature in the Bulgarian top flight. Born to a Lebanese father and Bulgarian mother, he provided an assist on his debut for Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the derby against Botev. Before joining Sheffield Wednesday’s academy in 2017, Hammoud had trials with Arsenal and Stoke City. Pace and stamina - he offered to play in three games for three Lokomotiv youth teams in one day - are two key weapons. He adores Lionel Messi and once said that his Manchester United-supporting grandma is the reason he fell in love with football. Metodi Shumanov 
Watch Eyad Hammoud in action

Makes the Hamoud one seem odd. Tapped up by Real Madrid?

It was put forward by a Bulgarian journalist. Wouldn’t read to much into that article.

Nevertheless, the few times I’ve seen Hammoud I really thought he was good. Does seem a strange one considering everyone else has been retained.