Yoann Barbet

Just now, gurujuan said:

When we stopped weeing about with three at the back, yes. He’s a decent defender, in a four, and next to someone who’s good in the air Never play him on the left of a pair though

Agree completely, he's one of the better defenders at this level, people thinking we can afford to upgrade on Lees are going to be disappointed, I think we just need more competition and bodies to play centre back, at the minute we only have Lees and Thorniley contracted, Hector returning would be great, and if we got someone like Barbet on a free to push the starting 11 we'd be in a good position. I get the feeling Iorfa might be moving to centre half next season depending on what happens with Hector, that will leave the door open for one of Brucies right hand men, Hutton/Elmo to come in at right back. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Agree completely, he's one of the better defenders at this level, people thinking we can afford to upgrade on Lees are going to be disappointed, I think we just need more competition and bodies to play centre back, at the minute we only have Lees and Thorniley contracted, Hector returning would be great, and if we got someone like Barbet on a free to push the starting 11 we'd be in a good position. I get the feeling Iorfa might be moving to centre half next season depending on what happens with Hector, that will leave the door open for one of Brucies right hand men, Hutton/Elmo to come in at right back. 

That last sentence scares the crap out of me

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Seemed to be highly thought of at Brentford. How come he has been released does anyone know ?

Josh McEachran who has been released is a good age and was very highly thought of a couple of year back. He is one id look at.

Remember seeing that Josh Mceachran a few years ago and thought he looked a good young player breaking through. Not sure what he's been like last couple of seasons but looked full of potential then. 

4 hours ago, prowl said:

You don't get much more loyal than Palmer and he's got dogs abuse for it for most of his career. Only now is he getting recognised as a decent player.

(Yes, I do remember he was POTY a few seasons ago.)

I'm not criticising Palmer, he's been a steady player, improved vastly this season and seems a genuine bloke but if someone doubled his wages he' be gone. 

9 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Just been released by Brentford. Good be a great signing on a free, especially if we’re strapped for cash this summer. We could have Less and Hector as main cbs. And then Barbet and Thorniley as Backup.

Not being funny but we have a manager better placed than anybody on here to make these decisions. Why not wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Not being funny but we have a manager better placed than anybody on here to make these decisions. Why not wait and see. 

We bought Rhodes.

On a more sensible note.. it's a Wednesday forum where we all have a chance to stick our oar in.

You "wait and see"..I'm going to lap up the wild speculation and silly talk.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Remember seeing that Josh Mceachran a few years ago and thought he looked a good young player breaking through. Not sure what he's been like last couple of seasons but looked full of potential then. 

TBF players with potential are in their teens, not in their mid 20's.

The guys 26 and being released by a club that finished one place above us on the same points.

Is it really the way forward?  I'm sure SB has a better angle on it than anyone of us on here.

12 hours ago, swfcjack27 said:

Decent championship defender who’s tidy on the ball, would be a good signing for free. 

We'll be signing far better We ant brought Bruce in for players like this. Reserved list were out ten mins after last whistle. We not flipping about.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

We'll be signing far better We ant brought Bruce in for players like this. Reserved list were out ten mins after last whistle. We not flipping about.

Usually its at least a week after the last game . 

10 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Forum be pretty quiet if everyone did that wouldn’t it? 

The players we bring in depend on the system Bruce wants to play. Take Lees for example, Leeds fans said he wasn’t good enough when they released him and he turned out to be a great free transfer.

Sometimes for unknown reasons it doesn’t work out for a player at a particular club. Its why having a good back room team and manager in place is so important to spot potential and avoid bringing in the wrong sort of player for the team, like Rhodes. Great player, when you play a system that suits his play, but a complete passenger the rest of the time.

More likely to sign Odubajo I reckon who's also been released and played under Bruce at Hull (and absolutely destroyed us with one of the best RB performances I've seen in years). He's someone I've been a big fan of for years, only 25, did have a serious knee injury which is why he left Hull but he seems recovered and played 37 times last year apparently for Brentford. According to Iorfa he's a CB and I think he's probably better suited to that role anyway, so he could be Hector's replacement there or maybe even a back three again, it's a good formation when you actually have 3 decent CB's with two of them being decently mobile and comfortable on the ball (imagine Hector and Iorfa either side of Lees, yes please!).

Edited by uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ElsecarOwl said:

TBF players with potential are in their teens, not in their mid 20's.

The guys 26 and being released by a club that finished one place above us on the same points.

Is it really the way forward?  I'm sure SB has a better angle on it than anyone of us on here.

Did you learn nothing from the bunch of players that fat tail across the city somehow turned into a team?