84 Today !

A great manager who restored pride in our great club which started with the cup replays. For those who aren't old enough to remember, in those days cup ties were decided by numerous replays until one team won with second and subsequent replays either played at one or other home ground decided by the throw of a coin or, if one team didn't agree to that, at a neutral ground. After, the draw at Highbury, Jack didn't want to take the chance of losing the throw and playing another game at Highbury (with the guaranteed payday) but wanted to play at a neutral ground as he felt that it would give us a better chance of winning. And he was so nearly right as well....and we made more money than we would have if we'd played at either S6 or Highbury and lost. The money made funding the purchase of Curran and the rest is history. None of us will ever forget the BDM and that promotion season.

I had the privilege of meeting him in the mid '80's and he clearly looked back on his time with us very fondly.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My first manager.

Had nothing to compare him to at the time but i was spellbound as a youth when I'd visit the Middlewood training ground to watch him talking to the players as they played and trained.

I even got spoken to and patted on the head.

Ain't washed my hair since. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bramhall Owl said:

A great manager who restored pride in our great club which started with the cup replays. For those who aren't old enough to remember, in those days cup ties were decided by numerous replays until one team won with second and subsequent replays either played at one or other home ground decided by the throw of a coin or, if one team didn't agree to that, at a neutral ground. After, the draw at Highbury, Jack didn't want to take the chance of losing the throw and playing another game at Highbury (with the guaranteed payday) but wanted to play at a neutral ground as he felt that it would give us a better chance of winning. And he was so nearly right as well....and we made more money than we would have if we'd played at either S6 or Highbury and lost. The money made funding the purchase of Curran and the rest is history. None of us will ever forget the BDM and that promotion season.

I had the privilege of meeting him in the mid '80's and he clearly looked back on his time with us very fondly.

That’s just not true

the only reason we played at Filbert Street was due to the weather. We were in the middle of a particularly harsh winter and Very few if any grounds had under soil heating. Filbert Street however had a cover that was somehow blown up to make a bubble and protect the pitch from frost and therefore a decision was made to play the 2nd replay and on there

• Like 2

For me for his services to football should have been Sir Jack Charlton by know when you look at some of the ones who get knighted and a true gent and man of the game such as big Jack not being. 

Remember the year after the Oldham riot, me and mi mate were in the ground pretty early (Boundry Park) and big Jack was having a walk around the pitch, he stopped and signed one of mi mates Adidas Samba, when signed he threw it back over the fence and in his stern voice said " behave yourselves today "....we did.

• Like 3

What a time to be a Wednesdayite that was.  No-nonsense bloke who understood football and fans. Getting Curran to come here was a masterstroke.  A lot of the time the football was n't great but I didn't care. Travelling away with hordes of Wednesdayites knowing the team would give 100% was brilliant. I was ecstatic when he agreed to come, again when he signed TC, then when he signed Andy McCullough I thought Who?  Turned out to be a favourite, proper old fashioned centre forward. Some great memories, the 78-79 Cup run when we played 9 games and went out in the third round ! The 3-0 win at Barnsley on the opening day, promotion at Blackburn and the two iconic games v United.

He came so close to taking us back up.

Last time I saw him was the Newcastle game when he added his signature to the others on my photo of Bobby Moore holding the world cup. Jack should definitely have got the England job at some point.

Happy Birthday Jack, thanks for the memories.