Of no great importance at all - Where is it?

On 06/05/2019 at 20:18, Weshallovercome said:

I'm on tenterhooks here, where's the last bit with the answer?!

(tenterhooks never looks right does it......or feels right for that matter)

On 06/05/2019 at 20:27, 31Dec1966 said:

Despite most people saying tenDer hooks these days tenterhooks is, in fact correct and so, to me feels right.

On 06/05/2019 at 23:03, Weshallovercome said:

I do know why it's tenterhooks, but even so I still tend to say tenderhooks

That's nowt, i never knew what my Mum was on about when she would walk into my bedroom and say it looks like a bombsytit.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

What on earth is a Bombsytit Pulsers?!!!

:tango:

I think she meant "it looks like a bomb's hit it" but i didn't have a friggin' clue at the time.

I used to ignore a lot of unanswered questions as a kid.

Might be why i relate to Alan Partridge so much 

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I think she meant "it looks like a bomb's hit it" but i didn't have a friggin' clue at the time.

I used to ignore a lot of unanswered questions as a kid.

Might be why i relate to Alan Partridge so much 

:ph34r:

Bloody hell mate sorry 

I thought you were struggling to spell Bombsite !!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Bloody hell mate sorry 

I thought you were struggling to spell Bombsite !!!!

Not at all mate, shpelling is one of my frong poynts.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

So, is the river still the official boundary between Wadsley Bridge and Hillsborough/Owlerton?

And where's the boundary between Hillsborough and Owlerton?

I was once told that Owlerton stadium is actually in Hillsborough whilst Hillsborough stadium is really in Owlerton... soemthing to do with each being on different sides of the River Don.

However, in describing the location of the ground, Wadsley Bridge would probably be more technically correct as the original Wadsley Bridge, part of the old road from Wadsley to Ecclesfield, is just a few yards from the Kop end of the stadium.

This name thingy is also related to another thingy and this one really winds me up...

Radio presenters (usually on TalkShort) who pronounce "Owlerton" as "Owl-erton" instead of the correct pronounciation of "O-ler-t'n". And, lazy journalists as they usually are, they then waffle on about "that's why they are called the Owls".

Firstly, the "Owl" in "Owlerton" refers to the "Owler" (or old English for an alder tree) - nothing to do with an owl - and, secondly, I think it was a supporter or player called Robertson who gifted Wednesday an owl mascot a few years after the move to Hillsborough. The mascot was placed in a room under the stand and Wednesday then went on to win their next four games and, in true "Life of Brian" superstitious tradition, the owl became a sign that we should all follow, hence the nickname "The Owls". I'm pretty sure that this is in Keith Farnsworth's "Wednesday" book and/or maybe the "Hundred Years at Hillsborough" book.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:20, dunsbyowl said:

A 1920 conundrum - Thought this may be of some interest -     if only this was all we had to worry about !

Confused?

1920a.jpeg.2e2f8d7508bc32d0ab82ed916c4d8a73.jpeg1920b.jpeg.919bc9f65bf44ffdfdef03cc5e77ce7d.jpeg

1920c.jpeg.df704a58940979000b5fa0e73862ad16.jpeg

1920d.jpeg.2947dc5b5cb745cd7a99310a557fc13e.jpeg

We're SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY, we'll call it what we want FFS lol 

11 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I was once told that Owlerton stadium is actually in Hillsborough whilst Hillsborough stadium is really in Owlerton... soemthing to do with each being on different sides of the River Don.

However, in describing the location of the ground, Wadsley Bridge would probably be more technically correct as the original Wadsley Bridge, part of the old road from Wadsley to Ecclesfield, is just a few yards from the Kop end of the stadium.

This name thingy is also related to another thingy and this one really winds me up...

Radio presenters (usually on TalkShort) who pronounce "Owlerton" as "Owl-erton" instead of the correct pronounciation of "O-ler-t'n". And, lazy journalists as they usually are, they then waffle on about "that's why they are called the Owls".

Firstly, the "Owl" in "Owlerton" refers to the "Owler" (or old English for an alder tree) - nothing to do with an owl - and, secondly, I think it was a supporter or player called Robertson who gifted Wednesday an owl mascot a few years after the move to Hillsborough. The mascot was placed in a room under the stand and Wednesday then went on to win their next four games and, in true "Life of Brian" superstitious tradition, the owl became a sign that we should all follow, hence the nickname "The Owls". I'm pretty sure that this is in Keith Farnsworth's "Wednesday" book and/or maybe the "Hundred Years at Hillsborough" book.

hi this is the player George Robertson with the Owl - this was some time after 1909.post-5344-1229856297_thumb.thumb.jpg.88b997ed2e0e948f0ae8de17f29b959c.jpg