The Current 1st Team Squad

3 hours ago, Royal_D said:

2 completely different players, what I do think is that Joao is the more saleable asset and we need some room for manoeuvre 

Rhodes I’m meh about, I don’t particularly buy into the ‘he would score 30+ with two rapid wingers’ club, I think it’s all about confidence with him but he’s not been here under Steve Bruce and I think the gaffer will fancy his chances of getting him firing.

Quick one on Rhodes at Norwich for people to think about .. his stats this season in a championship winning side where he’s hardly had a sniff are 30 App 9 goals ! 1 less than Joao who’s had 7 more starts than him 

Joao reminds me a bit of Balotelli. 

One week he is easily the best player at the club.

And the next it's like it's to differcult for him to even run.

16 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Keiren Westwood

Cameron Dawson Loan out 

Joe Wildsmith Loan out / sell

Tom Lees

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer

Jordan Thorniley Sell

Matt Penney Sell / Loan

Morgan Fox Sell

Joost Van Aken Release

Ashley Baker Release

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson

Kieran Lee

Adam Reach 

Joey Pelupessey Sell 

Steven Fletcher

Fernando Forestieri

Atdhe Nuhiu Sell

Jordan Rhodes Loan out / sell

Lucas Joao 

Sam Winnall Sell 

I’d try and get rid of anyone who doesn’t have the required quality for this level

26 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He wasn’t supposed to be the primary marksman either.

Fletcher will be ok if we get some goalscorers around him and to be fair he does score his fair share aswell.

Dont expect Bruce to be looking to replace him.

29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Fletcher will be ok if we get some goalscorers around him and to be fair he does score his fair share aswell.

Dont expect Bruce to be looking to replace him.

Can’t see anyone taking over his contract in the final year. Good as he’s been this year, it’s not worth the £££ we’re laying out for him 

17 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Keiren Westwood

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith Loan out

Tom Lees

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer

Jordan Thorniley

Matt Penney

Morgan Fox Sell

Joost Van Aken Sell

Ashley Baker Sell

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson

Kieran Lee

Adam Reach 

Joey Pelupessey Sell

Steven Fletcher

Fernando Forestieri Possibly sell

Atdhe Nuhiu

Jordan Rhodes

Lucas Joao Sell 

Sam Winnall Sell 

We have 22 first team players. I think we should sell the ones highlighted if possible. However, with Bruce stating that he wants 5-6 players in I think we'll probably only offload the 2-3 of those which would potentially generate the most money. E.g Joao, Winnall, Forestieri. 

We are going to need to bring in players that are ready to roll straight away and have the pace and physicality to compete week in week out at this level. We really need to strengthen the centre back, wing back, wingers and centre midfield positions and I'd love to have a pacy striker in that offers something different. 

I like what you've proposed there with the strikers, sell anyone with pace, youth, flair and keep the older, slower crap ones. 

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Pedestrian

18 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Steven Fletcher

Fernando Forestieri Possibly sell

Atdhe Nuhiu

Jordan Rhodes

Lucas Joao Sell 

Sam Winnall Sell 

I agree that we need to sell 2/6 strikers.

The annoying thing is that those on the biggest wages - Rhodes and Fletcher - will be hardest to shift which means we might have to sell the younger players taking up less wages (Joao and Nuhiu) which isn't the better long term interests of the club and would leave you with a foursome of strikers around 30 and not likely to all be fit for 40 games. 

Keiren Westwood hope he signs a new deal 

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith Loan out

Assuming Westwood stays, GK dept looks ok

Tom Lees

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer worth retaining as a squad player to compete with Iorfa

Jordan Thorniley Squad player, assuming we can get Hector or a replacement

Matt Penney Jury is out, potentially better back up at LB than Fox

Morgan Fox Sell, time to move on

Joost Van Aken Sell if we can, loan more likely

Ashley Baker Nominal value, not really established himself, loan to see out his contract

Need a CB (preferable Hector) and a first choice LB minimum.

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson good option for 20 games a season, to see out his contract, unless offer received.

Kieran Lee needs to prove fitness on a short term deal

Adam Reach 

Joey Pelupessey squad player and presumably cheap, can do a job if needed

Needs major attention, we dont really have a midfield. Urgently needs some additional pace, power, mobility and creativity. Has to be our focus this summer.

Steven Fletcher

Fernando Forestieri offers will be considered I think

Atdhe Nuhiu think this will be the year he is moved on, probably abroad

Jordan Rhodes think were hoping Norwich take him, if not cant see him staying

Lucas Joao We're open to offers, a few might be interested if were realistic on the fee

Sam Winnall Seems he will be on his way

Depending who stays/goes will dictate recruitment. Needs some genuine pace adding and likely to be a 1 or 2 out /1 in scenario.

Bruce has the core of a good team, spine in tact and some opportunity to reshape the squad. Still think max allowance of 5 loans incoming, with maybe 3 or 4 permanent signings, depending who we sell. Plenty of reason for optimism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I like what you've proposed there with the strikers, sell anyone with pace, youth, flair and keep the older, slower crap ones. 

Like i stated though. The 6 players coming in need to have those attributes. So theyd be the ones replacing. Id happily keep Joao and sell Rhodes as well. I just think one of them needs to go and we need to bring in some money. 

As it stands …

Goalkeepers

Current

Westwood – keep everything crossed he re-signs and we can keep him as number 1

Dawson/Wildsmith – loan one of them out if possible, the youth team keeper Wallis is meant to be very good and should be adequate as third choice and in case of keepers you’ve got emergency loan and recall where necessary.

Targets

Don’t need to sign anyone new

Full backs

Current

Palmer/Iorfa – should be good enough to cover the right back slot

Penney – has a lot of potential but you’d want a recognised first choice ahead of him

Baker/Fox – Not good enough, move on if at all possible

Targets

So, we need to sign a first choice left back.  Hard to tell how good Aschraff Lazaar was on loan as injured a lot but might be fine with a full pre-season.  Jake Bidwell is out of contract at QPR and Luke Garbutt might be a loan option from Everton.

Centre backs

Current

Lees – Obviously keep unless we get a huge bid

Thorniley – Wouldn’t be first choice but a great squad player

Van Aken – Unless Bruce really is a miracle worker

Hutchinson – Still think he’s a natural CB and playing him here reduces his injuries and cards as well

Targets

So, we need to sign 1-2 centre backs.  Michael Hector is obviously first choice if we can get him.  I’d also look at potential loans for Grant Hanley (not played much for Norwich this season), Ashley Williams and Axel Tuanzebe.  On a free could there be a sentimental return for Gary Cahill?

Centre midfielders

Current

Hutchinson/Bannan/Pelupessy/Lee – On the face of it a good balance and cover in the middle with Reach also able to fill in. But Lee/Hutch probably can’t be relied upon for a full season.

Targets

Probably lack a bit of physicality in here.  Mo Diame on loan from Newcastle would be ideal.  Nick Powell is out of contract at Wigan and if we could get him as a number ten would give us a lot more options in how to play.

Wingers

Current

Reach – Only real option but also our most sellable asset if we do need to raise funds.

Targets

Will be an area where we need lots of activity, unless Bruce is tempted to use 3-5-2 as he has done before with Hull City and Birmingham and might suit us.  Potential loan winger targets would include Rolando Aarons, Patrick Roberts, Yannick Bolasie.  Could we also make a bid for Marcus Maddison at Peterborough?

Strikers

Current

Fletcher/Forestieri/Nuhiu/Joao/Rhodes/Winnall – All have their strengths but we probably still need to get shot of 2/6.  The annoying thing is that those on the biggest wages - Rhodes and Fletcher - will be hardest to shift which means we might have to sell the younger players taking up less wages (Joao and Nuhiu) which isn't the better long term interests of the club and would leave you with a foursome of strikers around 30 and not likely to all be fit for 40 games.  Only positive is if we can actually get fees for any of them.

Targets

In this area of the team will probably be more of a question of moving on, but someone up top with genuine pace is still something we’re lacking and should be considered if we can sell 2-3 of our forwards.

19 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Keiren Westwood

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith Loan out

Tom Lees

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer

Jordan Thorniley

Matt Penney

Morgan Fox  Even the football School for the Blind wouldn’t buy him

Joost Van aken sell What a waste of money

Ashley Baker sell

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson Like Sam But realistically he’s lucky to Put five games together keep him as a super sub

Kieran Lee

Adam Reach 

Joey Pelupessey 

I would’ve said sell but now I think he is improving

Steven Fletcher Great player in this time bit past it now sell

Fernando  Plays for him self and

himself only not a team player sell 

Atdhe Nuhiu Okay is a super sub keeping on that basis

Jordan Rhodes If we could get a decent offer from Norwich or some team would be prepared to sell but like to give him the chance

Lucas joao Give him one more season to prove yourself and grow under Bruce

sam winnall The same as give him one more chance to prove himself

Edited by Owlsend

1 hour ago, Owlsend said:

Lucas joao Give him one more season to prove yourself and grow under Bruce

sam winnall The same as give him one more chance to prove himself

Both had ample opportunities 

time to go 

Keiren Westwood

Cameron Dawson Loan Out

Joe Wildsmith Loan Out

Tom Lees 

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer

Jordan Thorniley

Matt Penney

Morgan Fox Sell

Joost van Aken Sell

Ashley Baker Loan Out

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson

Kieran Lee

Adam Reach  Sell

Joey Pelupessey Sell

Steven Fletcher Sell

Fernando Forestieri 

Atdhe Nuhiu Sell

Jordan Rhodes Sell

Lucas Joao 

Sam Winnall Sell 

My list, obviously with Fletcher and Reach it depends on ya getting a decent offer in (Reach mainly, someone to pay fletchers wage is the issue) if possible to loan out both keepers so they can play would help there development and bring in a specific back up keeper. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Keiren Westwood

Cameron Dawson Loan Out

Joe Wildsmith Loan Out

Tom Lees 

Dominic Iorfa

Liam Palmer

Jordan Thorniley

Matt Penney

Morgan Fox Sell

Joost van Aken Sell

Ashley Baker Loan Out

Barry Bannan

Sam Hutchinson

Kieran Lee

Adam Reach  Sell

Joey Pelupessey Sell

Steven Fletcher Sell

Fernando Forestieri 

Atdhe Nuhiu Sell

Jordan Rhodes Sell

Lucas Joao 

Sam Winnall Sell 

My list, obviously with Fletcher and Reach it depends on ya getting a decent offer in (Reach mainly, someone to pay fletchers wage is the issue) if possible to loan out both keepers so they can play would help there development and bring in a specific back up keeper. 

I’d agree with all that, but maybe send Dawson and Wildsmith out for half a season each, but yes they need games

3 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

As it stands …

Goalkeepers

Current

Dawson/Wildsmith – loan one of them out if possible, the youth team keeper Wallis is meant to be very good and should be adequate as third choice and in case of keepers you’ve got emergency loan and recall where necessary.

Targets

Full backs

Current

Penney – has a lot of potential but you’d want a recognised first choice ahead of him

Targets

So, we need to sign a first choice left back.  Hard to tell how good Aschraff Lazaar was on loan as injured a lot but might be fine with a full pre-season.  Jake Bidwell is out of contract at QPR and Luke Garbutt might be a loan option from Everton.

Centre backs

Current

Hutchinson – Still think he’s a natural CB and playing him here reduces his injuries and cards as well

Targets

So, we need to sign 1-2 centre backs.  Michael Hector is obviously first choice if we can get him.  I’d also look at potential loans for Grant Hanley (not played much for Norwich this season), Ashley Williams and Axel Tuanzebe.  On a free could there be a sentimental return for Gary Cahill?

Centre midfielders

Current

Hutchinson/Bannan/Pelupessy/Lee – On the face of it a good balance and cover in the middle with Reach also able to fill in. But Lee/Hutch probably can’t be relied upon for a full season.

Targets

Probably lack a bit of physicality in here.  Mo Diame on loan from Newcastle would be ideal.  Nick Powell is out of contract at Wigan and if we could get him as a number ten would give us a lot more options in how to play.

Wingers

Current

Reach – Only real option but also our most sellable asset if we do need to raise funds.

Targets

Will be an area where we need lots of activity, unless Bruce is tempted to use 3-5-2 as he has done before with Hull City and Birmingham and might suit us.  Potential loan winger targets would include Rolando Aarons, Patrick Roberts, Yannick Bolasie.  Could we also make a bid for Marcus Maddison at Peterborough?

Strikers

Current

Fletcher/Forestieri/Nuhiu/Joao/Rhodes/Winnall – All have their strengths but we probably still need to get shot of 2/6.  The annoying thing is that those on the biggest wages - Rhodes and Fletcher - will be hardest to shift which means we might have to sell the younger players taking up less wages (Joao and Nuhiu) which isn't the better long term interests of the club and would leave you with a foursome of strikers around 30 and not likely to all be fit for 40 games.  Only positive is if we can actually get fees for any of them.

Targets

In this area of the team will probably be more of a question of moving on, but someone up top with genuine pace is still something we’re lacking and should be considered if we can sell 2-3 of our forwards.

I think the keeper Dan Wallis will be one of the U23's released.  This season he has started 1 game for the U23's. Previous 2 years he had been pretty regular.  Not been injured as far as I know. Josh Render has been the U18 keeper.

21 hours ago, Brando17 said:

no disrespect but keeping Nuhui with his strike rate,and letting Winnall go with his,dont care who the manager is seems stupid

Other players would prefer to play against Winnall than Nuhiu, that in itself says a lot.

12 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

As it stands …

Goalkeepers

Current

Targets

Full backs

Current

Targets

Centre backs

Current

Targets

Centre midfielders

Current

Targets

Wingers

Current

Targets

Strikers

Current

Targets

Agree with much of above but think Bruce is coming round to fact FF isn't a striker as he's rubbish with back to goal. 

Thornily is actually a decent left sided CB and didn't put a foot wrong vs Higuain. 

Fox, Baker, Rhodes, JVA need moving on, we may pick up a fee for Winnall. 

If Bruce is willing to go 433 then keep FF, team may look at bit like this:

Westwood

LP/DI    Lees   Big Hec/Thorniley   New/Penney

New CDM fast powerful

Lee               Bannan 

Joao / new                      FF/ Reach

Fletcher / new can score chances

In short, Hec back, new LB, CDM, R/LW, mobile target man who can score more than one in eight. 

Be ideal if we can shift 4/5 more out incl. Rhodes and get the 4/5 in we need to inject more dynamism and consistency.