Thank you Gary Hooper

An excellent all round player, excellent technique, vision and passing ability, strong as an ox.

However he never finished top goal scorer, which was a surprise.

Last hit over 15 goals 6 years ago and his best season for us was 3 years ago, the only one where he played more than half the matches. Although before he got  that everlasting thigh strain he could have been on to an excellent season last year, 10 goals in 22.

He should be good for another club, if he can stay fit but in the end was not worth what we believe he was paid. Don't get me wrong I liked him but value for money he wasn't.

But then a lot of footballers aren't.

8 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Just imagine if he'd played for us in the early 90's, hooper behind hirst with waddle and Sheridan in midfield!

Not sure many 5 year olds could compete in the top league to be honest even with those players around them:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Gary Hooper is just back from a long injury, worked his way back to the first team , and ready to hit the ground running next season   he looks fine to me now . With Bruce’s care I’m sure we could have got a couple more seasons out of him and with everyone , barring the odd couple saying just how good he is and his link up play second to none at our club , I feel we should have kept hold of him and benefitted from his undoubted ability . 

It’s his wages mate ......he’s massively overpaid 

10 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Just imagine if he'd played for us in the early 90's, hooper behind hirst with waddle and Sheridan in midfield!

They would probably have said “ How come he gets a box for his family”...and lose some weight fat boy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

It’s his wages mate ......he’s massively overpaid 

You may laugh at my comment but I believe he was up there with our best strikers since hirsty simply for his link up play , vision and football brain . For him to be still here next season he would have had to have a new contract on far less money so the money wouldn’t have been such an issue . Anyway he’s gone so let’s move on and see who we get in , cant wait for next season .

Edited by dewsburyowl58

Great player at times, but sadly the times were far too infrequent.

I remember when we beat Cardiff late on in the 15/16 season and his performance was incredible. I thought he was the sort of player who would fire us to promotion eventually. Had he been fit for the 16/17 playoffs we would have beaten Huddersfield and Reading. 

Took more out of the club than he put in.

One of the highest paid players in our history.

Didn't play anywhere near enough games to justify those wages.

Very rarely fully fit. Very rarely in peak physical condition.

Great to finally get the drain off our books, and free up a huge chunk of wages.

Huge chunk sums him up. Thanks, and good luck in America Hooperman.

Good luck to whichever club trys to keep him fit next.

9 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You may laugh at my comment but I believe he was up there with our best strikers since hirsty simply for his link up play , vision and football brain . For him to be still here next season he would have had to have a new contract on far less money so the money wouldn’t have been such an issue . Anyway he’s gone so let’s move on and see who we get in , cant wait for next season .

Gary Hooper was a good player, but I wouldn't put him in the great for us category. For me Michael Antonio was a far better striker more suited to modern football.

I think the telling thing is that with both Lee and Hooper of a similar age and both coming back from long term injury, Steve Bruce has offered Lee a contract but not Hooper.

I don’t understand anyone that is genuinely upset that he’s gone??

Like most of our signings under CC, an extravagant flop. 

A couple of decent months in 3 and a half years on ridiculous wages. We can do far far far better 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, markg said:

Good luck to him. We will not have a striker as good as him for a long time

Dont be so sad, Hooper was never the striker for us that he could have been. As per Mr Farrell’s post I have to agree that he never looked in top condition, which is quite frustrating when you consider the ability he obviously has. 

Probably the most talented player at the club and a joy to watch.

Transformed our play when on the pitch, gave us intelligence, and purpose. 

If he hadn't got injured before the Hudds game then it probably would have been us in the prem.

Regardless of what people have said about him not being available, I have loved having him at the club and being able to watch such a good player.

Best of luck to him wherever he goes

Edited by Beholder
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper’s 10x the player Gregory is. Would be a big step down

agreed he's a step down, but thinking about wages and transfer fees and what we'd be allowed to deal in, I don't think he'd be bad. he's proven in the championship with a bang average side

I’d put him on the list of players that could have gone on to proper legend status at the club

On his day, brilliant to watch and definitely in our strongest starting 11

Unfortunately long term injuries and spells on the sidelines meant we had to forget about him these last 2 seasons

A real shame as I think when fit he could have made the difference in achieving a top 6 finish