Thank you Gary Hooper

3 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Is that the reason we lost that game , really ? 

Yes because that was at the end of the game.

Of course there are various factors why we hadn’t won the game prior to the shootout - I’m in a minority but I think injuries cost us (just as they did Brighton the year before). It’s forgotten by many that Fletcher had to come off injured after scoring his goal.

Totally right decision, dictated by injuries. However he was the only forward we had that could link from the back to bring us forward. He was also the only one capable of finding the net anywhere near regular enough to bring success. Others need to be shown the door. Fletcher is the only other forward we have that really has shown enough this year, and his wage probably means he will go. AN and LJ could go now for me and I hope JR joins them. 

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Totally right decision, dictated by injuries. However he was the only forward we had that could link from the back to bring us forward. He was also the only one capable of finding the net anywhere near regular enough to bring success. Others need to be shown the door. Fletcher is the only other forward we have that really has shown enough this year, and his wage probably means he will go. AN and LJ could go now for me and I hope JR joins them. 

Thoughts on Kieran Lee then ? 

Gary Hooper is just back from a long injury, worked his way back to the first team , and ready to hit the ground running next season   he looks fine to me now . With Bruce’s care I’m sure we could have got a couple more seasons out of him and with everyone , barring the odd couple saying just how good he is and his link up play second to none at our club , I feel we should have kept hold of him and benefitted from his undoubted ability . 

46 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Thoughts on Kieran Lee then ? 

Kieran Lee isn’t a forward. But if you are talking from an injury point of view, it’s a risk to keep him. Guess SB thought he was willing to take one risk but not two. 

42 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Gary Hooper is just back from a long injury, worked his way back to the first team , and ready to hit the ground running next season   he looks fine to me now . With Bruce’s care I’m sure we could have got a couple more seasons out of him and with everyone , barring the odd couple saying just how good he is and his link up play second to none at our club , I feel we should have kept hold of him and benefitted from his undoubted ability . 

It's a gamble but I think Bruce made the right decisions for a few reasons:

1. Hooper has only made about 80 appearances in five seasons.  

2. He is almost certainly one of our higher earners.

3. We have Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall, Joao, Forestieri and Rhodes.  We need to trim a couple of strikers from the squad.

4. Hooper is 31 years old.

I'm a fan of Hooper's ability but on balance I think it was the right decision.

1 minute ago, Pale Rider said:

Kieran Lee isn’t a forward. But if you are talking from an injury point of view, it’s a risk to keep him. Guess SB thought he was willing to take one risk but not two. 

Also, on significantly lower wages than Hooper one would imagine. And perhaps prepared to accept a shorter contract?

5 minutes ago, September65 said:

Also, on significantly lower wages than Hooper one would imagine. And perhaps prepared to accept a shorter contract?

Hoopers contract was up he could have been offered less and it would have been justified 

52 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Hoopers contract was up he could have been offered less and it would have been justified 

The justified thing was getting rid of him . He’s always injured , he was knackered when when signed him. No more room for crocks . I really can’t understand how people are wanting to extend the contracts of these crocks . If he was out of contract , Hutchinson would’ve gone for me as well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

It's a gamble but I think Bruce made the right decisions for a few reasons:

1. Hooper has only made about 80 appearances in five seasons.  

2. He is almost certainly one of our higher earners.

3. We have Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall, Joao, Forestieri and Rhodes.  We need to trim a couple of strikers from the squad.

4. Hooper is 31 years old.

I'm a fan of Hooper's ability but on balance I think it was the right decision.

I knew hooper was leaving it was a no brainer he is on appx 30k a week didn't play for 16 months until the other week and during his time here has had several other times out injured for upto 3 months he has been here just under 4 seasons and has missed appx 2 and a quarter seasons its like having a player on 70k a week if he was fit and played very week. he is a talented player but we just cant afford players that hardly ever play . bruce has got rid of all the players I wanted gone ,and done the right thing offering westwood,palmer new deals and giving lee the summer to earn a new 1 year deal. 

All these people getting their knickers in a twist over his wages; not his fault the club offered that much / met his demands.

All these people saying "xxx cost / is paid less than Hooper"; it was a great piece of business at the time, a proven Championship striker in his prime. Not his fault injuries blighted his Wednesday career. Also, never understood why hindsight isn't used by more clubs when buying players... We were foolish to get him knowing how his future would be blighted...

That said, right decision to say goodbye and wish him well... I'm having a quid on him to score against us if he stays in the Championship as he remains a proven Championship goalscorer, albeit with question marks over his hamstrings made of playdough.

All the best Gary, thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

Best centre forward to play for our club since Hirsty.

Good luck Hooperman wherever you go.

Crikey thats actually quite disturbing. Without meaning to discredit hooper

• Like 1