Thank you Gary Hooper

55 minutes ago, lincolnowl said:

Always got the feeling he really didn’t like our fans. Very indifferent. He’s not alone in that, I always think Tom Lees is reluctant to show any passion with our fans and he’s the captain. 

A very talented player, but his initial month or so was rubbish and he looked very unfit. 

Have to question his professionalism too, always very heavy in pre-season. 

He was a good player for us. But real value for money? Probably not. 

A mate of mine knows a couple of players. He says off the pitch Hooper is quiet and reserved, almost quite a boring bloke, so probably just not in his character to interact with fans like some of the other players do.

Apparently an offer from MLS was on the table but GH didn't fancy it.

There was a mutual interest with Celtic but GH doubted it was the right time. This was about 6 weeks ago.

14 hours ago, vulva said:

Tough love. We didn’t pay Hooper and many more in excess if £1m per year to finish 12th. 

The vast majority of this squad are failures, and we should clear the vast majority out.

We have a very soft fan underbelly, obsessed with nostalgia and away followings. It’s left us in this league for a generation and the pub team across the road £130m richer. 

Brilliant post that. Sums a lot of us perfectly.

Edited by Shifty Powers

Some of the comments are absolutely ridiculous 

Gary Hooper is/was a top player and was an absolute dream to watch play 

The best technically gifted and absolutely monumental player in our first few seasons to how we played - anyone who says anything other doesn’t have a clue

Gutted to see him go, yes he was on a big wage, but we gave him the furkin contract - he’s still an absolute unreal player

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You base this opinion on what ? 

Brentford bought Ollie Watkins for 3 million ...far less wages than hooper ....Watkins would have been a far better buy than hooper...

Just now, FlyingOwl said:

Should move to America and become a legend whilst making money to set him up for life.

With the slower pace of the game out there and his ridiculous footballing brain...he’ll be an asset. 

He’s already made his money to set him up for life ...with Wednesday!!!!

3 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Brentford bought Ollie Watkins for 3 million ...far less wages than hooper ....Watkins would have been a far better buy than hooper...

Maupay cost £1.6m. 

We’ve been rinsed by a number of players in recent years, and some fans just can’t see it. They are in denial. 

When fit and available he’s been a very good player for us. Sadly he hasn’t been available as much as we needed him to be, if he had been I’m sure we would’ve been promoted by now. Bruce has to look to the future and as hard as I’m sure this decision was, it’s the right one for the club and the player.

Like many of our quality players over the last 4 years - Hutch, Lee, FF and Abdi (based on his pedigree when he signed), they struggle with the competitive nature and longevity of the Championship, and spend too much time out of the team. Add to that the likes of Winnall, Van Aken, and dud loanees, we have near on a full team permanently injured - it's been like this for years and we need to move on.

To compete seriously we need a settled and fit squad, which costs less and which is pretty much permanently available.

54 minutes ago, vulva said:

Maupay cost £1.6m. 

We’ve been rinsed by a number of players in recent years, and some fans just can’t see it. They are in denial. 

Fans are not in denial , players will miss parts of their careers through injury it’s part and parcel of the game , we have been extremely unlucky with injuries, but you see this as being ripped off by players . Can’t recall these kind of comments whilst we were reaching 2 play offs and playing football the  right way for a change .

I'm glad he's been released. Not because he wasnt a very decent player when actually on the pitch but because I think this decision in particular hopefully heralds a new dawn of thinking with our heads and not our hearts. 

If he was offered a new deal at 50% (unsubstantiated) I think that was more than fair on our part and he may live to regret it. There will be a flood of younger exciting players available this close season due to the new loan rules coming in to place and many current pros in the lower divisions may not get contracts at all. 

I liked him but he got far more out of us than we did out of him. 

• Like 1

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

Fans are not in denial , players will miss parts of their careers through injury it’s part and parcel of the game , we have been extremely unlucky with injuries, but you see this as being ripped off by players . Can’t recall these kind of comments whilst we were reaching 2 play offs and playing football the  right way for a change .

And a manager and players that bottled it in the play offs !!!

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

My second favorite player of the Chansiri era, after Bannan. 

Far and away our best forward.

Best goal-scorer I have watched for us.

Sadly impossible to keep him any longer. Made total sense to release him. Hope he  goes to a non-Championship club and thrives, and gets the rub of the green on injuries.

Big thank you and best wishes.

Agree. I understand the decision to release him but it’s made me realise we’ve let our best striker go.

Good luck and thank you Gary Hooper. A very good striker at Championship level who won’t have a problem finding another club.

A player highlighting Mr C’s ambitions for the club.

Stay injury free young Sir, thank you, and all the best.

Sheffield Wednesday onwards and upwards.

• Like 1