Thank you Gary Hooper

Would have been ridiculous to keep him. 

Talented? Yes, no doubt and on his day one of the best players at the club. 

But not much point if you can't play for 75% of the season. 

Bruce knows what he's doing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You base this opinion on what ? 

I would hazard a guess at his waist size.

A professional athlete has to keep fit and not relying on past glories, if the desire gone then you burden on the wage bill.

1 hour ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

My understanding is Hooper was offered a new deal on circa 50 percent of his current terms ... My understanding is also that terms on the new deal couldn't be agreed .... Thanks for the memories Gary Hooper .... We move on .

Westwood been offered a new contract.no length of contract released,Bruce wants to keep Kieran Lee,so would suggest that a contract is in the offing,If as you suggest Hooper has turned down a contract surely it would have been made clear that he had turned down a new contract and not just put on the released list...........................but hey,thats just me.

• Like 1

As technically gifted as a French renaissance artist 

Sadly the work ethic & heart of an asthmatic scouser and the reliability of a second hand 3 wheel van but with the cost of a brand new Porsche 

I will miss him adjusting the elastic of his shorts and trying to stretch his shirt, who wouldn’t, but for the good of the club it’s 100% right to get rid 

• Haha 2

Crying shame, unplayable linkman and finisher. I honestly think Bruce will be gutted as with Rhodes and Winnall we have too many expensive strikers and have to balance the books. 

If both Rhodes and Hooper were out of contract this summer and Bruce given the option of Hooper fully fit for 60pc of games vs Rhodes for 100pc of games, Rhodes goes. 

Hoping Hooper goes to US for a decent payday and new life experience and doesn't end up at one of the relegated clubs like Huddersfield whilst we're stuck with 'running like I've pooped mesel' Rhodes

Edited by DuttyTeabags
You
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Westwood been offered a new contract.no length of contract released,Bruce wants to keep Kieran Lee,so would suggest that a contract is in the offing,If as you suggest Hooper has turned down a contract surely it would have been made clear that he had turned down a new contract and not just put on the released list...........................but hey,thats just me.

I think there's obvious reasons on both sides why the failure to agree a deal is not broadcast in full.  We will see if anything comes out.

I understand Kieran Lee has been offered an initial 6 month deal. 

I understand Kieran Westwood is to all intents and purposes a done deal, contract being ratified by legal teams.  Expect 2 years. 

Always got the feeling he really didn’t like our fans. Very indifferent. He’s not alone in that, I always think Tom Lees is reluctant to show any passion with our fans and he’s the captain. 

A very talented player, but his initial month or so was rubbish and he looked very unfit. 

Have to question his professionalism too, always very heavy in pre-season. 

He was a good player for us. But real value for money? Probably not. 

Became vital in CCs second season as a link man more than anything. His touch, strength and passing became more of an asset than his actual finishing but having him arrive late in the box was crucial too. 

Nonetheless. I don’t think that kind of player will be as crucial under Bruce as we won’t be playing through the lines as much as we did under Carlos. I suspect our football to be more to the point. 

Nonetheless, I agree he was a quality player when we could get him on the pitch. I was at Fulham away when he combined with Bannan and Forestieri to set up a great team goal. Then second half he did his hamstring performing a back heel and I think that about summed up his time with us.

Edited by Bluesteel

He scored 30 goals in 81 matches.

we paid £2m transfer fee and and approximately £35K per week in wages and employers national insurance over approximately 130 weeks.

so in total he cost us approximately £6.55 million.  Or £218K per goal. Or £80K per match!

Not disastrous like Abdi, Jones and Rhodes (so far) but we should expect better.  Not sad at all to see him leave.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Like 1

I liked Gary Hooper when he played but he’s on a huge wage and had a pretty bad injury every season. We can’t carry players like that any more. I think He’ll end up in the MLS and do really well for a couple of seasons. 

My second favorite player of the Chansiri era, after Bannan. 

Far and away our best forward.

Best goal-scorer I have watched for us.

Sadly impossible to keep him any longer. Made total sense to release him. Hope he  goes to a non-Championship club and thrives, and gets the rub of the green on injuries.

Big thank you and best wishes.

13 hours ago, Sonny said:

Shame, he’s absolute quality of a type we now don’t have and probably won’t next season either... because most teams in the division don’t. I’m guessing he’s just on too much money for us to contemplate matching again and or for him to consider dropping down from.

Fair enough and good luck to him.

The wage bill will be sighing with relief at these six players being released. I hope it goes some way towards resolving P&S and allows to compete next season.

Cheers Gary

his replacement will be more 'mobile' and have to score more goals per season.

9 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He scored 30 goals in 81 matches.

we paid £2m transfer fee and and approximately £35K per week in wages and employers national insurance over approximately 130 weeks.

so in total he cost us approximately £6.55 million.  Or £218K per goal. Or £80K per match!

Not disastrous like Abdi, Jones and Rhodes (so far) but we should expect better.  Not sad at all to see him leave.

31 goals in 6295 minutes.

A goal every 200 minutes over his time here - that’s excellent.

And to throw in my controversial bit, had CC not chosen to partner Hooper with Forestieri we would have scored many more goals and had a far better chance of promotion. What a waste.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

31 goals in 6295 minutes.

A goal every 200 minutes over his time here - that’s excellent.

And to throw in my controversial bit, had CC not chosen to partner Hooper with Forestieri we would have scored many more goals and had a far better chance of promotion. What a waste.

His goal per minutes is good.

However, unfortunately I got it wrong.  The cost I quoted was based on this time last year.

He actually cost us £8.3 million. At £259K per goal and £96K per appearance.

Anything but excellent!

18 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

His goal per minutes is good.

However, unfortunately I got it wrong.  The cost I quoted was based on this time last year.

He actually cost us £8.3 million. At £259K per goal and £96K per appearance.

Anything but excellent!

The cost per game of many of our better players is poor to awful.

Only Westwood, Bannan, Reach, Palmer and Fletcher fare well when you look at it.

In particular, Reach and Bannan.