Thank you Gary Hooper

Thanks for the memories, showed glimpses of quality. Had the touch and brain to be playing at a much higher level but sadly didn't have the commitment to get his body into the required shape of the modern footballer.

You've got act like professional athletes now, hit the gym, eat the right food etc, for me this is where hopper fell short.

When fit our best player absolute class footballer 

I think he’s been the victim of an overloaded striker department I’m no doubt that if 3 or four strikers was out of contract then hooper would have been retained but this 

and his wages with the injury concerns have sealed his fate 

I’ve realky enjoyed watching hooper over the years 

that first season with him 

Fessi, bannan, lee all playing that sexy football has got to be the most attractive football I’ve seen since big Ron was here 

good luck Gary 

42 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Agreed. He’d do well in the MLS 

Don't think Hooper will get a move to the MLS,  the wages on average are much less than the championship. Only the very top players who can raise the profile of th club get the big bucks. As high as some rate Hooper he is not a big enough name to draw fans in.

Not many if any aging, coming back from injury ex championship players in the MLS.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Tough love. We didn’t pay Hooper and many more in excess if £1m per year to finish 12th. 

The vast majority of this squad are failures, and we should clear the vast majority out.

We have a very soft fan underbelly, obsessed with nostalgia and away followings. It’s left us in this league for a generation and the pub team across the road £130m richer. 

Quite possibly the best post I've seen for a long time, there are some fools actually saying releasing Hooper is a joke on social media.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Quite possibly the best post I've seen for a long time, there are some fools actually saying releasing Hooper is a joke on social media.

I expect you think they are "Deluded".....

:Sid:                     

The first time he came back after his injury layoff it was embarrassing how much weight he had put on ....good player on his day but I think he alway saw Wednesday as easy golden handshake to see his career out ....A lot hungrier younger fitter forwards out there on far less money

• Like 1

Interesting that there are loads of tweets from Wednesday fans tonight wishing him luck and thanking him for his time at Wednesday. The one Hooper decides to retweet is from a Celtic fan calling for them to resign him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Couldn’t agree more

Obsessed with a league cup win 30 years, 10 page thread on whether the attendance was 22 or 23k,  

It boils my p!ss at times . So many fans obsessed with nostalgia waffling on about ‘when fit’ ‘if fit he’s one of the best players in the league’ blah blah blah whilst in actual fact In  4 years he’s scored what billy pig has this season. It’s about time the penny drops, to advance from this league you need players who actually play 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The club have made the right decision in releasing him.

Wrong side of 30 now, and on big wages which will be freed up to bring in a couple of players who will hopefully push us on.

In 3 years he's played less than 70 games for us, we cannot afford to carry a player that doesn't play regularly enough. 

Good player on his day, but not exceptional enough to warrant another big contract.

35 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Interesting that there are loads of tweets from Wednesday fans tonight wishing him luck and thanking him for his time at Wednesday. The one Hooper decides to retweet is from a Celtic fan calling for them to resign him. 

He’s never shown much interest with the fans. Maybe that’s just his character.

Tbf, if moving the likes of Hooper on means we have money freed up to bring in several new faces then I'm up for it.

Extremely talented player and in a different set of circumstances, you'd want him to stay.

As it is, he is one of the bigger earners and has numerous spells injured on the sidelines. 

Bruce is someone to trust. 

Edited by SiJ

Just to point out I think this is the right decision from Bruce 100%. Hooper just gave us some great moments and for that I will be thankful for. Contributed more than Abdi, Jones and Boyd combined. 

Agree with the fact as a fanbase we’re too soft. Absolutely correct decision from Bruce. Surprised he kept Lee, someone I would have released as well. 

53 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

The first time he came back after his injury layoff it was embarrassing how much weight he had put on ....good player on his day but I think he alway saw Wednesday as easy golden handshake to see his career out ....A lot hungrier younger fitter forwards out there on far less money

You base this opinion on what ?