Thank you Gary Hooper

One of the highlights of a disappointing afternoon for me was watching his complete mastery of a football at half time. Yes I know he's a professional footballer but his control is on a different level. Then that bit at the end when he cushion volleyed that towering, dropping ball, over his shoulder, straight into the waiting ball net the guy was holding.

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Haha how  do you know the players wages ? 

You can see in the club accounts how big individual teams wage bills are. Teams have been promoted like the Pigs and Huddersfield in recent seasons with much smaller budgets. Thought that was common knowledge to be fair. 

5 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

His fault that ? Of course it isn't , so who gave you all this info into costs ? 

Nothing to with fault. It’s not Van Akens fault he defends like Rusty Lee. 

In terms of cost it’s a very educated guess. Things have moved on since your day when Jimmy Hill sorted out the £100 per week. 

For all the fans that are gutted I bet Hooper is gutted as well. He will be lucky to get a quarter of the wage he was on at Hillsborough again in his career. A quality player but massive fitness issues and nowhere near worth the money he has been paid. Absolutely the right decision from Steve Bruce and I’m pleased he has made it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

You can see in the club accounts how big individual teams wage bills are. Teams have been promoted like the Pigs and Huddersfield in recent seasons with much smaller budgets. Thought that was common knowledge to be fair. 

Well let’s see and hope that his replacement is on a par or better and we get him cheaper then .

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

Well let’s see and hope that his replacement is on a par or better and we get him cheaper then .

I think thats what we'll hopefully get with Bruces experience. I'd love a smaller, fitter and more reliable squad. I think keeping the players happier and playing in a familiar system that suits them would gain more points than our vast, unfit and constantly chopped and changed side with bigger egos and wages and last pay days. 

4 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Every centre forward that has/will get promoted from this league this  season will be on less money. 

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

Tough love. We didn’t pay Hooper and many more in excess if £1m per year to finish 12th. 

The vast majority of this squad are failures, and we should clear the vast majority out.

We have a very soft fan underbelly, obsessed with nostalgia and away followings. It’s left us in this league for a generation and the pub team across the road £130m richer. 

Couldn’t agree more

Obsessed with a league cup win 30 years, 10 page thread on whether the attendance was 22 or 23k,  

Some terrific goals against Cardiff & Leeds - on his day he was a very clever player but too many missed matches due to injury and when he’d been out for a bit he always seemed to need at least two or three matches to get back up to speed. 

Hooper didn't exactly beat down the door to sign for us initially. It took some time for him to come and he didn't set the world on fire with many questioning his ability. He then hit a purple patch which saw us to the play off final but then I don't think he was the most professional footballer in how he looked after himself off the field. He always looked overweight in pre-season and coupled with his long periods of injury I don't think he will be missed that much.

I bet Bruce would have preferred the other strikers to be out of contract instead of hooper but unfortunately not, with this in mind i do agree with letting hooper go, Bruce has said plenty of times we have too many strikers at the club so its the only sensible decision to make.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Hooper didn't exactly beat down the door to sign for us initially. It took some time for him to come and he didn't set the world on fire with many questioning his ability. He then hit a purple patch which saw us to the play off final but then I don't think he was the most professional footballer in how he looked after himself off the field. He always looked overweight in pre-season and coupled with his long periods of injury I don't think he will be missed that much.

When he signed from Norwich I saw him in the Mercure in town. He looked like Bella Emberg after a big Sunday dinner. 

Edited by vulva
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Far too much sentiment with football fans. Hooper should be thanking us for paying £41 per game whilst he sits at home collecting his £40,000 per week whilst watching Homes under the Hammer for 14 months. 

Good player on his day but let’s not get carried away. If he was that good he wouldn’t have found a retirement home here on loan from Norwich reserves. 

You talk balls

• Like 1