Thank you Gary Hooper

Agreed - he's been a good lad for us, and would have scored far more if he'd been consistently fit. Will be interesting to see if he gets a deal with another Championship club. Can't picture Boyd, Abdi, Jones or Pudil in this division next season, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Matias go back in Portugal...

• Like 1

Far too much sentiment with football fans. Hooper should be thanking us for paying £41 per game whilst he sits at home collecting his £40,000 per week whilst watching Homes under the Hammer for 14 months. 

Good player on his day but let’s not get carried away. If he was that good he wouldn’t have found a retirement home here on loan from Norwich reserves. 

Don't think I've ever seen another player at Wednesday whose footballing brain was so clearly their strongest asset. Incredibly intelligent player. Very often felt like a real connoisseur's pleasure to watch him when fit, if that makes any sense - there was a higher level you could appreciate him on.

Flipside is that if he'd EVER been as fit and mobile as he should be at his age, he'd have absolutely minced this division. Frustrating times for all, I'd imagine. Thank you though GH, you gave us a great deal of very deep joy in the annoyingly reduced amount of pitch time you had.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vulva said:

Far too much sentiment with football fans. Hooper should be thanking us for paying £41 per game whilst he sits at home collecting his £40,000 per week whilst watching Homes under the Hammer for 14 months. 

Good player on his day but let’s not get carried away. If he was that good he wouldn’t have found a retirement home here on loan from Norwich reserves. 

Yes I’m sure he loved being injured , he has been top quality for us , you have your opinion of course ,mine is you are very very harsh .

Edited by dewsburyowl58

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Yes I’m sure he loved being injured , he has been top quality for us , you have your opinion of course ,mine is you are very very harsh .

Tough love. We didn’t pay Hooper and many more in excess if £1m per year to finish 12th. 

The vast majority of this squad are failures, and we should clear the vast majority out.

We have a very soft fan underbelly, obsessed with nostalgia and away followings. It’s left us in this league for a generation and the pub team across the road £130m richer. 

• Thanks 4

Just now, vulva said:

Tough love. We didn’t pay Hooper and many more in excess if £1m per year to finish 12th. 

The vast majority of this squad are failures, and we should clear the vast majority out.

We have a very soft fan underbelly, obsessed with nostalgia and away followings. It’s left us in this league for a generation and the pub team across the road £130m richer. 

Agree with that. Teams have been promoted in recent seasons paying half what we pay our players and also with much lower crowds and less 'history'. Yet we hold on, like Chansiri did, to these players that have failed each year and get better in quality when they're injured. 

Just now, vulva said:

I’m talking only about Gary Hooper and for me he has been a joy to watch , his link up play and finishing we’re quality give the man some credit . You must be very pleased now yes ? 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

So it's the fans fault? Is that you Mr Chansiri?

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

He didn't look that out of shape to me :D

Shame, he’s absolute quality of a type we now don’t have and probably won’t next season either... because most teams in the division don’t. I’m guessing he’s just on too much money for us to contemplate matching again and or for him to consider dropping down from.

Fair enough and good luck to him.

The wage bill will be sighing with relief at these six players being released. I hope it goes some way towards resolving P&S and allows to compete next season.

Cheers Gary

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I’m talking only about Gary Hooper and for me he has been a joy to watch , his link up play and finishing we’re quality give the man some credit . You must be very pleased now yes ? 

Kind of forgot. He hasn’t played for well over a year, and in total he’s scored around 35 goals in his entire career here. 

Its only Gary Hooper, who with transfer fee has rinsed us for around £10m in 3 years and left us lower in the league than before he arrived. 

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Agree with that. Teams have been promoted in recent seasons paying half what we pay our players and also with much lower crowds and less 'history'. Yet we hold on, like Chansiri did, to these players that have failed each year and get better in quality when they're injured. 

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Haha how  do you know the players wages ? 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Kind of forgot. He hasn’t played for well over a year, and in total he’s scored around 35 goals in his entire career here. 

Its only Gary Hooper, who with transfer fee has rinsed us for around £10m in 3 years and left us lower in the league than before he arrived. 

His fault that ? Of course it isn't , so who gave you all this info into costs ?